ikko OH10
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #406 of 426
I’ve had my OH10’s for a few days now and I’m not as wowed as I hoped for. I’m also getting a very different sound to what I read and expected.

I’m not getting the bass that I expected, for a start. I listen to a lot of EDM and hip-hop, tracks with a lot of bass. And the bass is … fine. I previously had Truthear Zero Red’s and I wouldn’t say these sounded much better in the bass than they did.

Vocals are also more forward than I expected, and the whole things feels a little thin-sounding. I’ve tried the medium size tips, I’ve tried the large tips. I’ve bought Spinfit CP100+ Large tips and even though the seal feels right in that I get that pop when I remove an earphone, I’m just not getting that sound that everyone says. It definitely doesn’t feel v-shaped, more like ^ shaped, where vocals are a lot more prominent.

Driving from a Hiby R5 Gen II and have also tried an iPhone lightning dongle.

I might try ordering the Ikko i-planet tips but they won’t arrive for a while from AliExpress.

The OH10 is a bassy IEM, with the bass quantity just a level or two shy of basshead amounts. Usually if the eartip is not sealing well, bass is first to be lost. Maybe try foam tips?

The OH10 does have a boost at the upper mids/lower treble, so if used at loud volumes (Fletcher Munson curve), this area can be overemphasized too. Playing it at lower volumes may mitigate the upper mids region somewhat.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #407 of 426
I’ve had my OH10’s for a few days now and I’m not as wowed as I hoped for. I’m also getting a very different sound to what I read and expected.

I’m not getting the bass that I expected, for a start. I listen to a lot of EDM and hip-hop, tracks with a lot of bass. And the bass is … fine. I previously had Truthear Zero Red’s and I wouldn’t say these sounded much better in the bass than they did.

Vocals are also more forward than I expected, and the whole things feels a little thin-sounding. I’ve tried the medium size tips, I’ve tried the large tips. I’ve bought Spinfit CP100+ Large tips and even though the seal feels right in that I get that pop when I remove an earphone, I’m just not getting that sound that everyone says. It definitely doesn’t feel v-shaped, more like ^ shaped, where vocals are a lot more prominent.

I might try ordering the Ikko i-planet tips but they won’t arrive for a while from AliExpress.
The Ikko I-planet tips are great, but they will give you a drier bass sound (like a foam tip), not the kind of punchy bass sound that you seem to want from EDM music. I would suggest the Final Audio silicone tips. I think those sound the best for these and give a big roomy soundstage. Honestly, I don't think I enjoyed any of the provided tips that came with the OH-10.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #408 of 426
I ended up going through the stock tips again last night and it seemed the medium tips actually worked better for me than the large. Bass sounded a fair bit better, though still maybe not to the levels that i read about. I still wouldn’t say it was V-shaped, I thought it sounded more W-shaped if anything. But I was far happier with the sound so I’ll stick with these on for now.

I’ll look into some other tips though as suggested. My main issue was not knowing which size to order when buying tips. It can get expensive quickly when a pack of tips cost £16 for some large tips, only to then find that maybe medium might be better.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #410 of 426

It's possible you may have reversed the cable. Try reconnecting, but this time switch the cable around.
GL

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #411 of 426
Tips are some what subjective and I usually need some time to judge however I did try the Spinfits in question and they were terrible with the OH10 right from the start.
I tried many different sets and I ended up liking both the Moondrop Spring Tips and the Sednaearfit Xelastec tips. Both seemed to help focus the low end to some extent (which I like) and had slightly different affect on the mids and highs.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #412 of 426
Has anyone tried super narrow bore FiiO HS18 tips on OH10/OH10S? Wonder how much stage and maybe detail gets affected.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #413 of 426
I have the OH10 and I'm happy with it but so far the Soundpeats H2 still sounds better to me. The H2 has more soundstage and instrument separation as compared to OH10. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my unit? The H2 actually has better bass rumble that I'm not getting from OH10, it feels satisfying when you feel your eardrums rumble to the sub bass from the H2, both music and in games. I guess the quality of the bass is the one we should focus on instead of just strong bass? I used JVC Spiral eartips for my OH10 and I will try The Tri Clarion eartips when it arrives.

I am actually looking for an IEM that is better than OH10 and H2 but most recommendations prefer the neutral or brighter tuning. Planars are one option I'm looking but I doubt they will have good bass. I tried neutral tuning like Salnotes Zero and I am convinced that I like good quality bass together with soundstage and instrument separation so neutral tuning is not for me. I hope Soundpeats makes IEM aside from TWS as they make very good bass tuned TWS, even beating IEMS.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #414 of 426
2.jpeg
22.jpeg

OH10S feel and is noticeably beefier, with so much thicker faceplate.

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #415 of 426

OH10S feel and is noticeably beefier, with so much thicker faceplate.
I noticed your avatar and I myself listen mostly to Lorn (and similar like Dolor). I just picked up OH-10 Obsidian as my first "real" IEM and find that I need to EQ via Apple Music app down to "low treble" to keep my ears from freaking out. I also switched to Final Audio Type E tips.

How do the OH-10S compare?

And while we're at it, what's the best IEM/can for Lorn in your opinion?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #416 of 426
I noticed your avatar and I myself listen mostly to Lorn (and similar like Dolor). I just picked up OH-10 Obsidian as my first "real" IEM and find that I need to EQ via Apple Music app down to "low treble" to keep my ears from freaking out. I also switched to Final Audio Type E tips.

How do the OH-10S compare?

And while we're at it, what's the best IEM/can for Lorn in your opinion?

I like the OH10S and will be parting with OH10. Just preferred smaller more ergonomic design of original Obsidians. So far, I been using Sony EP-EX11 and HiFiGo SeeAudio x Zeos Render tips, which seem to be my favorites for OH10S at the moment, and waiting for TRI Clarion tips as many recommend them.

7hz Timeless AE, Legato might be a good option for Lorn, also Simgot EM6L.

Try playing a bit more with different tips on OH10, they are very sensitive to different tips. Can go very fast from bad, to good, to very good.

PS.
Wonder if anyone tried Whizzer Easytips ET100AB tips? Very interesting tips.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #417 of 426
I like the OH10S and will be parting with OH10. Just preferred smaller more ergonomic design of original Obsidians. So far, I been using Sony EP-EX11 and HiFiGo SeeAudio x Zeos Render tips, which seem to be my favorites for OH10S at the moment, and waiting for TRI Clarion tips as many recommend them.

7hz Timeless AE, Legato might be a good option for Lorn, also Simgot EM6L.

Try playing a bit more with different tips on OH10, they are very sensitive to different tips. Can go very fast from bad, to good, to very good.
Great advice, thank you.
Yeah part of my love for OH-10 is their design -- that polished lava rock look and heavy feel.
I will continue my tip rolling (did I use that term right?) and try more tips. I definitely heard a difference between the stock tips provided, Comply foam, and Final Type E. I think the more narrow opening with Final Type E pushed air more aggressively and bass had more impact -- like the power-washer effect.
I use foam on my Airpods Pro but for whatever reason in the OH-10 the silicon tips just seal way better for me. I was also surprised at how I find myself using size M tips when I am 6' 205lb dude and expected to continue blindly using/buying size L tips out of that being my expectation. I've even liked size S foam tips.

My goal for tips is to tame the peaky highs of OH-10, if tips can even do such a thing. I also wonder if getting a copper cable would help?

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #418 of 426
Great advice, thank you.
Yeah part of my love for OH-10 is their design -- that polished lava rock look and heavy feel.
I will continue my tip rolling (did I use that term right?) and try more tips. I definitely heard a difference between the stock tips provided, Comply foam, and Final Type E. I think the more narrow opening with Final Type E pushed air more aggressively and bass had more impact -- like the power-washer effect.
I use foam on my Airpods Pro but for whatever reason in the OH-10 the silicon tips just seal way better for me. I was also surprised at how I find myself using size M tips when I am 6' 205lb dude and expected to continue blindly using/buying size L tips out of that being my expectation. I've even liked size S foam tips.

My goal for tips is to tame the peaky highs of OH-10, if tips can even do such a thing. I also wonder if getting a copper cable would help?

The tip rolling, yes. :ok_hand:

Not a big fan of foams with OH10 and in general. But "HiFiGo Zeos Render" silicone/foam hybrids are lovely.
Sony tips I mentioned are quite similar to Final ones. That is what narrow bore tips usually do, increase low end, or the feeling of it, but at the loss of some soundstage. OH10 can definitely thump, and make you feel it in your neck.
For me, OH10 always had this feel and sound reminiscent of full over-ear headphones, almost like feel of a much larger driver as in headphones, hope it sense.

I am over 6 feet too, and I have relatively small ears, but ear canals are quite big, so I always go with L size tips. Even though my ears really don't like IEMs with big wide bore nozzles, gets damn painful. So, I feel sometimes tip size depends on the IEM nozzle design and size itself.

Absolutely, tips can definitely help to tame highs, honestly tips rolling and EQ have the most real effect, while cables are more questionable, unless would compare really bad cable against really good one.
With that said, I am using NiceHCK BlackCat cable with OH10S, it is one of my favorite cables and it is fairly cheap, but it is quite beefy and heavy, it has very strong hooks, which can be a good or a bad thing, but is perfect in this case for heavy IEM like OH10S. Previously with OH10 I used NiceHCK C16-3 Copper cable with NX7 style pins, which works with OH10 connectors, just does not go over it.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #419 of 426
The tip rolling, yes. :ok_hand:
"HiFiGo Zeos Render" silicone/foam hybrids are lovely.

Previously with OH10 I used NiceHCK C16-3 Copper cable with NX7 style pins, which works with OH10 connectors, just does not go over it.

I will pick some of those tips up to try.

I googled that cable and it looks like a fire hose -- thick like rope. What is advantage for such a thick cable?

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #420 of 426
I will pick some of those tips up to try.

I googled that cable and it looks like a fire hose -- thick like rope. What is advantage for such a thick cable?

For example, BlackCat is a lot thicker cable in general than the C16-3. BlackCat is a thick 4 Core weave/strand, while C16-3 is a 16 Core weave of very tiny cables. 16 Core cables usually are very soft and pliable. Honestly, it is mostly for aesthetics. If you want I can take a picture tomorrow comparing both or even some more cables next to each other for comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back