iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 5, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #6,676 of 9,047
This article beings to explain why a digital cable can effect the sound.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft#TDOLig5f4FLQydcB.97

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #6,678 of 9,047
  LOL, forgot the ask the one question I had in mind before I got sidetracked with the Wyrd/cable experiment:

Does anyone have a suggested OTG cable that will fit inside the iDSD USB port and ends in a micro USB connector? I'm curious to try my Onkyo DP-X1 with the iDSD.

Thanks

Any good quality OTG cable will do, but I build mine just to shorten the wires.

DP-X1 and iDSD

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #6,679 of 9,047
  This article beings to explain why a digital cable can effect the sound.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/draft#TDOLig5f4FLQydcB.97

I read that article, and beyond the fact that the contributing authors seem to have a dog in the hunt as they say, there was no evidence provided that any of these proposed measureable differences are audible. I am not saying I know as a fact there is no possible way that a cable can influence the sound; however I'm saying the above article is not in any way evidence either.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #6,681 of 9,047
http://www.audiostream.com/content/theres-no-such-thing-digital-conversation-charles-hansen-gordon-rankin-and-steve-silberman-p#owUaq2DWmz3URi2D.97

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #6,682 of 9,047

Who else has this 5 seconds status time? I never experienced this with my iDSD with any firmware version.
I'm on Mac, isn't your configuration the root cause?

I do, and it's not 5 seconds, it's more like 3 seconds for me (PC, not MAC).

It manifests both in foobar2000 and youtube.

The device doesn't have to wait those 15 seconds to go into idle to have these problems.

1.Playing the first track after opening foobar2000 ---> 3 seconds delay (100% occurence).
2.Unpausing a track in foobar2000 after 10-15 seconds (yes, it varies) and no other audio activity ---> 3 seconds delay (100% occurence).
3.Sometimes switching immediately from playing youtube to foobar2000 ---> 3 seconds delay (couldn't detect a pattern yet, sometimes it's working as it should aka no pause).
4.Playing a youtube video, pausing it, waiting for 5-7 seconds, opening a new video ---> 1 to 3 seconds delay on that new video (100% occurence).

It's incredibly annoying, did anyone find a fix for this?

N.B.

The device doesn't have to wait those 15 seconds to go into idle to have these problems.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #6,684 of 9,047

I do, and it's not 5 seconds, it's more like 3 seconds for me (PC, not MAC).

It manifests both in foobar2000 and youtube.

1.Playing the first track after opening foobar2000 ---> 3 seconds delay (100% occurence).
2.Unpausing a track in foobar2000 after 10-15 seconds (yes, it varies) and no other audio activity ---> 3 seconds delay (100% occurence).
3.Sometimes switching immediately from playing youtube to foobar2000 ---> 3 seconds delay (couldn't detect a pattern yet, sometimes it's working as it should aka no pause).
4.Playing a youtube video, pausing it, waiting for 5-7 seconds, opening a new video ---> 1 to 3 seconds delay on that new video (100% occurence).

It's incredibly annoying, did anyone find a fix for this?

N.B.

Glad to see I'm not alone also.
I already tried to discuss via a ticket of this problem with iFi technical support team, and it's like I was alone in this case.
Definitely, the problem is firmware related, as 5.10 is lowering this delay to 2-3 seconds for me (5.20 is more like 4-5 seconds).
Anyway, I had the exact same issue with my previous iDAC2 which I returned due to this, and with the iDSD, it's the same (or even more) problem. I think I will have to deal with it then, but yeah, losing some seconds when watching youtube, and switching to foobar to lose again seconds is really annoying, but something you should consider if interested to buy the iDSD, unless it will be fixed with a new firmware.

Quote:
  flash your IDSD micro on 5.2B limoncello firmware... your problem is end !

Already tried that "tweak", not working... unfortunately.
Exact same problem as 5.20.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #6,686 of 9,047
  I don't have iDSD, but have noticed this phenomenon with my iDAC. Could it have something to do with the buffer size?

I don't think so. Have all buffers set to max size and my Micro also does the same thing. Think it only happens with any of the v5.2 firmwares. May have to revert to 5.1 to eliminate the problem but don't want to give up the improvement in sound quality. Otherwise, we'll have to wait and see if iFi cures the problem with the next firmware update.

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #6,687 of 9,047

Think it only happens with any of the v5.2 firmwares. May have to revert to 5.1 to eliminate the problem but don't want to give up the improvement in sound quality. Otherwise, we'll have to wait and see if iFi cures the problem with the next firmware update.

You know as well as I do that reverting to an older firmware is not a solution, at least not a just/fair one.
I don't think I have to explain why.

iFi replied here to another user a few posts back in a rather unkind & less promising manner.
A few posts after that a somewhat different response was written, here.

I'm quite positive you're not alone in seeing this a MAJOR flaw in this product's functionality.

Anyway, I had the exact same issue with my previous iDAC2 which I returned due to this, and with the iDSD, it's the same (or even more) problem. 

I'm still hoping they will revert from this initial way of thinking and fix this issue in the next firmware.
I should also add that I won't keep this hope indefinitely.
Quite the contrary.

Until then, I will repeat & support what the first user who reported this issue said:

Until this is fixed I cannot recommend the iFi Micro iDSD. 
mad.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #6,688 of 9,047

Already tried that "tweak", not working... unfortunately.
Exact same problem as 5.20.

As you have done this then you have eliminated the firmware as the cause. Because if the problem persists with firmware 5.XB and was present with an iDAC2 then it is DEFINITELY NOT firmware related.

The issue would be in the PC setup. We use both iDAC2 micro and iDSD micro with youtube etc. and it does not take 3 - 5 seconds before music plays. 

The first appx. 0.1 to 0.3 seconds may be cut off if the track playing forces a sample rate change, as the iDSD micro cannot adapt 'instantly.'

For J-River simple set "play silence for hardware synchronisation" to on. 

For windows own sound system (or Mac's own sound system simply set default sample rate to match that of audio normally playing.)

An issue can happen if system sounds are 48khz sample rate files and Audio is 44.1kHz. Then the DAC constantly switches sample rates. Best disable system sounds under this condition.

Please don't forget the PC and its software needs configuring too, not just the micro iDSD.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 16, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #6,689 of 9,047

You know as well as I do that reverting to an older firmware is not a solution, at least not a just/fair one.

I'm quite positive you're not alone in seeing this a MAJOR flaw in this product's functionality.

Normally, I'd agree but not this time. I have more than a few of iFi's products and have even been critical of them at times.

The Micro's functionality was already very good but iFi kept pushing to improve it. They even added A and B versions for those of us who requested a way to prevent battery drain from our phones on the go. The last two updates also improved audio quality.

I thought v5.1 would be final but was surprised to see them release v5.2 anyway. Compare this to other manufacturers (this means you A&K) who can't be bothered to fix any issues with their products.

V5.2 was optional (meaning not required). My micro was working perfectly but I chose to try the update knowing full well I could revert back to 5.1 if I didn't like it. I'm still on 5.2. For me, the improved audio is worth a few seconds of harmless silence (you should try Bug Head for comparison). Perhaps iFi wasn't able to accomplish that improvement without the silence (the Micro's design is already over 2 years old) but, again, it was optional. Claiming a product is severely flawed because you choose NOT to use the most capable firmware for yours makes little sense.

Thought we might see v5.3 by now but, after some of the feedback they got, suspect iFi re-directed their efforts toward new products (just like every other company). The iDSD Micro was crowd-designed and they seemed more than willing to continue improving it. But some users only look at the highest number and can't seem to comprehend (imo) what they were trying to do.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #6,690 of 9,047

Normally, I'd agree but not this time. I have more than a few of iFi's products and have even been critical of them at times.

I didn't want to go into this, but since you insist.
I find it great that you have been critical of iFi when you wished to, I believe myself & the others have the same right.

V5.2 was optional (meaning not required).
Claiming a product is severely flawed because you choose NOT to use the most capable firmware for yours makes little sense.
FOR ME, the improved audio is worth a few seconds of harmless silence.

I detected fanboyism & got triggered, especially since you are not (or are you?) working for iFi and telling me what makes sense or not, when it is me who paid for it, not you.

1. First of all I'm not claiming, I know for a fact that the latest firmware makes this product less functional, FOR ME.
Apparently I'm not the only one who shares this point of view.
And even if I were there might still be people who haven't bought this product yet and wouldn't if they were to find out that the latest (optional) firmware adds a 3-5-x seconds of silence.
I know - again not claiming - for a fact that is/would've been true FOR ME.
So it's my bad I didn't find out earlier, I'll give you just that.

2. Where does iFi mention on their website that the latest (5.20) firmware is less capable?
Do they even mention it's optional? The word "optional" or any of its synonyms don't appear here.
It makes common sense to assume upgrading/downgrading to any firwmare version IS OPTIONAL.
Just as it is buying the product in the first place, especially if you find out certain things about its (optional) features.
I will tell you what is NOT optional FOR ME, ditching iFi Micro iDSD if this doesn't get fixed, just like subwoof3r did:

Anyway, I had the exact same issue with my previous iDAC2 which I returned due to this.

Getting back on track:

FOR ME, the improved audio is worth a few seconds of harmless silence.

No, I didn't downgrade the firmware version to 5.10 as suggested by the iFi representative above (no, not you).
And no, I won't do that because I'm stubborn but because I appreciate the improved audio in 5.20.
What's the solution for those of us who also appreciate the improved audio in the 5.20 firmware version but can't cope with the dreaded defect/flaw of having to miss the first 3-5-x seconds?

3. I'll tell you what would make sense.

iFi markets this product as being, and I'm quoting from the product's official website

It is the only DAC in the world (at any price) to play True Native Octa-DSD512/PCM768/Double DXD.

I think it should be only fair to add to that the following:

It is also the only DAC in the world (at any price) to play 3 to 5 seconds of harmless silence for free (via the optional 5.20 firmware update).

4. Oh, let's not forget this:
Until this is fixed I cannot recommend the iFi Micro iDSD. 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back