I'm a shallow narcissist...
Mar 4, 2008 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought an iPod 4G U2 special edition from bootleg. It was a refurb replacement for his old one, and it is in perfect condition. I'll post some pictures once I get it skinned and rigged.

My shallow question is, what portable amp do you think would look the best with the black/red face and silver back? I started to order a Tomahawk, but the "black" seems sort of brownish in the pictures, and I thought it might clash. How black is the iBasso P2? Any other ideas? The black T2 is an option, but I would like to go a bit higher-end than that.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 13
iBasso's D2.

d2p2.jpg

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 13
If you're going for looks...why not get in line for a Pico and then you can choose the color...black and clear colour combo would be sweet looking with your iPod.
biggrin.gif
PS From what I hear it doesn't sound too shabby either.
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... OP... I think the pico amp is pretty sweet looking and comes in an awesome black. That is what I would go for based on looks alone.

Yeah, sorry about the outburst, on topic - the orange Pico does look pretty awesome, I think the color is "bad carrot"
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I really like simple black with silver engravings so I'd say look into a Mini3 with amb's engraved end-panels, the amp is great bang/buck too, those engravings are an extra $40.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sorry about the outburst, on topic - the orange Pico does look pretty awesome, I think the color is "bad carrot"
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I really like simple black with silver engravings so I'd say look into a Mini3 with amb's engraved end-panels, the amp is great bang/buck too, those engravings are an extra $40.

True, if the OP likes the look of a hammond case (I definitely do) then a mini^3 with the amb end panels looks awesome. That's the only portable amp I'll probably ever get again and those end panels really make it look nice.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 13
I thought I had shaken off the Pico madness, but now it's back in full force. Thanks! And thanks for the Mini^3 suggestion.

I figure we're paying way too much for these portable amps anyway, given the cost of components, so we might as well get a good case in the bargain, haha. I like the sound of my G-V5, especially for the money, but the case is drab, drab plugged into the Touch.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 13
@op: there are so many small amps that will look good just for the sake of being a small amp - it will attract attention. my gripe with the d2 is that it is splashed with words - lookning less like hifi and more like an advert for something, perhaps a pc. yes, it reminds me of the ridiculous decals that adorn notebook pc's.

i have one of the simplest looking of the amps but unfortunately it is not so pretty. supermicro iv from doctor xin. it sounds heavenly and the price is right but... i always want to hide it. it looks like a large volume attenuator - essentially i suppose it is.

but, it can be hidden quite well and is just a little less wide than the body of the ipod. you could put it at the bottom and if you have a right angle headphone jack as well as right anly amp lead, it could just be a sort of - forget it, it don't look so pretty.

the tamahawk is a nice looking machine but if the colour is off, yeah i understand. good luck.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@op: there are so many small amps that will look good just for the sake of being a small amp - it will attract attention. my gripe with the d2 is that it is splashed with words - lookning less like hifi and more like an advert for something, perhaps a pc. yes, it reminds me of the ridiculous decals that adorn notebook pc's.

Kind of like the iPod U2 Edition, except it's splashed with a huge dose of it's U2-ness.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, no one would accuse the U2 iPod of being understated or subtle. I'm mainly looking to match the black or silver finish. By the way, I have the 4G iPod with the silver back, so the engraved signatures are not as visible as on the black one they came out for the 5G.

U2 is partly responsible for teaching me to love real music back in 83-85 when they were getting airplay on local college radio. I've been a huge fan ever since. I even love the Pop album. Now I just need a Neil Young Macbook. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back