I'm Done (Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition) VS GR06
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #182 of 408
I am quite confused. I know how we perceive sound quality is subjective but joker is a reputable reviewer and according to him, the GR06s are superior to GR02 bass editions. I am just curious as to why such a significant amount of people are preferring the sound of the 02s over the 06s.

Also, I've also read that 04s are superior to the 06s so I would like to know how the 04s compare to the 02s.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #183 of 408
Joker is the man with the golden ear for sure but here's my take as an owner of them all.
The 06 is Very mid forward, In your face Mids.  It lacks a Bass slam but it does Bass well but has no impact really. The Treble for my ears has a nice sparkle but just doesn't sound correct, or what I think should be correct. Don't get me wrong this IEM is Fantastic Really Really Great!! 

Now the GR04 is basically the GR06 but MUCH more balanced sounding, but not as clear and detailed.

The GR 02 BE is hands down my favorite.  It' has the same VSonic sound as them all, but it is more in line with the Regular Consumer type sound.  Very light V-shape With a nice deep Bass that really has the weight the others GR06/04 is missing.
But it's not as detailed as the others.  The mids are right at balanced or just a tad under, and the highs reach out and have that sparkle.  It's more fun sounding. The others are more refined and tuned for certain feel.  Are they better, sure, maybe?
But just not as fun.  Plus the 02 just works with all types of music better. The GR04 too, But the 06 is better at Vocals/Classical/Unplugged Guitars sound fantastic.

The GR06 has way better detailing etc..  But the GR 02 just has the magical something?  The 04 is middle for me!!!

I like my 02's so much my 06's are in the for sale forum!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #185 of 408
I have to strongly disagree with Magicman74. The GR02 BE is definitely not a very versatile iem and works with certain types of music but not with everything. Its sound is clearly V-shaped - not just a tad. The thing that makes some people choose the GR02 BE over the GR06 is the thinner note presentation that makes it the most clear sounding of the bunch. The problem is that its mids are a little bit too dry and tend to sound grainy at times, especially with vocals. The Gr06's mids in comparison are very warm, liquid and forward. Both the GR02 and the GR06's bass is softer and lighter on the impact but the GR02's is more in quantity. In comparison the Gr04 flagship's bass is tighter and faster with better impact and closer to what the Gr07 does. The gr04 flagship's mids are forward and warm but less than the Gr06 and with the sony mh1c's tips are even more neutral. I did like the GR02's treble the most of the bunch but it could be slightly harsh and even sibilant depending if you're sensitive. Compared to it the GR06 and the Gr04 flagship are both smoother and softer in presentation and are not fatiguing even at higher volume. Just based on the overall sound signature and presentation the GR04 flagship is the most versatile of the bunch and the closest to balanced, although calling it balanced is slightly pushing it when you compare it to the Gr07. Also, it's good to mention that the 50-ohm GR04 is the hardest to drive of the bunch. 

edit: I also have to add that the GR02 BE is probably the most impressive of the bunch at first listen due to its extra clarity in the mids and the more aggressive and sparkly treble, so a transition from something like gr06 to the gr02 can give you the wow-factor for awhile.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #186 of 408
I was gonna give the GR04 a try but now I see this post saying that the 04 is the hardest to drive. I certainly cannot afford an amp and do not want to have to bring one around everywhere I go so I would just like to know how they fare plugged in a fairly common source, an ipod. :p

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #187 of 408
GR02BE are very easy to drive so an amp is not needed but you obviously can use one down the road. Currently drive mine through my E6 but work very well unamped through my iPhone and iPad.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #188 of 408
I am becoming very very tempted to just go all out and purchase a GR04 WITH an amp... If i do so, are there any good budget amps? I would strongly prefer something around 20 if possible...

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #189 of 408
You can get a Fiio E6 on amazon for about $28

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #191 of 408
Quote:
I was gonna give the GR04 a try but now I see this post saying that the 04 is the hardest to drive. I certainly cannot afford an amp and do not want to have to bring one around everywhere I go so I would just like to know how they fare plugged in a fairly common source, an ipod. :p

Sorry if my post scared you. An ipod has enough power for the Gr04 flagship without an amp. Of course you can always get something like the e6 later but you'll need to get a LOD cable for around 10 bucks more as it comes with a simple mini to mini interconnect. Anyway, the gr04 flagship is totally fine straight out of an ipod, so you don't have to worry about amps now.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #193 of 408
Quote:
Is there a reason why I specifically need a LOD cable over a conventional 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable?

The LOD cable will bypass the internal Amp and only send out the signal which will be much higher quality the using the headphone jack which is already amped. You want to bypass the amp of the phone and use the external amp for cleaner sound and the LOD cable will bypass the amp for you.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #195 of 408
Hello. Help me choose. :D

I listen to all kind of music, mainly rock, pop, metal, instrumental, these bands ---> Avantasia, Demons & Wizards, Blind Guardian, Orphaned Land, Katatonia, Samael, Edguy, Therion, Kamelot, Enya, Ryan Farish, Gregorian, Vangelis, Casting Crowns, 30 Seconds To Mars, 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park, Status Quo, Andrea Bocelli, Vivaldi, electronic like Pretty Lights and Daft Punk, some Jpop. Priority is rock, metal, pop. Also I am hearing impaired person so I don't hear highs, at least 9khz+. I will also buy Fiio E6.

Which is better of these two for this kind of music? Is there much difference in sound quality? GR02 I can buy for 36$ and GR04 for 53$.

Vsonic GR02 Bass
Vsonic GR04 Flagship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back