Im not hearing anything special...
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I was listening through Skullcandy Ink'd earphones, so I was really expecting these to blow me away but so far it seems that the bass in the skullcandys are louder (although not as clear)

Also, most of my music is encoded at 320kbps and I even have the original .wav file of a bands rcording (1400kbps) so I doubt it is lack of quality in the recording that is wrong

I'll let them burn in over the weekend and hopefully will notice some difference

I think you're expecting the wrong things from these headphones. In audiophile terms, a "good" headphone means one that reproduces sound as real as possible. A guitar would sound like a real guitar, vocals would sound like real people singing.

A clearer bass, and
Quote:

Things seem a little bit clearer and I can pick up a few more details in songs that I didn't hear before.

are precious things in audiophile-land. Loud, thick bass, which sounds nothing like a real bass or drums, are not.

Note that I'm not saying that you are wrong and audiophiles are right, or that your taste is any worse than audiophile's.
I'm just conveying my take on the situation: you're looking for different things than what most people here in this forum are looking for (and give praise of)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 49
same thing happened with me.i think it was the recessed mids and unlively character of the sound that i wasnt expecting. i wasnt impressed. i got the es7 to compare their contrasting styles.the es7 is forward and bright sounding with a prominent midrange. i still prefer the es7 midrange but am ok with the denons with everything else after getting used to it. im keeping the denons based on comfort alone and returning the es7's because theyre uncomfortable and im already tired of cleaning the smudges i get on the easily scratchable shiny surface.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 49
Honestly.... I have gone between my D1001's for music against my 780's and i prefer the Denon's for most of my music taste's over the Ultrasone's. Call me mad but the Denon's are a great little pair of headphones. Once i recieved my E5 they did open up a little bit more then straight out of my A818. By far my fav portables to date ive owned
smily_headphones1.gif

So give it some time and you will come to enjoy them. I havent owned my 780's for long, so im not giving up on them just yet either!

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appreciation comes later. Learning to listen to headphones instead of music takes some time.

This is almost Orwellian, yet highly revealing of the focus of this forum.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly.... I have gone between my D1001's for music against my 780's and i prefer the Denon's for most of my music taste's over the Ultrasone's. Call me mad but the Denon's are a great little pair of headphones. Once i recieved my E5 they did open up a little bit more then straight out of my A818. By far my fav portables to date ive owned
smily_headphones1.gif

So give it some time and you will come to enjoy them. I havent owned my 780's for long, so im not giving up on them just yet either!

ever considered getting rid of the ultrasone and d1001 and getting a d2000 to replace both?

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 49
To the OP, welcome to reality. Reading this forum will convince you that there are a billion degrees of difference, but the reality is, once you're already enjoying the music, more expensive headphones won't necessarily make that better. Learn from this, and you'll end up happier than most folks here.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appreciation comes later. Learning to listen to headphones instead of music takes some time.

No offense, but I think this is the worst advice that could be given to a new headphone hobbyist. I pity anyone who is listening to headphones instead of music. That's like driving a car to get rid of the gas in the tank.
The music is what all this is about.

OP: Don't worry about the brand, or how much it cost, or if anyone here has "blessed" it or not. Find a headphone that makes you smile when you put on your favorite recording. And for god's sake, listen to the music.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 49
I'm still a bit flummoxed by this. On the one hand, most of my non-audiophile friends, when they try my D1001's out, say something to the effect of "wow, those are some awesome headphones, how much did you pay for them?" And surprisingly they don't recoil in horror when I tell them "I think $90."

I'm the kind of person who has no problem listening to pop music in 128 kbps, who will listen through the headphone jack of an iPod for convenience, etc. But to me, these headphones were like night and day between my iBuds, the Skullcandy Hesh's and even my Sennheiser HD201's. I mean I am not sure what was expected, they don't "change the music" they just reveal a little more of it. And I'd say that I am definitely not trying to listen to headphones. I've done a bit of professional sound and if anything I've developed my ear/brain to try to ignore the difference between headphones.

I guess part of the problem might be that head-fi tends to under-emphasize how subtle the differences in headphones are. Most people only really care if an audio system can do 3 things

1) Reproduce the principal melody/lead vocal
2) Give a sense of the harmonic structure (chord changes)
3) Reproduce the main beat

Anything else is just extra, really.

I don't know of any headphones that can't do this. When people on here say that there are night and day differences, its mostly really subtle things like "oh my god, I always thought the guitarist was just playing a triplet right there, but now I hear a 4th grace note, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!!!!!, best headphones EVAR!!!!!!"

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but I think this is the worst advice that could be given to a new headphone hobbyist. I pity anyone who is listening to headphones instead of music. That's like driving a car to get rid of the gas in the tank.
The music is what all this is about.

It's good that you stated clear what's most important. I forgot to put a smile.
confused_face.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@OP: What genre(s) of music do you listen to?

Indie rock and folk mostly.

Also, thanks for all the words of advice everyone. It gives me hope that my denons will become better
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"oh my god, I always thought the guitarist was just playing a triplet right there, but now I hear a 4th grace note, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap!!!!!!!, best headphones EVAR!!!!!!"

Haha, that is so very very true, but it could also be like going from having your favorite vocalist singing in a cab 50 feet down the street, to have her softly whispering the song into your ear, to the extent that you feel her breath tickling you.
To the OP: do the 50h that have been recommended, then go back to the skullcandies. If you then still prefer the skullcandies, sell the denons.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 49
The funny thin is I just let a classmate try them out and he said "dude, those are so clear" then asked me where I bought them and how much. He didn't seem flustered by the price tag either. He said he might have to save up and buy a pair
Maybe it's just me
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

The funny thin is I just let a classmate try them out and he said "dude, those are so clear" then asked me where I bought them and how much. He didn't seem flustered by the price tag either. He said he might have to save up and buy a pair
Maybe it's just me
frown.gif

dude, this is not something to be frowning about.

"oh my god, I can't believe that I'm not going to feel compelled to spend thousands of dollars to enjoy my music collection, oh the horror!"

This would be like me getting mad that I don't need a cigarette to calm me down during stressful times.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Learn from this, and you'll end up happier than most folks here.

It seems to me that you often confuse "wanting to upgrade" with "not being happy" in your posts. There are many, many of us here who are very happy with the equipment we have. That doesn't mean you can't look forward to an upgrade to make it a better experience or more of the experience that you are looking for. I love my CK2III, and I am happy with it. I could keep it and be done, but I would like to move up the chain and see the difference. I don't care when, but eventually. I want to upgrade and I am happy.

OP: The things that you described are what audiophiles look for. You can either want that or want something different, but those are the kinds of changes that we discuss here. I hope that you end up enjoying your Denons.

Also, OP, this is weird, but after listening to your denons for a week or two, go back to the skullcandys. You will see the difference in clarity very um... clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back