iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!!
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #61 of 355
This is quite strange, iCAN never bother me with treble.

Between here is the Triad gangster:

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #62 of 355
The treble doesn't bother me with most headphones. It's just the K271. I've also tried a T50RP, a T50p, and a Sextett. The Sextett wasn't that great with it either; it was a little sloppy in ways that my bigger amp rectified, but considering this is transportable, I'm quite impressed. If only it ran on batteries.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #63 of 355
Quote:

I haven't turned it on for more than thirty seconds. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I'll try it again another day.

I find the 3D works really well with warmer/darker sounding headphones, but I have not had a problem with too much treble with it turned off on any headphones. The one-dot setting on the 3D effect seems to tone down the brightness of the sound a bit as well as add some more traditional crossfeed. I use it very occasionally when a song comes on that was recorded with too much treble brightness, but mostly I use the three-dot setting with my HD650s.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #64 of 355
Quote:
The treble doesn't bother me with most headphones. It's just the K271. I've also tried a T50RP, a T50p, and a Sextett. The Sextett wasn't that great with it either; it was a little sloppy in ways that my bigger amp rectified, but considering this is transportable, I'm quite impressed. If only it ran on batteries.

It seems like this battery would work: http://www.powerstream.com/PST-MP3500.htm

And Vincent from iFi told me they are considering offering a battery pack for the iCAN.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #65 of 355
Just one thing regarding the iCan that I've noticed: The upper mids are definitely forward. It works with some headphones, like the SA5000, but downright wonky with any AKG that I've tried. That's probably my main issue. I just got an iBasso D12 and while it's less detailed than the iCan, it matches better with AKGs because its upper mids are more subdued.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #66 of 355
Quote:
Just one thing regarding the iCan that I've noticed: The upper mids are definitely forward. It works with some headphones, like the SA5000, but downright wonky with any AKG that I've tried. That's probably my main issue. I just got an iBasso D12 and while it's less detailed than the iCan, it matches better with AKGs because its upper mids are more subdued.

Maybe that is part of why I like it so much with the HD650s. Since they are already boosted in the lower mids, bringing out the upper mids kind of wakes them up and brings them alive. And the X-bass adds in the lowest octave or so of sub-bass, while the 3D effect adds in some more treble. The end result is a balanced sound.

I sold my AKG K550s after trying them out, but I did not like them with any amp I own including the iCAN. However, Bedlam Inside loves the K701 with the iCAN.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #67 of 355
Yup, I agree that iCAN has some kind of 'forward and rich' sound signature, and arguable might not that good for some headphone, but this is normal.

It is good that you have discovered another pairing.

Personally love the iCAN when paired with Soundmagic HP-100.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #69 of 355
I have reviewed the iUSB

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-iusb-power/reviews/8685

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #70 of 355

idac unboxing!

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #75 of 355
 Oki, got them today!

*Very nice packed
*All cables needed supplied
*Love the build quality, screams quality, even the volume knobs
*Easy to install

--
*I really don't have much to refer to, my previous best HiFi gear was Asus Xonar Essence ST
(if your on a budget <~150 euro> buy this! I loved mine for many years)
--
*So far I've only listened to maybe 30 songs (all 44/16 FLACs on SSD) via ASIO
--

Sound impressions:
-Out of the boxes - HUGE upgrade, so much more detailed sound, with the Asus Xonar Essence I only liked bass heavy music.
Now everything sounds sweet!
-Warm sound (me like!)
-Normal listening level for me with hifiman he-400 ~30% volume knob, so this powers them well.
-I've now uninstalled all my DSPs and disabled EQ, I dont need this anymore, everything sound really good without them.
-I use +1 x-bass, (3 sounds like **** with he-400)
-I use +1 3d sound (note that this is not fake-surround sound but stereophonic to binaural processing) +3 sounds too artificial and i prefer +1  over disable)
-Sounds as good on low volume as on high.
-Really punchy bass
-ZERO noise!

-I will update this later, I need more time for impressions.

-

- Full-size @ http://xam.nu/f/ifimindz.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back