I'm looking for iems with great bass, that cost around 100 dollars.
Oct 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Turbines are fine now that they've dropped back below $100 but you can do a bit better for less - namely with the Pansonic HJE900, Fischer Audio Eterna, Hippo VB. or even Thinksound TS02+mic if you have an ipod/iphone.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 10
SF5EB, Turbine, S4, V-Moda Vibe II, Remix and CKS70........

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Oct 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
Where can you get them below $100?

Open-box from amazon or Onecall. You can also get them new for 100-120 but not from an authorized dealer.

Thanks! What is your impression of them?  I'm a student and I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's. (I bought the Panasonic HJE-900's but I wasn't satisfied with the amount of bass.) I'm not looking for an analytical pair of headphones (for right now) but rather something that I will enjoy with my new iPod Touch 4th Generation.

Do you think the Monster Turbines will fit my need:
  1. around $100
  2. heavy bass, but not overpowering
  3. durable product
  4. good noise isolation
  5. good customer service
  6. "fun" pair of headphones (I hope I used that term correctly)
  7. huge improvement over my current CX300's
  8. I usually listen to hip-hop/rap/pop/rock/anything modern-ish

Sorry OP for asking a question, hopefully this can help you too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks |joker| for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 10
If you're not satisfied with the HJE900s, "heavy bass, but not overpowering" simply won't be good enough. The Turbines are more bass-heavy than the HJE900s but not by much. The Eterna would probably be my pick in your case with the only reservation being durability - there's a potential issue with the strain reliefs that can be fixed with a drop of superglue if it occurs. If you buy from bugdenaudio.com you'll get pretty great customer service from a fellow head-fi member. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 10
I noticed that if I increase the volume on my iPod Touch to about 1/2 way or so, the bass on the Panasonic's increases by quite a bit. How loud is too loud?

Thanks for the recommendations on the Eterna, I'll look into that!

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Given that in another thread you said you'd only experimented with stock tips, and that you find raising the volume helps, I'd say a tip change is due. The stock tips are one of the worst tips I've tried for these, and the right tips are essential for getting the best sound out of IEMs.You might want to try using your CX300 tips if you still have them(though I think I've heard they're kind of loose on them), or buying Sony Hybrid tips(which you should be able to get at your local best buy) or Comply tips. Although I like neither of those, I think you definitely might. The Hybrids especially make them sound substantially boomier overall, while the complies add some bass emphasis while attenuating the highs. Perhaps more importantly, they are the 2 best comfortably sealing/isolating tips I've tried along with Monster SuperTips, which means it will be substantially easier for you to hear bass at lower volumes. If you want to get super duper hyper ultra bassy, you can even decore complies, and stuff them inside of the sony hybrid tips. The SuperTips(gel or foam) are a great option too, but they are quite expensive.

How loud is too loud depends on you. Most dynamics require some power to really get them going. These are actually one of the better dynamics for listening at low volumes. If volume is helping you, a think a tip change will help a great deal.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Thanks! What is your impression of them?  I'm a student and I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's. (I bought the Panasonic HJE-900's but I wasn't satisfied with the amount of bass.) I'm not looking for an analytical pair of headphones (for right now) but rather something that I will enjoy with my new iPod Touch 4th Generation.

Do you think the Monster Turbines will fit my need:
  1. around $100
  2. heavy bass, but not overpowering
  3. durable product
  4. good noise isolation
  5. good customer service
  6. "fun" pair of headphones (I hope I used that term correctly)
  7. huge improvement over my current CX300's
  8. I usually listen to hip-hop/rap/pop/rock/anything modern-ish

Sorry OP for asking a question, hopefully this can help you too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks |joker| for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, not enough bass.  ahh thats a good one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back