iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 19, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #6,721 of 9,047
Thank you for you reply,

I had to install ASIOProxy, found here to get foo_dsd_asio to display in ASIO drivers.

Latest version is 0.9.2 and looks like this (don't know if there's anything wrong there):

In the SACD tab, the PCM settings seem to be fine:

...while the DSD options are greyed out:

Does anyone know why?

DSD plays fine though.

go to the foobar forums and take a look. Let google be your assistant. peace

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #6,722 of 9,047
...while the DSD options are greyed out:

Does anyone know why?

DSD plays fine though.

Items are greyed out when they are not relevant.

Since you're using a micro iDSD which can play DSD natively (i.e. without conversion), you should use output mode DSD.

Output mode PCM will convert all your DSD files to PCM on the way out. This is for DACs that cannot play DSD.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #6,723 of 9,047
Thanks again for your reply & your explanations technobear,

it's all new for me so I suppose the learning curve is a bit more steep than I had imagined.

What got me started on that "greyed out" DSD option was the very post you directed me to earlier, namely this.
In your post there, DSD options aren't greyed out and just wanted to replicate that.

What am I missing here?

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #6,727 of 9,047
Can someone tell me how to find the current version of firmware that my micro iDSD is running, and what version is recommended for a stand alone windows XP machine using Foobar2000?  Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #6,729 of 9,047

Maybe you can check if your AMR USB driver has been really and properly installed? it should look like this :

I have also 64 bits but I'm on Windows 10 Pro

Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me with this, I appreciate it.

This is how mine looks, identical to yours, lacking only the digital signature.
It could be a Windows 7 vs Windows 10 issue but it would be nice if someone could confirm this.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #6,730 of 9,047

Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me with this, I appreciate it.

This is how mine looks, identical to yours, lacking only the digital signature.
It could be a Windows 7 vs Windows 10 issue but it would be nice if someone could confirm this.

It's strange because your driver has been properly installed
ph34r.gif

Maybe you should ask to ifi team via ticket support? they are very reactive and helpful.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #6,731 of 9,047
Can someone tell me how to find the current version of firmware that my micro iDSD is running

C:\Program Files\iFi\USB_HD_Audio_Driver\iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe

What version is recommended for a stand alone windows XP machine using Foobar2000? Thanks.

http://ifi-audio.com/micro-idsd-ifi-xmos-firmware/

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #6,732 of 9,047
I know I've read the answer to my question below somewhere but can't find it here or on the ifi site, so:
When selecting the line direct out with fixed RCA output are the digital filters still active or does direct line out bypass everything?
Thanks

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #6,733 of 9,047

Thank you for this

Thank you for this Technobear.  Have you read if anyone has 'bricked' their micro iDSD when upgrading firmware?  I'm still running 4.06, but play a lot of native DSD music and  the new 5.2 is supposed to have improved sonics for native DSD.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #6,734 of 9,047
I know I've read the answer to my question below somewhere but can't find it here or on the ifi site, so:
When selecting the line direct out with fixed RCA output are the digital filters still active or does direct line out bypass everything?
Thanks

What do you mean by 'digital filters'?

A lot of folks are getting confused and thinking that XBASS and 3D must be DSP. They are not and they are not active in direct mode.

If you mean the digital filters in the DAC - standard, minimum phase and bit perfect - these are always active.

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #6,735 of 9,047
Have you read if anyone has 'bricked' their micro iDSD when upgrading firmware?

I don't recall that happening to anyone. I've done it a fair few times without mishap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back