I'm looking for sub-50 over-ear headphones
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #16 of 31
OR NOT, I just heard that the rx700's actually have BETTER sound, they're just bulkier. How bulky are they really? Like, are they uncomfortably bulky? 

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
OR NOT, I just heard that the rx700's actually have BETTER sound, they're just bulkier. How bulky are they really? Like, are they uncomfortably bulky? 

Large enough that you won't want to use them portably. M30 is not small either but it looks very unassuming and I had no problem wearing them outside - just need to coil up the extra cord length.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 31
So, for a portable sub 50 over ear, you would suggest the M30?
Mind you, I don't know if long car rides, airplanes, and home use really requires portables :p Still, portability is a plus!

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
So, for a portable sub 50 over ear, you would suggest the M30?
Mind you, I don't know if long car rides, airplanes, and home use really requires portables :p Still, portability is a plus!

For portable I truly suggest the HD428 or DT235.

The M30 has a coiled cable and was never really meant for portable use. Moreso for studio use.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 31
As I said, I wont be using them for TRUE portable usage, I just don't want something hugely clunky and heavy.

So:
Which has better sound for a semi-basshead, the M30, or the DT 235? HD 428s are a little pricey :p

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #25 of 31
The M30 is built well for the price and is quite comfortable. Unamped it's very boring and very neutral. It's perhaps the most boring headphone I own, but I still like it when I'm in the mood. You can even upgrade it with velour pads for $20. I've found that it's kind of hard to drive. I used them straight out of my Ipod Touch while doing yard work yesterday and the sound was just not good. 95% of the time it was used amped with a Total Airhead.

The Beyer Dynamic DT-235 really doesn't have a lot of bass, but it has good mids and I like the sound but it's not the most accurate headphone ever. For $45 it's such a good deal and it's comfortable. The pads just rest on my ears.

The most FUN headphone to me is the Koss UR-55. They sound like the Porta Pro, need burn in, but are really great for rock music. I gave them to my mom and she loves them. Hopefully Best Buy has a sale on them so I can get another pair. I only got rid of them because I upgraded to the Dj100. Turns out those are worthless for portable use without a powerful amp.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #26 of 31
Great. So, M30 requires an  amp for good sound? Can't afford an amp right now :p

Whats you guys opinion on the Porta Pro's?

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Okay, update:
I'm giving up on portablilty.
Even then:
Porta pros
M30s
rx700s

opinions on what to get?

Even if you were still wanting portability I would skip the Porta Pros for the DT235 or HD428.

Anyway RX700 all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back