iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 12, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,821 of 9,047
  @ClieOS, do you mind if I pester you with a question? I have an OTG connection from my LG G3 running Neutron and the Micro. My question is, do applications such as Neutron do a digital conversion first anyway so really I'm simply using the Micro to reconvert what Neutron has done? I'm not sure that makes sense how I asked the question, hopefully it does. It might be that all I'm really using is the amp section in the Micro which would be somewhat of a shame as I believe the DAC implementation is the stronger of the two systems in the Micro. I'm not entirely sure how Neutron functions internally, but I believe it does all the DA conversion in software.

DAC chip only understands two kind of languages, either PCM (just about every DAC) or DSD (most of the higher end one). While DSD music is usually stored in its native format, PCM music is usually compressed into other more space-saving formats like MP3 or FLAC. So what the music apps do is to decode (decompress) those formats back to their native PCM format and sending the data to the DAC chip in the language it understands. What Neutron does is no difference from any other apps, except the decoder it used is higher in quality than what built into the Android system. But the story doesn't end there - as Android is originally built with very limited hardware capability, Google decided to use a pretty basic resampler audio driver to force all audio output to 16/44.1 (in order to make their job easier) and that process can degrades SQ noticeably. So early days Android doesn't have great SQ because of both poor decoder as well as the resampler. These days however, many manufacturer replace the decoder as well as the resampler with their own, higher quality counterparts, and therefore we have observed better SQ on Android overall. That's why Neutron tends to have more noticeable effect on older gears but not as much on newer gears, as many newer gears already have optimization in place and the decoder they used are good enough that Neutron doesn't show much advantage over. That being said, what Neutron doesn't do is the actual D-A conversion - that's the job for the DAC chip. Neutron does the pre-processing of the digital music into what the DAC can understand in order for the DAC chip to do the actual D-A conversion.

So one thing you might notice is that Neutron doesn't bypass or replace the resampler. It won't be a problem if the resampler itself is good in quality, but it can affect the SQ if it isn't. That is where native USB DAC support comes in - apps like USB Audio Player Pro, Onkyo HR Player or HibuMusic have their own USB DAC driver built in that allows direct communication between the apps and the DAC, skipping the resampler out and thus eliminating a potential problem of SQ degradation. Neutron actually has this function built-in as well, but it is very buggy and usually only works well with lower end, more basic DAC chips.

Many music apps like old poweramp doesn't actually have its decoder at all. They rely totally on what the Android system supplies. Then you have something like poweramp alpha that trying to do what Neutron has been doing by using their own internal decoder. But to really get the best out of the USB DAC, you really need an app that has native USB DAC driver support.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #5,822 of 9,047
@ClieOS thank you very much for the detailed explanation, and that confirms the little knowledge I had up to this point. So Neutron pre-stages the digital stream for the SoC processing, in my case the Snapdragon 801. So it might be worth me getting the Onkyo HF Player instead. Interesting and I think I will do so. For programs with USB DAC driver support do you have a preference, or as I suspect most will be very similar overall and just UI distinguishing them? Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #5,823 of 9,047
  @ClieOS thank you very much for the detailed explanation, and that confirms the little knowledge I had up to this point. So Neutron pre-stages the digital stream for the SoC processing, in my case the Snapdragon 801. So it might be worth me getting the Onkyo HF Player instead. Interesting and I think I will do so. For programs with USB DAC driver support do you have a preference, or as I suspect most will be very similar overall and just UI distinguishing them? Thanks again.

I have tried just about every music apps that have USB DAC support. My preference goes to UAPP because it is more customizable. HF Player does however offer an easier to use UI as well as a better EQ system, though I don't use EQ enough to bother. All of these apps are aiming on the audiophiles user so they all do a pretty good job. I don't really notice any noticeable SQ difference between them, but more of the difference in feature.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5,824 of 9,047
Just picked one up and loving it so far.

Is there a simple way to make it so it only plays through the RCA or headphone jack? It'd be a shame to have to disconnect the cables whenever I want headphones only... 
My last amp had a switch so I kind of assumed this'd have one also.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #5,825 of 9,047

Is there a simple way to make it so it only plays through the RCA or headphone jack? It'd be a shame to have to disconnect the cables whenever I want headphones only... 

Despite all the Micro's switches, none of them can disable any of the outputs (the digital in/out is auto sensing as well). I find its easiest to just unplug the headphone jack if needed when using multiple outputs. 

I have another amp (or sometimes powered speakers) connected to the RCAs and just turn the amp/speakers off when not in use. Are you using passive speakers (or a similar device) with the RCA out?

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #5,826 of 9,047
Well, it is certainly easier to use the Micro with Onkyo HF Player which I bought today. The second I launched HF Player with the Micro attached it asked right away to use this as the default USB device. I like that, no screwing around. I am sort of familiar with HF Player as it is similar to the stock player that I had with my DP-X1.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #5,827 of 9,047
Well, it is certainly easier to use the Micro with Onkyo HF Player which I bought today. The second I launched HF Player with the Micro attached it asked right away to use this as the default USB device. I like that, no screwing around. I am sort of familiar with HF Player as it is similar to the stock player that I had with my DP-X1.

Exactly, the hf player is recommended by IFI :D. How do you like it so far ?

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #5,828 of 9,047
Exactly, the hf player is recommended by IFI
biggrin.gif
. How do you like it so far ?

It is very nice, as I said, and as you know, it is similar to the stock player from the DP-X1 I think. I'm starting to think I might like a TH X00 with the Micro, or maybe an original D7000.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5,829 of 9,047
  Despite all the Micro's switches, none of them can disable any of the outputs (the digital in/out is auto sensing as well). I find its easiest to just unplug the headphone jack if needed when using multiple outputs. 

I have another amp (or sometimes powered speakers) connected to the RCAs and just turn the amp/speakers off when not in use. Are you using passive speakers (or a similar device) with the RCA out?

Powered, but their switches are far away at the back. Considered connecting their powers to a closer switch ...

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #5,830 of 9,047
It is very nice, as I said, and as you know, it is similar to the stock player from the DP-X1 I think. I'm starting to think I might like a TH X00 with the Micro, or maybe an original D7000.

I love my 900 with it, and I see no reason why those mentioned above wouldn't bring you the best sonical experiences :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5,831 of 9,047

If you have the micro iDSD permanently connected on the RCA, I'll suggest you get a RCA switch, which usually comes in the form of AV selector.

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #5,832 of 9,047
If running only the DAC section of the iDSD, does it matter if it's in battery or powered-USB mode?

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #5,833 of 9,047
If running only the DAC section of the iDSD, does it matter if it's in battery or powered-USB mode?

Doesn't matter as It can be run both ways.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #5,834 of 9,047

Doesn't matter as It can be run both ways.

Understand that, but there's been a few folks saying in this thread it'll sound better in USB-powered mode. I assume it's in reference to the amp section only, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back