iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!!
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #76 of 355
Hiflight reported on my review thread that the iCAN can power his K1000s. That is amazing that it can handle those power hungry cans.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/75#post_9343900

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #77 of 355
Quote:
 Oki, got them today!

*Very nice packed
*All cables needed supplied
*Love the build quality, screams quality, even the volume knobs
*Easy to install

--
*I really don't have much to refer to, my previous best HiFi gear was Asus Xonar Essence ST
(if your on a budget <~150 euro> buy this! I loved mine for many years)
--
*So far I've only listened to maybe 30 songs (all 44/16 FLACs on SSD) via ASIO
--

Sound impressions:
-Out of the boxes - HUGE upgrade, so much more detailed sound, with the Asus Xonar Essence I only liked bass heavy music.
Now everything sounds sweet!
-Warm sound (me like!)
-Normal listening level for me with hifiman he-400 ~30% volume knob, so this powers them well.
-I've now uninstalled all my DSPs and disabled EQ, I dont need this anymore, everything sound really good without them.
-I use +1 x-bass, (3 sounds like **** with he-400)
-I use +1 3d sound (note that this is not fake-surround sound but stereophonic to binaural processing) +3 sounds too artificial and i prefer +1  over disable)
-Sounds as good on low volume as on high.
-Really punchy bass
-ZERO noise!

-I will update this later, I need more time for impressions.

-

- Full-size @ http://xam.nu/f/ifimindz.jpg

Small update; I can add that this kit is AMAZING for gaming and movies aswell. Never heard anything like it, xonar essence is light years beyond.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #79 of 355
I just purchased the iUSB, iDAC and iCAN over the weekend to use it with my grado. However, I have a AudioEngine 5 speakers as well. Can I connect the iCAN to my AudioEngine 5 speaker as well? Would there be noticeable difference? Thanks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #80 of 355
I would probably just go direct from the iUSB to the speakers to avoid an extra layer of amplification that you do not need with the self-powered speakers you have, but of course you can try it with the iCAN in the chain and see what it is like. I would guess the 3D effect would not sound so good out of speakers.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #81 of 355
Quote:
I would probably just go direct from the iUSB to the speakers to avoid an extra layer of amplification that you do not need with the self-powered speakers you have, but of course you can try it with the iCAN in the chain and see what it is like. I would guess the 3D effect would not sound so good out of speakers.

Thanks. I would need to go through the iDAC right?

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #83 of 355
Hi,

Quote:
I just purchased the iUSB, iDAC and iCAN over the weekend to use it with my grado. However, I have a AudioEngine 5 speakers as well. Can I connect the iCAN to my AudioEngine 5 speaker as well? Would there be noticeable difference? Thanks.

I think you can leave the iCan sort of out of the loop.

The 3.5mm and RCA inputs on the iCAN connect in parallel.

We tested it - it makes comparing the iCAN with other headphone amp's MUCH easier, you can just connect the Amp's in parallel and then just plug between the two amp's playing. Kool.

So you can use the unused connector to connect your Active Speakers and play whichever you fancy.

Seeing your Speakers have 3.5mm in, I'd fancy using the 3.5mm "white" cable that comes with the iCAN to the speakers (if it is long enough) and the RCA Cable that comes in the box for the iDAC to iCAN link.

Should be banging!

Cheerio Rich

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #84 of 355
Quote:
Hi,

I think you can leave the iCan sort of out of the loop.

The 3.5mm and RCA inputs on the iCAN connect in parallel.

We tested it - it makes comparing the iCAN with other headphone amp's MUCH easier, you can just connect the Amp's in parallel and then just plug between the two amp's playing. Kool.

So you can use the unused connector to connect your Active Speakers and play whichever you fancy.

Seeing your Speakers have 3.5mm in, I'd fancy using the 3.5mm "white" cable that comes with the iCAN to the speakers (if it is long enough) and the RCA Cable that comes in the box for the iDAC to iCAN link.

Should be banging!

Cheerio Rich

Hi, I am sort of getting lost now. The iDAC has 2 output, of which the RCA would be used to connect to the iCAN. And from the iCAN, I would be using the RCA input to connect with the iDAC. Are you trying to suggest that I should use the 3.5mm input, next to the RCS input to connect to my speakers? Thanks.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #85 of 355
Hi,
Quote:
Hi, I am sort of getting lost now. The iDAC has 2 output, of which the RCA would be used to connect to the iCAN. And from the iCAN, I would be using the RCA input to connect with the iDAC. Are you trying to suggest that I should use the 3.5mm input, next to the RCS input to connect to my speakers? Thanks.

Precisely.

This way the Headphone Amp drives the headphones with a clean input from the DAC and the signal to speakers is also directly from the DAC (plus the 3.5mm) but without any more electronics. 

Headphone Amp Volume controls headphone sound level, Speaker Volume controls speaker sound level.

Cheerio Rich

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #86 of 355
Quote:
Hi,

Precisely.

This way the Headphone Amp drives the headphones with a clean input from the DAC and the signal to speakers is also directly from the DAC (plus the 3.5mm) but without any more electronics. 

Headphone Amp Volume controls headphone sound level, Speaker Volume controls speaker sound level.

Cheerio Rich

I think Rich meant that you hook up both the iCAN (using the RCAs on the iDAC) and the speakers (using the headphone out on the iDAC) to the iDAC, and then the iCAN would control the volume of the headphones, and the volume control on the iDAC would control the speaker volume.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #87 of 355
We've just started selling the ifi range here at Audiologica and so far are very impressed. Any feedback from HeadFi members who have found that it does not drive their phones? So far everything we've tried works a treat but it would be good to get any feedback in order to improve our awareness of any issues that we might share with our potential customers

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #89 of 355
Hi,
Quote:
I think Rich meant that you hook up both the iCAN (using the RCAs on the iDAC) and the speakers (using the headphone out on the iDAC) to the iDAC, and then the iCAN would control the volume of the headphones, and the volume control on the iDAC would control the speaker volume.

No need to do that.

I tried something like this. I feel the HP output is not quite as good as the direct line out, when driving line inputs.

The Audio Engine speakers have Amplifiers and volume control build in and a 3.5mm input (looked it up - seems they even have remote control, neato).

The iCAN has RCA and 3.5mm "Inputs".

For my ongoing Headphone Amp testing I confirmed with iFi that the two are just wired in parallel and that the iDAC can drive several line inputs in parallel (they said 2 should always be ok).

So as long as the Amp (or speaker) you want to run in parallel with the iCAN has a 3.5mm input, you can just take the white 3.5mm cable that comes with the iCAN and connect the second item to the 3.5mm "Input" of the iCAN and get the same line signal from the DAC that goes to the iCAN via RCA.

I have done this not with speakers, but with head amps. I did the Carot One Ernestolo and the Fiio E17 like this. And Gazza lend  me a 3.5mm to RCA Cable to use on some of the other HP Amps. The principle for active speakers or Amp's should be the same though.

It makes comparing Headphone Amp's really easy, if you can run both on exactly the same line signal, the the volume the same with a voltmeter and then just "plug and play" with the headphones, at least compared to plugging RCA cables over between Amps and all that... Much faster and easier to get a feel how the amp's sound different.

Cheerio Rich

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #90 of 355
Quote:
Hi,

No need to do that.

I tried something like this. I feel the HP output is not quite as good as the direct line out, when driving line inputs.

The Audio Engine speakers have Amplifiers and volume control build in and a 3.5mm input (looked it up - seems they even have remote control, neato).

The iCAN has RCA and 3.5mm "Inputs".

For my ongoing Headphone Amp testing I confirmed with iFi that the two are just wired in parallel and that the iDAC can drive several line inputs in parallel (they said 2 should always be ok).

So as long as the Amp (or speaker) you want to run in parallel with the iCAN has a 3.5mm input, you can just take the white 3.5mm cable that comes with the iCAN and connect the second item to the 3.5mm "Input" of the iCAN and get the same line signal from the DAC that goes to the iCAN via RCA.

I have done this not with speakers, but with head amps. I did the Carot One Ernestolo and the Fiio E17 like this. And Gazza lend  me a 3.5mm to RCA Cable to use on some of the other HP Amps. The principle for active speakers or Amp's should be the same though.

It makes comparing Headphone Amp's really easy, if you can run both on exactly the same line signal, the the volume the same with a voltmeter and then just "plug and play" with the headphones, at least compared to plugging RCA cables over between Amps and all that... Much faster and easier to get a feel how the amp's sound different.

Cheerio Rich

Thanks for clarifying. It just was not making sense to hook up to the input on the iCAN, but now it does. That is a clever way of daisy chaining the signal to the speakers.

I also saw this message from iFi on iFi's facebook page that suggests you cannot hook up to both the RCAs and the headphone output on the iDAC:

"Hi, if you use the RCAs, then it is just like any other source so you need a pre-amp. However, if you use the 3.5mm output, then you use the built-in analogue volume control. You can only use ONE output at a time so as per the instructions in the manual and on the chassis, if RCAs are connected, then turn the volume down to zero. A few people have gone through this learning curve!"

So your approach seems like the only one to use. I will add that I still have problems using the 3.5 mm input on the iCAN with cables that have large diameter 3.5 mm male plugs. The cable does not seat properly because the input is slightly recessed.
Works fine with cables that have a narrow male plug, but with thicker plugs, the signal cuts in and out. I went back to using the RCA inputs on my iCAN to avoid the problem altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back