iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,417 of 9,047
All these features and no buttons for playback controls. Ifi should do something about that.
If that's such an important feature to you then Fiio Q5 is the way to go

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #8,418 of 9,047
All these features and no buttons for playback controls. Ifi should do something about that.

We look into literally every option/feature there is and roll with what fits the most. Although we do our best, we can't make each individual in 100% happy.

The man would like to navigate through music via physical buttons on xDSD (which it doesn't have) rather than those available in his smartphone and we fully understand that need.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #8,419 of 9,047
Just joining late to the micro iDSD wagon.

I was looking to a good reference DAC so searching in head-fi I got a good deal on a classic micro iDSD, I'm amazed by the sound quality, I'm currently using iem only at the time (Hidition NT6).

Just a little issue with iEMatch switch feeling loose at High and Ultra position, but I'll be better using an external iEMatch adapter to overcome that.

Coming from a Opus#1 as my last reference micro iDSD was a great upgrade.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #8,420 of 9,047
Just joining late to the micro iDSD wagon.

I was looking to a good reference DAC so searching in head-fi I got a good deal on a classic micro iDSD, I'm amazed by the sound quality, I'm currently using iem only at the time (Hidition NT6).

Just a little issue with iEMatch switch feeling loose at High and Ultra position, but I'll be better using an external iEMatch adapter to overcome that.

Coming from a Opus#1 as my last reference micro iDSD was a great upgrade.

Cool, enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,421 of 9,047
I have a bit of travel coming up, so I decided it was time to invest in a little protection for my favorite piece of gear when it's not on my desk or in my pocket (yes, actually in my pocket). I opted for a Pelican 1060 case with the 1062 foam insert. You can see the results below.

For those unfamiliar with Pelican, they make cases in a huge variety of shapes and sizes and are known for the extreme protection they offer equipment. But, this isn't going to be a review for Pelican. I just want to share a few things that I wish I had known before ordering to save myself time researching this stuff.
  • 1060 is the case model that best fits the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label with the cable. The DAC/amp sits far enough down in the foam to allow the cable to rest comfortably on top.
  • The 1062 foam block wedges into the case and the Black Label wedges into the foam so tightly that the DAC/amp is snug and securely in place even upside-down. No chance of my gear clunking around.
  • Prices for the foam on Amazon are insane, nearly as much as the case, but buying direct from Pelican or from smaller stores like Adorama is much cheaper.
  • The perforation on the foam is vertical, but not horizontal.
  • Take as little of the foam blocks out as possible for a tight fit.
  • I cut a thin bit of packing material I saved for the lid portion. That's just to preserve the stealth factor when the cable is in there.
  • Put a length of cord or ribbon under the BL with the ends sticking up over it. This will give you something to pull on to more easily extract the BL from its from cozy nest. (Sorry, thought of this after I took the pics.)
I highly recommend this storage solution. Cost me a total of $35, all told, and it's worth every penny to know that my Black Label is protected from just about everything.

cord closed.jpg cord open.jpg no cord closed.jpg no cord open.jpg

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #8,422 of 9,047
I have a bit of travel coming up, so I decided it was time to invest in a little protection for my favorite piece of gear when it's not on my desk or in my pocket (yes, actually in my pocket). I opted for a Pelican 1060 case with the 1062 foam insert. You can see the results below.

For those unfamiliar with Pelican, they make cases in a huge variety of shapes and sizes and are known for the extreme protection they offer equipment. But, this isn't going to be a review for Pelican. I just want to share a few things that I wish I had known before ordering to save myself time researching this stuff.
  • 1060 is the case model that best fits the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label with the cable. The DAC/amp sits far enough down in the foam to allow the cable to rest comfortably on top.
  • The 1062 foam block wedges into the case and the Black Label wedges into the foam so tightly that the DAC/amp is snug and securely in place even upside-down. No chance of my gear clunking around.
  • Prices for the foam on Amazon are insane, nearly as much as the case, but buying direct from Pelican or from smaller stores like Adorama is much cheaper.
  • The perforation on the foam is vertical, but not horizontal.
  • Take as little of the foam blocks out as possible for a tight fit.
  • I cut a thin bit of packing material I saved for the lid portion. That's just to preserve the stealth factor when the cable is in there.
  • Put a length of cord or ribbon under the BL with the ends sticking up over it. This will give you something to pull on to more easily extract the BL from its from cozy nest. (Sorry, thought of this after I took the pics.)
I highly recommend this storage solution. Cost me a total of $35, all told, and it's worth every penny to know that my Black Label is protected from just about everything.

It looks comfy and happy!

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #8,424 of 9,047
Hi guys! I have a 1st gen. Micro iDSD (Silver), and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm going to make some upgrade. I'm considering 2 options:
1. Upgrade to iDSD BL
2. Buy some good portable balanced AMP to pair with my current silver iDSD (want to try my 250ohms Beyers on balanced connection).

Any suggestions about these options, and how can I get a better sound? Maybe anybody used iDSD as a DAC with a standalone portable AMP? My budget is about $700-$800. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,425 of 9,047
Hi guys! I have a 1st gen. Micro iDSD (Silver), and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm going to make some upgrade. I'm considering 2 options:
1. Upgrade to iDSD BL
2. Buy some good portable balanced AMP to pair with my current silver iDSD (want to try my 250ohms Beyers on balanced connection).

Any suggestions about these options, and how can I get a better sound? Maybe anybody used iDSD as a DAC with a standalone portable AMP? My budget is about $700-$800. Thanks!

I have had both of these and I liked the silver iDSD but like the iDSD BL much more. The details, micro details, music separation and all areas across the sound stage sound better to my ear. The headphone amplifier included in the BL is quite good and almost as good as the ICANSE which I used to have, but replaced with Schiit Magni 3. You could use the BL to do everything that you need and since the line out is REALLY good, can set this up to go to a dedicated headphone amp. Not sure if you will find a better DAC/AMP combo for the price that is portable.

If looking for a desktop headphone amp that does not break the bank but punches WAY above its weight and which works really well with the iDSD BL, the Schiit Magni 3 at $99 sounds exceptional. Is not portable, has wall wart and is small form factor but offers option at home / work / other location to really show what the iDSD BL can really do! :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #8,426 of 9,047
1. Upgrade to iDSD BL

Like KingK, I also have both the iDSD silver and the Black Label. I was able to demo the BL during its tour and the improvement over the silver immediately apparent. I then bought the BL when I caught one of the recurring sales at Adorama, a significant discount, and haven't looked back. I can't say if the BL's improvements are due to the DAC, amp, or both, but I'm very happy with it. Actually, since the BL sounded so much nicer than the silver (which is still a great unit!), I've been wondering about that Pro iDSD... Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #8,428 of 9,047
I have had both of these and I liked the silver iDSD but like the iDSD BL much more. The details, micro details, music separation and all areas across the sound stage sound better to my ear. The headphone amplifier included in the BL is quite good and almost as good as the ICANSE which I used to have, but replaced with Schiit Magni 3. You could use the BL to do everything that you need and since the line out is REALLY good, can set this up to go to a dedicated headphone amp. Not sure if you will find a better DAC/AMP combo for the price that is portable.

If looking for a desktop headphone amp that does not break the bank but punches WAY above its weight and which works really well with the iDSD BL, the Schiit Magni 3 at $99 sounds exceptional. Is not portable, has wall wart and is small form factor but offers option at home / work / other location to really show what the iDSD BL can really do! :)
Just curious, why did you replace the ICAN SE with the Magni 3?

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #8,429 of 9,047
Just curious, why did you replace the ICAN SE with the Magni 3?

Great question and happy to tell more about why. I have been gradually building up my headphone system over the past few years, interconnect here, sound suppression tweak there, new headphones. When I transitioned from the Hifiman 560 to the Edition X V2 I noticed that there was a big improvement. My next thing I wanted to look at was a upgrade from the IcanSE headphone amplifier I had and I looked online. I really wanted the Ican Pro, but I did not have the money so I decided to do some research. I ran across a number of posts about headphone amplifiers, then saw the one on Masterswitch that listed the Schiit Magni 3 as number 1. Above Firefies WA7??? Above Hafler HA75 and Brytson BHA-1??? This cannot be right since it is only $99. So I did some research and there are a lot of impressive reviews. The one that made me buy this was when on one of the threads on Head Fi the reviewer mentioned that the magni 3 hooked up to the Yagdrisl ($2300 dac from Schiit which is very well reviewed) sounded just like a magni 3 hooked up to a Yagdrisl. What they were referring to is that it sounded almost as good as the Ragnarok ($1600 headphone amp which is a solid performer) and sounded really close to it. Only difference was the degree of base slam and the Ragnarock was a bit more spacious sounding. So I am thinking this is worth the money to try since maybe it will be more revealing that the IcanSE. Boy is it!!! The details, microdetails, sound stage, separation, every part of the audiopresentation is a big step up! The magni 3 really does punch above it weight class and pairs really well with the iDSD BL. The best part is I did not break the bank! :)

Here is the system I have right now since I think that interconnects and other components in the sound chain really can effect what we hear:

Computer > Anticable Reference 3.1 USB > iFi Mico USB 3.0 > Anticable Reference 3.1 Split Y USB cable > iFi iDSD Mico BL > Anticable 6.2 RCA > Magni 3 > Cardas Clear Light heaphone cable > Hifiman Edition X V2

Have a number of iFi 3.0 USB noise suppression, vibrapod vibration dampening and other tweaks to enhance audio quality and noise floor :)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #8,430 of 9,047
Great question and happy to tell more about why. I have been gradually building up my headphone system over the past few years, interconnect here, sound suppression tweak there, new headphones. When I transitioned from the Hifiman 560 to the Edition X V2 I noticed that there was a big improvement. My next thing I wanted to look at was a upgrade from the IcanSE headphone amplifier I had and I looked online. I really wanted the Ican Pro, but I did not have the money so I decided to do some research. I ran across a number of posts about headphone amplifiers, then saw the one on Masterswitch that listed the Schiit Magni 3 as number 1. Above Firefies WA7??? Above Hafler HA75 and Brytson BHA-1??? This cannot be right since it is only $99. So I did some research and there are a lot of impressive reviews. The one that made me buy this was when on one of the threads on Head Fi the reviewer mentioned that the magni 3 hooked up to the Yagdrisl ($2300 dac from Schiit which is very well reviewed) sounded just like a magni 3 hooked up to a Yagdrisl. What they were referring to is that it sounded almost as good as the Ragnarok ($1600 headphone amp which is a solid performer) and sounded really close to it. Only difference was the degree of base slam and the Ragnarock was a bit more spacious sounding. So I am thinking this is worth the money to try since maybe it will be more revealing that the IcanSE. Boy is it!!! The details, microdetails, sound stage, separation, every part of the audiopresentation is a big step up! The magni 3 really does punch above it weight class and pairs really well with the iDSD BL. The best part is I did not break the bank! :)

Here is the system I have right now since I think that interconnects and other components in the sound chain really can effect what we hear:

Computer > Anticable Reference 3.1 USB > iFi Mico USB 3.0 > Anticable Reference 3.1 Split Y USB cable > iFi iDSD Mico BL > Anticable 6.2 RCA > Magni 3 > Cardas Clear Light heaphone cable > Hifiman Edition X V2

Have a number of iFi 3.0 USB noise suppression, vibrapod vibration dampening and other tweaks to enhance audio quality and noise floor :)
So is the low end better on the Magni 3 compared to the iDSD Black Label? I'm a basshead :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back