iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #7,562 of 9,047
Caught in the wild (or actually CanJam Singapore)

CJSG17-67.jpg

CJSG17-68.jpg

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #7,563 of 9,047

For the iDSD micro, the different power modes do not change either output impedance / damping factor (damping factor is load impedance divided by output impedance).  Neither does the current limit of the circuit change. 

The output impedance / damping factor and current limit change only if iEMatch is engaged.

The lower power is simply due to reducing the power supply voltage and the circuit gain, thus making the amplifier clip earlier but also consuming much less idle power.

The largest objective change we observe is that the higher gain / power modes have marginally higher distortion levels into low impedance headphones (< 50 Ohm) and absolute background noise is raised in line with gain. 

So, objectively the higher gain/power modes produce more background noise, a smidgen more distortion and the amplifier clips at higher output voltage levels. 

What this means is that the higher gain/power are matched to higher impedance, lower sensitivity headphones. In this case the distortion remains low and the noise at the actual headphone accoustic output also remains low and the added output voltage compensates the lower sensitivity.

We would not wish to venture speculations as to why some iDSD micro users perceive large sonic differences with power mode. 

However our own listening panels (using multiple iDSD micro accurately level matched) did not pick up on these differences and which show no evidence in measured performance. 

It is essential to make sure to adjust the volume setting using a test signal and a suitable signal meter to compensate gain changes, rather than attempting to level match "by ear". 

As little as an 0.5dB higher level (and 0.5dB are near impossible to set accurately and repeatedly by ear) will give a sound that is subjectively perceived as more dynamic and possibly with more bass, but is not perceived as louder. 

It takes around 3dB level difference before the louder source is identified as louder using music, so it is relatively easy to be fooled by small but significant level differences into "hearing things" that in reality do not exist.

Thanks for your detailed answer

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #7,564 of 9,047
I'm also using the Micro iDSD with my rather old hifi system as a DAC as follows; Fiio X3II > iDSD > cheap China made tube preamp > old active speakers, In the beginning I didn't expect too much thinking that the sound will come out tinny or worse, distort but much to my surprise the sound is great. Perhaps the tube preamp helps to give a more analog sound. Anyway a lot has been said about the iDSD's technology and sonic performance, so no need to repeat it here. Just want to highlight how versatile the iDSD is in that it can integrate well with diverse and even old hifi gear and that it performs great with more than just headphones.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #7,565 of 9,047
  I'm also using the Micro iDSD with my rather old hifi system as a DAC as follows; Fiio X3II > iDSD > cheap China made tube preamp > old active speakers, In the beginning I didn't expect too much thinking that the sound will come out tinny or worse, distort but much to my surprise the sound is great. Perhaps the tube preamp helps to give a more analog sound. Anyway a lot has been said about the iDSD's technology and sonic performance, so no need to repeat it here. Just want to highlight how versatile the iDSD is in that it can integrate well with diverse and even old hifi gear and that it performs great with more than just headphones.

I love this picture, really does show off how versatile the iDSD Micro is.

I have to say that from my limited experience when using the iDSD as a dac only, it does have a nice organic sound to it.  When using as a DAC/AMP it can sound a little less so.

I have received my iDSD black today and have been comparing the 2 side by side and I can say that the BL is a clear step up for me.
The sound has more body, the mids have more body yet on hard rock/metal somehow manage to have a nice bite on distorted guitars at the same time and the highs are smoother.

These are quite noticeable changes with my headphones which tend to sound very lean with cold sources.
I was quite happy with the silver iDSD Micro, but now I am even more so.

Bass boost is also more pronounced in a good way.  I haven't played with the 3D effect much as yet.

Great great work on the BL ifi!

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #7,566 of 9,047
I am loving my idsd micro black label.
I loved my silver one but this is great with my ethers. Just taken that cold tone and warmed it up.

Is there any benefit to me running the Ican se with the black idsd?

I am curious about the iTube with idsd and Ican for headphones. The worth of the iTube would be subjective, but is there much gained from the idsd BL amp section to the Ican se?

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #7,567 of 9,047
I am loving my idsd micro black label.
I loved my silver one but this is great with my ethers. Just taken that cold tone and warmed it up.

Is there any benefit to me running the Ican se with the black idsd?

I am curious about the iTube with idsd and Ican for headphones. The worth of the iTube would be subjective, but is there much gained from the idsd BL amp section to the Ican se?

If you don't already have an iPurifier2, that would be the first thing to get.

My experience of the iTube was that it did nothing I could hear through the T1 when placed between an iDSD and an iCAN.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #7,568 of 9,047
If you don't already have an iPurifier2, that would be the first thing to get.

My experience of the iTube was that it did nothing I could hear through the T1 when placed between an iDSD and an iCAN.

I don't have an ipurifier no. Closest I use currently is just a jitterbug.

I use the idsd black with stock ifi cable and my headphones.

Looking to further improve the sound if the upgrades are worth it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #7,570 of 9,047
  If anyone is looking to buy ifi products, Adorama has a sale again.  Just got my iDSD BL for 399.

link ?

here the price is 549$

https://www.adorama.com/ifmicridsdbl.html

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #7,573 of 9,047
Sorry for dumb question but I cant find answer anywhere. Is it normal that the line out is still active when I plug in headphones? I am using active studio monitors on lineout and I dont want to turn them off everytime I want to use headphones. I though the device will mute lineout when I plug headphones. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back