I'm Done (Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition) VS GR06
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #91 of 408
Based on all the reviews and positive comments on the net, it seems like these GR02s are the holy grail of cheap IEMs. So going on [size=10pt]Magic's posts, I bought a pair of these from the recommended seller bigbargainonline:[/size]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380376622782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Firstly, like everyone else, I’m a little confused if I got the right ones, as I’ve seen trustworthy reviews of different models which have:
-          “L” or” J” shaped plug
-          3 extra black tip pairs or 14 color-coded tip pairs
-          Velvet or pleather pouch
My version if the former of each of those. Is there any way to tell if my GR02s are genuine? I remember some older Vsonic model had numbered, matched drivers…

I’ve been using JVC HA-FX34s for 3 years – now on my 3rd pair with rough, in-pocket, everyday use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Marshmallow-Stereo-Headphones-Black-HA-FX34-B-/221082489665?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item33798b1341

The thing is, I didn’t find the sound of the GR02s to be all that much different from the JVcs, and not really an improvement. 
confused_face(1).gif

I use single-flange, large silicone tips on both - the twin-flange tips didn't seal as well for me. The GR02s compared to JVCs are:
(+) Significantly louder
(+) More stylish and (possibly) better build quality/design. However, this is LARGELY due to the JVCs being SO butt-ugly and cheap looking – in reality, my JVCs have been very durable.
(0) More midrange
(-) Sounds more compressed, more “mp3-like”. Listening to the GR02s, I can tell I’m listening to a headphone; the JVCs, not so much – more "live".
(-) JVCs have a slightly deeper, but less boomy, bass, which is more widely separated to the outside of the soundstage. In general, the JVCs also had better vocal separation. Makes them sound “sweeter” to me.

To be honest, if it wasn’t for a direct comparison, I would be happy with the sound of either of these headphones, and both are good value.

But here’s the kicker; I paid HK$270 (incl post – NOTE: Hong Kong dollars) for the GR02s. But I used to buy the JVCs for HK$35 (yes!) in the markets. And when they stopped selling them, I found them on eBay for HK$40 (incl post)!!! So, I bought 6 pairs…
biggrin.gif

So, I guess what I’m asking/saying is:
1) I wonder if my GR02s are genuine and/or the correct version – should be, as it's same seller others have used.
2) If they ARE legit, I’m quite happy to discover my JVCs have been an excellent purchase.
3) I would be happy with either the GR02s or JVCs, if they were priced identically…

Me: 
- iPhone 4
- 320kbps mp3s
- Rock, heavy metal, hip-hop
- Environment: usually noisy streets, bus, metro. But I also compared these in quiet.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #92 of 408
Im also prety confused about which version is legit. I would rather not buy off of lend me ur ears as its about $46 on there

Do you guys even recommend buying off ebay? I found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR02-R02-Heavy-Bass-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-Earbuds-Silver-Cord-/251126340424#vi-content

cord looks about right...

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #93 of 408
Quote:
Im also prety confused about which version is legit. I would rather not buy off of lend me ur ears as its about $46 on there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSONIC-GR02-R02-Heavy-Bass-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-Earbuds-Silver-Cord-/251126340424#vi-content

cord looks about right...

The price you're looking at on the lendmeurears site is in Singapore dollars not in USD. You have an option to change the currencies. Lendmeurears are an authorized reseller of vsonic and your best way to be sure you'll get the bass edition and not another version

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #94 of 408
Quote:

I saw the same listing and added it to my watch list... but one thing that bothers me is, the picture shows only six extra tips (3 sets), while it's supposed to come with 28 (14 sets), I think, and the description below the picture says, "Eartips (as the picture shows)" -- something's fishy there.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #95 of 408
Quote:
I saw the same listing and added it to my watch list... but one thing that bothers me is, the picture shows only six extra tips (3 sets), while it's supposed to come with 28 (14 sets), I think, and the description below the picture says, "Eartips (as the picture shows)" -- something's fishy there.

confused_face%281%29.gif
   The pic in the ebay listing you quoted above from yeabuddy shows 28 ear tips and not 6 for me.. Are you talking about another listing?

Edit: Here's the pic I see from that ebay listing. Am I missing something?

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #97 of 408
Quote:
The thing is, I didn’t find the sound of the GR02s to be all that much different from the JVcs, and not really an improvement. 
confused_face(1).gif

No ****? :/
Can anyone else confirm this? I got my JVCs for 2 usds and the GR 02s are gonna cost me around 56 usds. I'd rather just grab another pair of Marshmallows if they sound almost the same. :/

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #98 of 408
I'm located in Singapore and bought directly in a store where Lendmeurears rented a display shelf. I've bought the bass version which they labeled on a paper and stick it to one side of the box/packaging, I dont know if it is really the bass version, I've read on the previous pages about the Chinese translation saying "low frequency increase" or something like that (I'm no Chinese), so I guess it is. mine is giving enough bass for me to enjoy it though.

it has a lot of tips, didn't counted it, 3 pairs being displayed while the rest are inside the box :D

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #99 of 408
There was a reversion of GR02 model back in June. They lower the price and include much less accessories. Some of you who get the new reversion might notice that, but it doesn't mean it is not legit. If you are still getting a lot of accessories on your new GR02, it is from the old stock. However, the sound is still the same before and after reversion.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #100 of 408
Quote:

No ****? :/
Can anyone else confirm this? I got my JVCs for 2 usds and the GR 02s are gonna cost me around 56 usds. I'd rather just grab another pair of Marshmallows if they sound almost the same. :/

For me, not the same, but not "better". The GR02s are louder but the bass and cymbals were clearer on the JVCs. The GR02s seemed "slushier". Maybe it's a personal preference. 
Same price as I had on the JVCs! But now I the cheapest I see them for is ~US$10. US$56 seems too much for the GR02s. They are on eBay for ~US$30 by many highly-rated sellers recommended on this thread. 

One thing I would like to add to my "review" was that my VSonic box was open when I received it, and the phones looked sloppily placed in the foam. Not say bigbargainonline did the dodgey, as he seems well-regarded by many others on this thread, but still... I'm a bit surprised I wasn't blown away by the sound compared to my cheap and nasty JVCs.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #102 of 408
Hello Head-fi'ers!

I'm an expat in china so I was able to get these iEM's very conveniently (and cheaply ~$17 USD), they arrived in my mail about a week ago and after testing them out, I have a few questions.

(BTW, I got the GR02 Bass Edition that comes with about 20+ tips double flange, single flange, flange w/ foam, wide single flange....the iems also have the solid L jack figure as opposed to the curved J jack figure)

It seems that the double-flange tips offer REALLY nice quality. Mids, bass, and highs are phenomenal and listening to Echoes by pink floyd gives me the chills! However...the tips isolate great on my right ear, but are very loose on my left ear (Is one ear canal smaller than the other...? :S) and....this amazing sound in general lasts only inside without that much outside noise. Outside, in the bus and metro for some reason; the highs seem a bit scratchy and the amount of bass seems to recess :frowning2:

Any idea why the sound just doesn't sound as amazing when I'm in a crowded place? Also, which tips in your opinion offer the best isolation, warmth, and bass? I have the tips that came with these, as well as a set of 5 or so meelec tips from my previous m6 (and I can easily spare some money to buy different tips if need be to get that ultimate level of sound).

Thanks,
A mostly satisfied GR02 Bass edition owner

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #104 of 408
I'm looking to get the GR02 be it the bass or the most recent revision that doesn't have as much accessories. Is this one on Amazon the recent revision, but doesn't have as much accessories verse the bass? Just don't want to make the mistake of getting the wrong one.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #105 of 408
Quote:
Hello Head-fi'ers!

I'm an expat in china so I was able to get these iEM's very conveniently (and cheaply ~$17 USD), they arrived in my mail about a week ago and after testing them out, I have a few questions.

(BTW, I got the GR02 Bass Edition that comes with about 20+ tips double flange, single flange, flange w/ foam, wide single flange....the iems also have the solid L jack figure as opposed to the curved J jack figure)

It seems that the double-flange tips offer REALLY nice quality. Mids, bass, and highs are phenomenal and listening to Echoes by pink floyd gives me the chills! However...the tips isolate great on my right ear, but are very loose on my left ear (Is one ear canal smaller than the other...? :S) and....this amazing sound in general lasts only inside without that much outside noise. Outside, in the bus and metro for some reason; the highs seem a bit scratchy and the amount of bass seems to recess :frowning2:

Any idea why the sound just doesn't sound as amazing when I'm in a crowded place? Also, which tips in your opinion offer the best isolation, warmth, and bass? I have the tips that came with these, as well as a set of 5 or so meelec tips from my previous m6 (and I can easily spare some money to buy different tips if need be to get that ultimate level of sound).

Thanks,
A mostly satisfied GR02 Bass edition owner

Most headphones sound worse when you're out and about, it's just what happens when outside noise starts to drown out the sound.  This is why a lot of portable headphones have super-emphasized bass and treble.  A super-balanced signature often doesn't work as well outside in the real world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back