iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7,276 of 9,047
I've got the Sony Hap-S1 digital music server that has RCA outputs That I want to put in to the Micro iDSD... But I just noticed that it was labeled input on the iDSD RCAs....So does that mean DONT connect them that way? And if not, how. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #7,277 of 9,047
  I've got the Sony Hap-S1 digital music server that has RCA outputs That I want to put in to the Micro iDSD... But I just noticed that it was labeled input on the iDSD RCAs....So does that mean DONT connect them that way? And if not, how. 

You can  get RCA to 3.5mm (It will be a Y cable, since 3.5mm is only one jack for combined L+R) then put that into the 3.5mm input in the front. Note: just to clarify this means the idsd micro will be a amp only. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #7,278 of 9,047
  You can  get RCA to 3.5mm (It will be a Y cable, since 3.5mm is only one jack for combined L+R) then put that into the 3.5mm input in the front. Note: just to clarify this means the idsd micro will be a amp only. 

That's correct. But there's also an option to use iDSD Micro as a source and connect it to said Sony machine's line inputs (presumably their level can be fixed). In such scenario the latter's functionality would be limited to amplifier (headphone amp and stereo power amp) only.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,279 of 9,047
BTW, is there ANY way to use the idsd micro via optical/coaxial in WHILE charging it? I'm thinking of a scenario where i am using the idsd micro at home with a source that outputs coaxial/optical.

ETA: I COULD use a wall charger (or battery pack) to charge using the included blue cable and connect optical at same time. Before I do this however, @iFi audio will this work? and more importantly, is it safe for the device to do this (i.e. short term/long term, is this a good way to operate)?

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #7,281 of 9,047

ETA: I COULD use a wall charger (or battery pack) to charge using the included blue cable and connect optical at same time. Before I do this however, @iFi audio will this work? and more importantly, is it safe for the device to do this (i.e. short term/long term, is this a good way to operate)?

I asked iFi this same question over a support ticket. They said it was OK to run a USB into the micro iDSD to charge it while Optical is sending out the digital signal. It seemed to work fine when connected to a battery pack or plugged in to the wall.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #7,282 of 9,047
Yeah. You just need a split OTG cable. One end goes in the phone, the other end goes in the iUSB and the type A socket goes in the iDSD. Note that this won't charge the phone.

Is this the one-stop solution to connect my Android phone and Windows PC to the idsd?

Thanks!

If you mean what I think you mean then no, it isn't.

One cable carries data only (from the phone).

The other carries power only (from a USB PSU such as the iUSBPower).

It is not possible to connect a phone and a PC to the iDSD via USB at the same time.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #7,283 of 9,047

This weekend is first big fight for the IDSD-Black : Alo Panam ''mullard tube and Lehmann Linear SE usb for drive my Beyerdynamic DT1990... 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #7,284 of 9,047

This weekend is first big fight for the IDSD-Black : Alo Panam ''mullard tube and Lehmann Linear SE usb for drive my Beyerdynamic DT1990... 
deadhorse.gif

nice rig...looking forward to your thoughts

fingers crossed that iFi does firmware upgrade on the idac and idsd to allow for MQA, since others are doing so (audioquest and their dragonflys)

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #7,285 of 9,047
Cant get my iDSD Black to charge!?

I am using a 5v / 2A USB charger with a
USB- A-A cable inserted in the side of the iDSD Black, but does not take any charging!?

I have tested to turn it On but it just blinking red and would not play.

Need som help here :wink:

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #7,286 of 9,047
Cant get my iDSD Black to charge!?

I am using a 5v / 2A USB charger with a
USB- A-A cable inserted in the side of the iDSD Black, but does not take any charging!?

I have tested to turn it On but it just blinking red and would not play.

Need som help here
wink.gif

Charging is done through the same USB input you use to connect it to your source, so it will charge if you leave it connected to your PC using the included blue cable.

Regards,
Rafa

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,287 of 9,047
Charging is done through the same USB input you use to connect it to your source, so it will charge if you leave it connected to your PC using the included blue cable.

Regards,
Rafa

Okey, but what about the USB input on the side then, where it say 5 v / 1,5 A Charging, is that for charge another product like an iphone or?

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #7,290 of 9,047
Okey, but what about the USB input on the side then, where it say 5 v / 1,5 A Charging, is that for charge another product like an iphone or?

Yes, for charging your phone, etc.

...and only active when the iDSD is turned OFF.

Basically you can use the iDSD as an emergency charger for your phone using that side USB port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back