iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,831 of 9,047
Today I was trying to dial in a new set of CIEMs ( Custom Art EI.xx. ) that have a super super bottom end bass sound signature....  

And while testing out the setup I was using the Iphone 6 plus with the Onkyo HD app...   plugged into the idsd micro... (latest FW 5.0A) 

What I noticed and can't recall ever seeing this before was that the Onkyo HD app could tell when it was delivering the music to the DSD DAC
of the idsd micro because it was converting redbook mucic files to 2X DSD output in realtime... and they sounded fantastic....  it surprised me at first and I confirmed 
it simply by unplugging the iphone from the idsd port and sure enough the Onkyo app flipped into PCM mode..  plug it back in and it flipped into DSD convert mode..

So now I'm getting some serious dynamic range coming from the Iphone 6 + > Onkyo HD App > idsd micro > Custom Art EI.xx,   (stock earphone cable)

The bottom end is just a little too bloated still.... I switch out the stock cable for the Linum Bax earphone cable....   holly molly.... the bottom end tightened up, the sound stage went to 3D
and I'm in hog heaven....  

wow...  this setup is just fantastic....   and its portable too...      :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,832 of 9,047
  Today I was trying to dial in a new set of CIEMs ( Custom Art EI.xx. ) that have a super super bottom end bass sound signature....  

And while testing out the setup I was using the Iphone 6 plus with the Onkyo HD app...   plugged into the idsd micro... (latest FW 5.0A) 

What I noticed and can't recall ever seeing this before was that the Onkyo HD app could tell when it was delivering the music to the DSD DAC
of the idsd micro because it was converting redbook mucic files to 2X DSD output in realtime... and they sounded fantastic....  it surprised me at first and I confirmed 
it simply by unplugging the iphone from the idsd port and sure enough the Onkyo app flipped into PCM mode..  plug it back in and it flipped into DSD convert mode..

So now I'm getting some serious dynamic range coming from the Iphone 6 + > Onkyo HD App > idsd micro > Custom Art EI.xx,   (stock earphone cable)

The bottom end is just a little too bloated still.... I switch out the stock cable for the Linum Bax earphone cable....   holly molly.... the bottom end tightened up, the sound stage went to 3D
and I'm in hog heaven....  

wow...  this setup is just fantastic....   and its portable too...      :)

SInce Onkyo HD App cannot add any information that is not in the original track, it is impossible to change the dynamic range. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #4,833 of 9,047
yes Walrus... you are correct....  I should have said the sound signature changed with the conversion...   sorry if I implied other wise...

Still makes redbook sound much much better...  at least to me it does..

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #4,835 of 9,047
My setup is currently an Audeze EL-8 + Oppo HA-2. The HA-2 is on Low Gain + Bass Boost (comfortable volume is around 2, max is 5).

I've had my eye on the iDSD Micro, but would I actually see any improvement vs the HA-2 (since I'm barely using half the volume on Low Gain as it is)?

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,836 of 9,047
Guys I have a question. I have this dac/amp for months and been using it in Normal Power mode and just recently I use the Turbo mode. When using normal power mode the device can play continuously without draining the battery. I use the usb input (plugged to my laptop before turning it on so it doesn't use the device own battery.) But when I switched to turbo mode after several hours of usage the red led blinks and the device turned off. Is this normal?

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #4,837 of 9,047
  Guys I have a question. I have this dac/amp for months and been using it in Normal Power mode and just recently I use the Turbo mode. When using normal power mode the device can play continuously without draining the battery. I use the usb input (plugged to my laptop before turning it on so it doesn't use the device own battery.) But when I switched to turbo mode after several hours of usage the red led blinks and the device turned off. Is this normal?

Perfectly normal.

If you want the whole detail, just search this thread as it has been discussed many times in this thread. The short version is - turbo mode eats up too much power that most USB port isn't able to supply in full, so battery power will be drew at the same time. To avoid this, use an USB hub that is BC1.2 compatible as it will supply enough power to micro iDSD to stop it from draining the battery even in turbo mode.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #4,838 of 9,047
Hey folks, I am thinking of upgrading my headphones and I can't decide if I am going to buy new headphones or active speakers to connect to my micro. My price range is between 500 and 1000 euros. Do you think that the micro would play well with active speakers? Or for that amount of money I would be getting far better resaults with a headphone rig?

In the end is the micro designed to play equally good with speakers and headphones?

Thanks for any help 
beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #4,839 of 9,047
I use mine for both. It's wonderful with the JBL LSR 305s & sublime for both the HD600's and T1.

I haven't really listened to my NFB-12 or LD MKIV since I got it.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4,840 of 9,047
  Hey folks, I am thinking of upgrading my headphones and I can't decide if I am going to buy new headphones or active speakers to connect to my micro. My price range is between 500 and 1000 euros. Do you think that the micro would play well with active speakers? Or for that amount of money I would be getting far better resaults with a headphone rig?

In the end is the micro designed to play equally good with speakers and headphones?

Thanks for any help 
beerchug.gif

Hi Max - for the 500 to 1000 euros I would go for the iTube. I found it to be a significant upgrade to the iDSD micro preamp (assuming you are using the iDSD preamp for the headphones).

Re. Dixter post above about DSD upsampled redbook - I have heard that 'improvement' in sound with the DSD upsample with my iDSD NANO. I didnt hear it with the Micro. If anything it sounded noticeably more restricted and unnatural vs. the native redbook. Interesting observation though. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #4,841 of 9,047

Thanks for any help 
beerchug.gif

If you are going to use active speakers, I'd buy a decently priced 2.0, analog power amp and use Micro's line-out. 
Micro is a headphone amp and is not designed to power active speakers. All you need is something like this: 
http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-200W-2-0-Ch-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00N6DZYXQ
(Don't let the low price discourage you.) If you want active speakers, go for it. Your price range isn't the limiting factor. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,842 of 9,047
  If you are going to use active speakers, I'd buy a decently priced 2.0, analog power amp and use Micro's line-out. 
Micro is a headphone amp and is not designed to power active speakers. All you need is something like this: 
http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-200W-2-0-Ch-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00N6DZYXQ
(Don't let the low price discourage you.) If you want active speakers, go for it. Your price range isn't the limiting factor. 

Actually I would suggest the micro iDAC2 instead, it is going to be used as non-portable source. The DAC section of micro iDAC2 and micro iDSD are very similar and so there won't be any lost of features and SQ.

Also, @Maxpain is referring to 'active' speaker - so it is self-powered and doesn't require an extra speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back