I'm missing the fun!
Aug 5, 2005 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

McRat

100+ Head-Fier
Lately it seems that all this hifi nonsense has actually taken the fun away from my music and I cannot justify that. As it stands, I feel I'm getting a bit tired to this "hifi" sound I get from my british speakers and current phones. The more I put money on the gear, the less I enjoy the music. It lacks the feeling, the essential emotion of the performance.

Well, I finally gave up on searching and reading through old threads. I guess I'm hoping to get that final push to some direction. I also know that the best thing would be to listen to any candidates, but that is sadly not an option for me at the moment.

Some background information:
I do have K501 and DT531, but I find them both lacking in some degree. The K501 are great phones but I miss the punch and the bottom end. DT531 on the other hand sounds a bit too mushed and bloated. I thought I would find "the magic" from the K501 midrange, but the lack of punch isn't fun at all. Maybe I'm missing the famous PRaT?

I listen to almost all kinds of music, ranging from jazz and female vocals to gothic-/classic-/progressive rock and then again to classical music in all it's forms.

However, I do find the PX100 and KSC75 highly enjoyable, though lacking in finer detail. Is there a phone that would maintain the fun aspects of these small and punchy wonders while still giving me the extra refinement and glory of the higher-end gear?

I recently aquired some extra cash by letting some of my gear go, so now I only need to decide which phones to get. My budget is limited to ~$400. I have wanted to try some Grado/Alessandro for the fast presentation, but at the ridiculous prices around here I'm really forced to order them from the US and thus thinking mainly about MS-2i. I've also been thinking about HD650 and DT880. These I would get easily from Europe at reasonable prices. So the price is not an issue between these.

I'm very thankful for any comments. Other recommendations are of course welcome.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 68
Starting at the Grado/Alessandro ladder is definitely the way to go for "fun". And the beauty is that you can swap pads to achieve different signatures to fine tune it to your taste.

I wouldn't recommend the DT880 if you are looking for "punch", they are immensely neutral all the way through the mids and bass area.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
Lately it seems that all this hifi nonsense has actually taken the fun away from my music and I cannot justify that. As it stands, I feel I'm getting a bit tired to this "hifi" sound I get from my british speakers and current phones. The more I put money on the gear, the less I enjoy the music. It lacks the feeling, the essential emotion of the performance.

The problem is in your head, not your rig. You have aquired some nice equipment, trained your hearing, and now all you hear is faults. Right? If so, I'd recommend several approaches.

1) Do not listen to music for a week or two. Hard to do, I know.
2) Listen to crappy equipment only for about two weeks. Complete with bass-boost and everything. I do this frequently, and it helps a lot regarding the appriciation for your good rig.

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
The problem is in your head

blink.gif

Quote:

2) Listen to crappy equipment only for about two weeks. Complete with bass-boost and everything. I do this frequently, and it helps a lot regarding the appriciation for your good rig.

I agree...
anyhow , I've been there where you are , and your cure my very have the name of Grado or Alessandro series

My advice for happyness : order straight a pair from one of this two brands .. sorry if I cut it shortly and if it I seems bit hypy sentence ..
I have hd650 and k501 - and have had dt531 as well , as other beyers - and I still use them .. but if I want some ready joy I have to reach for my grados now ... it's the best cure, and it makes me appreciate even more the other cans I have for the other virtues they have when I return to them )

indications

depending on budget , sr225 and ms2i should be two obvious reference in the lines ; rs1 if you have a bunch of money and want to bet ( almost sure win btw ) and to be set on joy for more then a while ...

posology
1-3 times a day
tongue.gif
depending on gravity of the music you listen

Aug 5, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 68
Socket mod your foam on the KSC75, and open up the mesh screen with a drill or dremel. The result is a more refined sound overall, clearer and less conjestion. That should cover your portable needs.

MS2(i) would be my suggestion. If you want more pronounced mids, and a lively-er presentation go for na SR225. I prefer bowls with both.

Garrett

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 68
I was just doing some reading on the DT990 and it sounds like they would be a perfect match. Most people describe them as being a lot of fun. Based on what I've read, they're slightly colored on both the high and low end -- which provides the fun and engaging sound -- and they also have relatively good detail for that 'hi-fi' sound. I found this review to be helpful:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128348

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 68
No headphones can add "feeling and emotion"... You need new music, not new equipment. Try asking a friend who knows a lot about a kind of music you've never listened do before for some recommendations. The more different, the better.

You can go out and buy more equipment, but you'll be just as bored.

See ya
Steve

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
You need new music, not new equipment.

I imagine you're wrong on that count, unless the OP doesn't enjoy his music the way he used to listen to it either.

IRTOP, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've found that as I move up the hi-fi sound ladder, I'm losing the emotion you speak of in my hard rock/metal listening tastes. I get the most enjoyment out of my stock 1996 Lexus ES300 cd player and 10 year old boombox! Not everyone has mid- or hi-fi tastes.

I've pretty much reached the same point that you have, I've been trying to figure out how to get the same sound from my car into my house, at which point I'd be satisfied. If you're finding that higher end equipment is bringing in more details and a clearly higher musical quality, but you're enjoying that sound less, you're spending money chasing less pleasure. It doesn't make sense, and I've done it too.

Aug 5, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 68
It looks like you did your homework and you know exactly what you need, sonically, financially, etc. Enjoy those MS-2is at home, and rock those KSC clips on the go!

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
No headphones can add "feeling and emotion"...

.. I couldn't disagree more ... free to make your consideration ! but headphones doing not emotions ( on head-fi ) is quite insensate thing for my eyes to read ..

I'll try to reply with examples , since the sound pleasure is not an algebra operation the brain do and ( as I yet said in another place Bigshot ) it needs something more then graphs and numbers that melt well togheter on sheets and give sense to the different prices of gears..

You know , different headphones brought me closer to different genres I was aware but didn't appreciate before the newcomer headphone arrived and opened , with their particular sound cut and behavior , another world of sound to me .. ( this is a thing that normally happened to me when I was higly emotioned by something/some moments/some person, and in the same time it eventually lead me into some new music the happening was linked to .. ) .. I think this happens normally on head.fi among some of us , and on a daily bases , among new and old date fiers who discover new music through new gears ..

..quality of reproduction ( and synergy with expectations too unfortunately ) means a lot to ears and to joy , and it is what eventually bring on upgrading ; upgrading leads slowly to open and to get the hearing sense more conscious about sound on the long period , and to assume a better understanding method and a better "view" of the quality of the sound we listen..

[size=xx-small]there are lot of discussion about the x headphone for the x music genre ; this fact is related to the headphone behavior , to different headphones plot graphs , different headphones design etc.

.. me myself .. I enjoy my music in a complete different way , and in absolute terms quite a lot more from when grado hp2 are here .. moreover let me add that I know this is lasting a while - short or long while , who knows .. I hope a long one - then I'll want another sound , something different , better naturality , or just the pleasure of changing , more pace in music .. you know how it works for other things ? it works the same also for ears and the kind of colour a particular headphone take on the sound might be perceived as a colour after a while and get therefore boring .. nothing easier to imagine ..
generally speaking when we change gears and the sound change , it's nice exp. for ears to get on a new sound , adapt , learn , and decide if the sound of the new gear is appealing on first , or best happening a keeper for a longer run ..
[/size]

McRat , feel clearly free to do your proper and own considerations
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 68
Sometimes it could be as simple as mentality. Like I mentioned on past threads, if I feel down or just not "into it", there is nothing my gear can do to be musical. Not the 650s, not the LSi9s.. nothing.

However, when I'm happy (which is 98% of the time), everything sounds musical to me.

YMMV.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 68
..true that the mood you're in play a role in how much you' re open to the joy ( for ex. music pleasure ) , and sometimes it works exactly as Joey_V says , like " pleasure light switched on , all possible
orphsmile.gif
" , or " pleasure not possible
rolleyes.gif
" ..

but imo McRat is more on a dead point at the moment , not much of a mood matter ( I might be wrong , correct me ..) .. and a change is what would fill the moment and give some input too ; a change of pace , Grado or Alessandro , would probably fit nicely
smily_headphones1.gif
his expectations too ..

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 68
I thank you all for the valuable input. Very many of you have reinforced my thoughts especially on MS-2i, so I'll probably go with those. If those don't help, I'll just ditch the hifi and stick with my portable wonders
icon10.gif
(and make my wife happy in the process...)

warpdriver:
I don't think a ladder approach is the way to go. As I have the cash now, I'll try to hit the sweetspot at once and skip the (inevitable) upgrading. I do find your comment about DT880 encouraging, in a way that I really should ditch them as an option. This just reinforces my own gut feeling.

Oliver/Bigshot:
Thanks for the tip! I have been thinking about getting my head examined
tongue.gif

Seriously speaking, it's not that I hear faults in the music. It's what I'm not hearing that's buggin' me. I'm not asking for the gear to add anything to the music, I just want it to deliver the feeling and the meaning of the song, the intentions and thoughts of the the performer and composer.

I have been listening to crappier equipment lately and find I actually enjoy the music more from cheap boomboxes and car stereo, not even mentioning a vintage receiver and 4" full range shelf-/wall mount-speakers.

boodi:
I was hoping you would chime in
biggrin.gif
I always find your thoughts informative and that I can relate to them. Thanks for the prescription! I think i'll try your medication and call some1 names if it doesn't cure me
tongue.gif
I know that the RS-1 would probably be the best bet, but I'm having a hard time streching my budget that much. It would mean selling my other cans for something I've never even heard. I think I'll settle for the MS-2i for now and see how it goes from there.

kramer5150:
Thanks for the tip on the KSC75. I have done the dime-mod on my PX100, so it's probably not too scary to ruin those cheap Koss'

sedminusn:
I've been wanting to try those, as there is something special about the DT531. If the 990 or 931 is anywhere near they might be an option. I do love the Beyer velour...

Jahn:
I figured you couldn't resist as I thought I really laid it out in front of you.
biggrin.gif
I have read a lot of your posts recently and found them very informative. I think they have had me thinking about the grado sound much more than I should have
tongue.gif
Anyhow, thanks for the tip, as that might be a combo I could go a long way with!

Blitzula:
I think you really hit it on the head! That is really how I feel. I just find it hard to believe, as a gadget person and a believer in technical superiority. Maybe I just have to bang my head to the wall just a few more times to really get it! I see that you have Naim gear, but if I understand correctly even that doesn't bring you the feeling you are looking for? So much for my hopes on finding a speaker rig...
If you do find a solution to our problem, please let me know! I'm getting a bit desperate...

Joey_V and boodi:
Of course the mood does play a significant role on how we perceive our music and gear at any given time. And as it stands, I have been feeling a bit down lately, but this discontempt in all music old and new is something I have noticed only after getting into this hifi hobby some 4 years ago.
And I do find enjoyment in inferior equipment, as I have said.

Gotta cut it here for now, time to put the kids to bed.

Aug 5, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
Blitzula:
I see that you have Naim gear, but if I understand correctly even that doesn't bring you the feeling you are looking for? So much for my hopes on finding a speaker rig...
If you do find a solution to our problem, please let me know! I'm getting a bit desperate...

I like the Naim gear, it's got PRAT and it's fun. It's also far superior technically to other equipment I've used. However, I still enjoy the car stereo easily the best.

I didn't audition a lot of CDP/speakers, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that you can't find what you're looking for in a speaker set. But maybe what you're looking for isn't as hi-fi and doesn't require as much of a budget as you've been looking at.

Yes, I think you and I are in the same exact boat. I finally reached the point where I had to acknowledge that smoother high end sound, while technically superior, was really dramatically affecting my enjoyment/the emotionality/fun of the music. And I've also been frustrated with that....I feel like I've lost my music. I've been too busy with personal matters to try and fix it recently, but I'll share my thoughts if I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back