Im going on a diet
Apr 21, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
how did this help? did you do it as an apetite suppresant? Ive never heard of that before. interesting.

Yeah, appetite suppresant. After a while, the stomach shrinks and then you'll eat less and be full faster. The other thing is to eat slower. The brain takes a long time, 20 mins or so to recognise that food is going down and that you're full. Also, eat less bread and more rice. Eating spicy food also makes you full faster apparently. Lastly, exercise.

Oh yeah, drink water only. No sodas. I also think it's the asian vs american portions. The portions here are huge compared to back home. At first i was always tempted to finish what was on my plate. Now i split it, half for now and half for later.

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 62
Eat little and often. This will increase your metabolism.

Make breakfast your main meal.

Avoid fats, particularly saturated fat.

Reduce your carb intake whilst you are on the diet.

Suplement vitamins if you think you may be missing some in your diet.

You can expect to loose around 2 to 3 lbs a week.

Excercise to gain that body tone. Remember though that if you are increasing muscles mass you are increasing weight. Muscle is more dense than fat.

I lost 30lbs in 8 weeks last July and have managed to keep most of it off.

I'm 6'2" and around 177 lbs. Not too bad at 41.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Current weight, 200lbs 5'10"

goal weight 175lbs

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth (not much
wink.gif
) but the only real way to lose weight and keep it off is through a lifestyle change. While that might include a modified diet it also probably means increased physical activity. As you already admit the time in your life when you were at a more ideal weight is when you were regularly working out, this shouldn't be a surprise. So, instead of radically changing your diet only, which probably won't last, try subtly changing your diet while adding some sort of regular physical activity that you enjoy (ride a bike, run, walk, whatever). And as a general rule of thumb, it'll take 10x as long to lose weight as it does to add it on.

Best of luck.

Nate

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyk
Eat little and often. This will increase your metabolism.

Make breakfast your main meal.

Avoid fats, particularly saturated fat.

Reduce your carb intake whilst you are on the diet.

Suplement vitamins if you think you may be missing some in your diet.

You can expect to loose around 2 to 3 lbs a week.

Excercise to gain that body tone. Remember though that if you are increasing muscles mass you are increasing weight. Muscle is more dense than fat.

I lost 30lbs in 8 weeks last July and have managed to keep most of it off.

I'm 6'2" and around 177 lbs. Not too bad at 41.

Pretty good!

I'm 6'3" and 235, although I am a pretty big (muscular) guy, I plan on dropping some of my body fat as soon as the semester is over.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth (not much
wink.gif
) but the only real way to lose weight and keep it off is through a lifestyle change. While that might include a modified diet it also probably means increased physical activity. As you already admit the time in your life when you were at a more ideal weight is when you were regularly working out, this shouldn't be a surprise. So, instead of radically changing your diet only, which probably won't last, try subtly changing your diet while adding some sort of regular physical activity that you enjoy (ride a bike, run, walk, whatever). And as a general rule of thumb, it'll take 10x as long to lose weight as it does to add it on.

Best of luck.

Nate

Nate is understating the case for lifestyle change. His "opinion" is shared by a number of respected nutritionists and health educators. They tend to avoid the word diet when referring to a program involving weight loss and use life style change. As I recall, that word useage preference is motivated by recidivism data. For details, try "weight loss" & "lifestyle" in Goggle Scholar.

Take heart. As Stanley Schachter pointed out, our knowledge of weight loss is based on studies sampling folks who had trouble slimming down on their own. There well may be a lot of hidden, successful weight losers.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 62
Myo, how old are you my friend?? Things really started catching up with me after about 27.

I'm 32 and same height as you and I'm about 190-195. I'm not overweight until I take my shirt off
icon10.gif
Or you could say I'm in really good shape I just hide it well
wink.gif

Anyways, my wife and I eat well but we both sit on our cans in an office all day. She has nothing to worry about as she is 5'4" and 107 or something crazy. We both recently got mountain bikes and have started riding after work for about 45min....
eek.gif
Huge difference and it beats the hell out of the gym... anyways just thought I'd pass that along. It's a great way to be outside and spend time with a spouse, SO, or friend and exercise at the same time.

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I've been swimming 5 times per week for about 45 minutes to an hour. It's a great workout and it means I don't have to watch my food intake that much.

Swimming is one the the best full body workouts available.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 62
Congrats, and good luck. It's a big step in the right direction to decide that you want to change; it's even better that you have a concrete goal. I did something similar last May. Started with only dieting - nothing structured or hardcore, just watching what I ate and reduced portions - went from about 186 to 176 when further progress stopped. In September I also started exercising and eventually lost another 6 pounds or so. 16 pounds isn't too much but I look a lot better and feel way better too. I'm in great shape and I don't get out of breath easily. Got back into competitive swimming too, which is awesome.

Hope you stick with it, and I hope you work in some exercise, too! Dieting is much more effective that way. It's also best if you can join a team or small group for whatever exercise you choose (cross motivation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back