I'm after a pair of portable headphones
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Earphonica

New Head-Fier
Greetings fellow music lovers

I recently got myself a pair of IEMs - the Monster MDT's - and I'm loving them so far. They are very enjoyable to listen to - very "alive" sounding and offer me a great option when I want ultra portability. But I can't help but feel something is missing. Before these I had the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, although they are beat by my monsters in some aspects, I can't help but miss the bass slam effect the HD25's offered and I know that it's just not possible to get the same effect from IEM's.

I gave the Senn's away to a family member, and as it would be rude to ask for them back, I'm looking for a new pair for around £200-£300.

I want to take this opportunity to try something new, so here is my critera in priority order.

- Build quality/Aesthetics
- Bass slam/impact
- Portability
- Clarity
- Forward mids
- No harshness in the highs

Build quality is not something I want to skimp on, and that's why it's on the top of my list. I want to feel the quality in my hands.

The type music I want to listen to with these is Techno/Trance, Dubstep so the bass slam is very important to me. i want to be able to feel the power of the bass moving air, but I also want it to be tight and quick so it keeps up with faster beats.

I want it to be in the portability bracket of the HD25's. I don't want anything too bulky.

Without really compromising on the above 2 points, I want to get as much clarity as possible and overall SQ within my budget.

So what do you guys think? I look forward to hear you suggestions.

Cheers.

P.S. Just to add, I would have loved the DT1350's with stronger bass slam, if only they existed. The form-factor and build quality is everything I'm looking for as well as SQ. So if there is anything similar with stronger bass impact please let me know.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 6
The Ultrasone Pro900, ATH-ES10, Sony Z1000, Denon D1100 and JVC on ear with NC.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 6
The ATH-ES10's are really starting to interest me the more I read about them. They're at the very top of my budget but I'm at least willing to give them a go if I don't find any better alternatives.

I like the way they swivel flat so that they are less intrusive while worn around the neck, so that's another plus. While having a relatively small form factor, the HD25's were pretty annoying while worn around the neck, due to the pads not being able to fold flat and getting in the way.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 6
The VModa M80 might do the trick for you but not really sure as I do not listen to dubstep so may be off in regards to them. The treble is also softer and less detailed than the DT1350 so depending on how much you liked that area of the DT1350 they may or may not be what your looking for.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Joker..  sells  headphones.. thats all I can say :p

You've lost me. 
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
The VModa M80 might do the trick for you but not really sure as I do not listen to dubstep so may be off in regards to them. The treble is also softer and less detailed than the DT1350 so depending on how much you liked that area of the DT1350 they may or may not be what your looking for.

I can't seem to find them in the UK.

So how do people feel about the ATH-ES10 being used as a portable HP? Like I said, I do wear my HP's around my neck for the majority of the time, so the ability of folding them flat to get out of the way of my chin is a bonus.

Do they have tight, quick, punchy bass? Has anyone used them for the music I listen to?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back