Im not hearing anything special...
Mar 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, welcome to reality. Reading this forum will convince you that there are a billion degrees of difference, but the reality is, once you're already enjoying the music, more expensive headphones won't necessarily make that better. Learn from this, and you'll end up happier than most folks here.

That is so true. There are indeed some differences you learn to hear over time, however once you have so much quality in a product just be happy with it. Upgrading will not give you that oomh that the first time you hear good headphones do. You will start trying to give yourself reasons to believe the money you spent was not a loss and even imagine it is sounding better than it already is.

I think i have reached the level with my setup that really makes me enjoy my music. I could make use of a DAC, but I don't expect an immense improvement.

Upgrade mode: OFF

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 49
I noticed the exact same thing with my D1001's.. but after 50 hours or so, I noticed a great improvement.

DealExtreme: $3.43 In-Ear Stereo Earbuds (3.5mm Metallic Orange)
I had those beforehand, I didn't really notice a big improvement from them at first..
but now.. I could not listen to those anymore.
They sound hollow..

Let them burn in for 50 hours before you give up on them

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 49
I went from $2.99 earbuds to $50 K414Ps to $150 Q40s (Canada, remember this...), and each step so far has been VERY noticeable. However, I doubt I'll get anything sounding "better," if you will, so the only incentive I have to buy new headphones now is for different applications. Eg, I do not take my Q40s for portables... but I'm considering buying D1001's for that.

To OP: If you don't notice the difference right away, that's ok. The difference at first is subtle, but listen to songs that you really liked or listened to a lot, and more often than not, you can hear things that you weren't able to hear before. Hell, you might not even like certain sounds after you find out that your old phones have been doctoring them so hard. For me, I noticed subtle sounds in the music that I simply didn't hear before. I also learned what bass really sounds like (earbuds had none, K414Ps are MUDDY). If you're fine with your old headphones and these don't thrill you after you go looking for improvements, then you don't need to buy expensive headphones to be happy
biggrin.gif
I, however, noticed a difference, and using my K414Ps again after a few hours with the Q40s is always a noticeable downgrade. Also, different genres = different areas of music. My old speakers (Z-2300) had REALLY recessed trebles. When I listened to treble-heavy music on them, they sounded fine...until I got got AV40 monitors and the BX5As that I returned and will be rebuying eventually. The same effect also comes with better headphones. I never experienced this because I don't listen to treble heavy music and never did a comparison (although I should!)

[size=xx-small]System Status:
Upgrades - OFF
Alternatives - ON
[/size]

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is so true. There are indeed some differences you learn to hear over time, however once you have so much quality in a product just be happy with it. Upgrading will not give you that oomh that the first time you hear good headphones do. You will start trying to give yourself reasons to believe the money you spent was not a loss and even imagine it is sounding better than it already is.

I think i have reached the level with my setup that really makes me enjoy my music. I could make use of a DAC, but I don't expect an immense improvement.

Upgrade mode: OFF

Well said. Welcome to the reality
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 49
There was definately a point where I was really disappointed with my dt770 but after a couple months I really surprised myself with how much I was enjoying my music. The other thing is that your ears are used to what the Skull Candy give you, so now your ears are picking up whats not there as opposed to the improvements. Just give the cans time to burn in and give yourself a chance to get used to the new sound. I'm sure you'll really notice the difference when you in back to the SC after a month or two.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 49
I hated the DT770s when I first got them. Now I like them better than my other ones. I just got the HD650s, I don't like them much. I'm burning them in and I will probably like them more after a few more days. It may take getting use to, or burn in, before headphones sound their best. I wouldn't give up on them just yet, and if you don't like them, sell them and get a different pair. They're just headphones.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #37 of 49
I've got to say, after 25 hours of burn in, I'm really hearing a difference. For the past week, I have been listening to colour revolt's EP with my skullcandy headphones. Listening to it tonight, I'm hearing so much for than I ever did before. The only thing I have noticed is that I need the trebel boost eq setting turned on in order for these to really sound like I want them. Otherwise them just seem...dull I suppose.

I'm looking foreward to seeing what another 25 hours brings. Thanks for all the help again guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got to say, after 25 hours of burn in, I'm really hearing a difference. For the past week, I have been listening to colour revolt's EP with my skullcandy headphones. Listening to it tonight, I'm hearing so much for than I ever did before. The only thing I have noticed is that I need the trebel boost eq setting turned on in order for these to really sound like I want them. Otherwise them just seem...dull I suppose.

I'm looking foreward to seeing what another 25 hours brings. Thanks for all the help again guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a lot of us get high expectations and are a little let down when we hear a new headphone, because of this.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Denons.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I recieved my Denon D1001s in the mail. The was excited and couldn't get through the packaging fast enough. I put them on and was quite impressed with the comfort. I plugged them into my iPod and was expected to be blown away but I wasn't
frown.gif
. They didn't seem like there was anything overly speical. Things seem a little bit clearer and I can pick up a few more details in songs that I didn't hear before.

Will things improve with burn in (only 3 hours of music and 6 hours of white noise so far) or did I just hype myself up over the months of research?

That won't happen till you upgrade to the D2000-D7000.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, welcome to reality. Reading this forum will convince you that there are a billion degrees of difference, but the reality is, once you're already enjoying the music, more expensive headphones won't necessarily make that better. Learn from this, and you'll end up happier than most folks here.

Better gear will make listening to music more enjoyable. Can I enjoy music with 10.00 ear buds? Sure can.. But some people will pay a large premium to get more enjoyment out of their music. Sadly, this is frowned upon, and words like, excessive, wasteful, 'dumb', etc come to sprout. My first audition with a 1,000 plus headphone was mind numblingly good, and will probably get a E8, E9, AKG1000, HD800, D7000, or GS1000i, and give it serious listening time to see if these 1,000 plus cans are worth keeping.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about the whole "DENON D1001 RE-CABLE=90% DENON D2000" deal?
smily_headphones1.gif

Better yet.. I'll give you my R10 for your Mark modded and recabled D5000.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #43 of 49
The ability to appreciate fine audio is something that needs to be trained, to be developed over time. Which is why I am disgusted by those who jump straight to the HD650/K701 without any experience or idea as to what they are getting. Just spend more time with the D1001, the superiority of it over the skullcandy should be obvious the more you listen to it.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 49
1. There are no magic phones which could make BB King sounding like Pavarotti.
icon10.gif
If you can notice a little improvement on each $100 you spend, that is good enough. You are pursuing perfection in a already perfect world.
wink.gif

2. I was listening and comparing my new toys at least 3hrs a day in the past two months. Now I start to know what a tight bass is, what is a sparkle on treble, what is the soundstage....., but still there are some things I can not notice, like what is a smooth mids….. Anyway I need to train my ears and I know I love my phones more and more.
k701smile.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #45 of 49
If you enjoy your music through your current headphones, theres no need to "upgrade" unless you want to potentially enjoy them at a different (perhaps better) level. You might have no idea technology can do in sound reproduction. Aspiring to have a great set of cans (wtb HD600, AKG-K1000, RS1/MSpro) is something I wont give up on a long time. What could be better than having free "live-quality" sound in your house where you are in control of the volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back