Im not hearing anything special...
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
Today I recieved my Denon D1001s in the mail. The was excited and couldn't get through the packaging fast enough. I put them on and was quite impressed with the comfort. I plugged them into my iPod and was expected to be blown away but I wasn't
frown.gif
. They didn't seem like there was anything overly speical. Things seem a little bit clearer and I can pick up a few more details in songs that I didn't hear before.

Will things improve with burn in (only 3 hours of music and 6 hours of white noise so far) or did I just hype myself up over the months of research?

EDIT: I am now at about 70 hours of burn in and take back everything I said in this post. The clearity on these is quite nice and I am picking up so many details I never heard before! (there was a part in 'Millstone' by Brand New where the singer talked in the background for 30 seconds that I never even heard before). I also take back saying I needed the 'trebel booster' EQ on my iPod for these to sound good. After the burn in, the trebels came out and I no longer need the EQ.

These are great headphones. Do not let any of my posts discourage you from buying them, just use this as a reference as to my intial thoughts on the Denon D1001's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 49
It usually takes some time to appreciate new gear, and not necessarily due to burn in. Don't give up too quickly.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 49
Of the 5 pairs of headphones I have acquired recently, I have been initially disappointed with 4 of them. After of few hours of brain/burn-in I really really appreciate them all now.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 49
well, it depends on a lot of different factors. First of all:

1) what were you listening through before?

2) what are the songs in your iPod encoded at?

I did experience a tightening of the bass and a little extra clarity starting about 25 hours of burn in through about 100 hours of burn in. I think they were done burning in at that point. But it wasn't night and day like it was with my Grados.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 49
x2 on what were you using to listen before?

And I noticed you're also looking at a FiiO E5. That should make a fraction of a difference when you get that as well.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, it depends on a lot of different factors. First of all:

1) what were you listening through before?

2) what are the songs in your iPod encoded at?

I did experience a tightening of the bass and a little extra clarity starting about 25 hours of burn in through about 100 hours of burn in. I think they were done burning in at that point. But it wasn't night and day like it was with my Grados.

Before I was listening through Skullcandy Ink'd earphones, so I was really expecting these to blow me away but so far it seems that the bass in the skullcandys are louder (although not as clear)

Also, most of my music is encoded at 320kbps and I even have the original .wav file of a bands rcording (1400kbps) so I doubt it is lack of quality in the recording that is wrong

I'll let them burn in over the weekend and hopefully will notice some difference

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 49
I've never used the ink'ds, but I have a pair of Skullcandy Hesh's that were a gift. And, all I can say is that while the Hesh's are a touch heavier in the bass, the clarity is like the difference between looking through a just cleaned glass window and looking a sliding bathroom door (you know the ones that are made to obscure what you're seeing).

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it some time. If you still don't like it, move on and sell it
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, if you really don't enjoy them, then just sell them, move on and count your blessings. For some people, iBuds really are fine. There are times when I definitely wish I could go back to being perfectly content with my music through iBuds.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No headphone in the world can compete with skullcandy in terms of bass quantity.

yeah, that's what happens when the headphone doesn't even have to extend below 100 htz and can therefore just slam all of its energy on 100-500 htz.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 49
@OP: What genre(s) of music do you listen to?

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 49
they will get better, but i urge you to A/B between your ipod and your computer sound card, no matter what it is. the added power adds a lot to the sound. i cant listen to my ultrasone 780s from my ipod, because everything is lacking, and the whole sounstage has suddenly forced itself into the space beween my eyes.

your skullcandys were probably much more efficient than your full size cans, so they would have sounded fuller from the low output of the headphone jack of the ipod.

burn them in for a good 50 hours or so. i dont believe a new pair of headphones will ever blow you away completely - thats why everyone gets upgraditis - but they will improve and you should then hear the improvements over the skullcandys. the most noticable imporvements will be in the subtle parts of the tracks. if you still dont like them, send them back and keep your money. or spend more for an amp and a recable.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

i urge you to A/B between your ipod and your computer sound card, no matter what it is. the added power adds a lot to the sound.

do this. you will see.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: will hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back