iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #4,696 of 9,047
  Thanks.
I should have mentioned that I'm not using the Micro for headphone use but using it as the preamp for my home stereo; feeding the Micro's RCA output to my stereo amp.  I don't think the IEMatch control affects the RCA output - sorry should have been clearer.

Looks like the equipment attach to the micro has a very sensitive or low max input voltage. The fixed level is 2v and the variable is 2v to 5v. You could use RCA Line Level Attenuators. You are not using the microphone inputs?

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #4,697 of 9,047
Thanks.
I should have mentioned that I'm not using the Micro for headphone use but using it as the preamp for my home stereo; feeding the Micro's RCA output to my stereo amp.  I don't think the IEMatch control affects the RCA output - sorry should have been clearer.

No indeed it doesn't affect the RCA outputs.

By stereo amp do you mean power amp (i.e. lacking its own volume control)?

The iDSD puts out the same output as any pre-amp would. Perhaps your stereo amp is just too powerful for your needs.

One relatively cheap answer is to get a set of RCA attenuators (Rothwell, Goldenjacks...) and stick them on the input to your stereo amp.

Edit: that would be preferable to engaging software volume control. The latter will change the data sent to the DAC so it is no longer bit-perfect. I don't know what type of volume control method is used in the Moode. Some are better than others but in general it's best avoided.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #4,698 of 9,047
  Thanks.

Assuming you have an Integrated Amp (with volume knob) and you don't want to use a software volume control (not recommended), you can try two settings with Micro iDSD

a) Set the Output switch (switch underneath labeled as Output) to "Direct" and control the volume from your Amp, or

b) Set the Output switch to "Pre-Amp" and control the volume from Micro iDSD and Amp volume combination. Not ideal but, I would imagine, better than software control.

Hope this helps

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,699 of 9,047
Yes, it's a power amp and I'm using the volume control on the Micro (Micro is set to preamp).  Thanks for the suggestion re the RCA attenuators - I'll look into that.
I'll also ask Tim Curtis about using the Software volume control on Moode and how it affects the digital signal.

Quote:
No indeed it doesn't affect the RCA outputs.

By stereo amp do you mean power amp (i.e. lacking its own volume control)?

The iDSD puts out the same output as any pre-amp would. Perhaps your stereo amp is just too powerful for your needs.

One relatively cheap answer is to get a set of RCA attenuators (Rothwell, Goldenjacks...) and stick them on the input to your stereo amp.

Edit: that would be preferable to engaging software volume control. The latter will change the data sent to the DAC so it is no longer bit-perfect. I don't know what type of volume control method is used in the Moode. Some are better than others but in general it's best avoided.

Assuming you have an Integrated Amp (with volume knob) and you don't want to use a software volume control (not recommended), you can try two settings with Micro iDSD

a) Set the Output switch (switch underneath labeled as Output) to "Direct" and control the volume from your Amp, or

b) Set the Output switch to "Pre-Amp" and control the volume from Micro iDSD and Amp volume combination. Not ideal but, I would imagine, better than software control.

Hope this helps

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #4,700 of 9,047

You may be inadvertently using high gain (9dB gain). I've tested the micro iDSD as a preamp and its gain is normal for speakers. Turn off the micro iDSD, put the switches to Eco and Preamp, then turn it on.

Where the switch is before you turn on the unit governs.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #4,701 of 9,047
I did indeed read the article, and would say that it qualifies as a nicely run case study, nothing more. Could I draw conclusions from that work, and apply those conclusions to other cases with different listeners and equipment (i.e. headphones as opposed to loudspeakers)???

As an example, Axiom did their tests through their own loudspeakers. Each loudspeaker driver cone will break up into vibrational resonance frequencies depending on the design and materials of the driver. Did these driver resonances influence or mask the distortion introduced for the subjects to identify?

Did Axiom measure this resonance behaviour in their work to confirm it didn't influence the test? Doubt it.

Nothing Voodoo, just that conclusions from these type of simple comparisons are incomplete because the entire picture is not considered.

Again, that was a study to measure the level of distortion a set of listeners could hear from the signal.
The conditions were all the same for all the listeners.
If driver resonance would have increased the distortion, on top of the artificial one added to the signal, that would have decreased, not increased, the tolerance to distortion.
Unless of course, you are saying that those were somehow magic speakers, which were able to somehow remove distortion from the signal.
If yes, I think I am going to ask Axiom a sample, because we are onto something :D

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,702 of 9,047

I did indeed read the article, and would say that it qualifies as a nicely run case study, nothing more. Could I draw conclusions from that work, and apply those conclusions to other cases with different listeners and equipment (i.e. headphones as opposed to loudspeakers)???

As an example, Axiom did their tests through their own loudspeakers. Each loudspeaker driver cone will break up into vibrational resonance frequencies depending on the design and materials of the driver. Did these driver resonances influence or mask the distortion introduced for the subjects to identify?

Did Axiom measure this resonance behaviour in their work to confirm it didn't influence the test? Doubt it.

Nothing Voodoo, just that conclusions from these type of simple comparisons are incomplete because the entire picture is not considered.

Again, that was a study to measure the level of distortion a set of listeners could hear from the signal.
The conditions were all the same for all the listeners.
If driver resonance would have increased the distortion, on top of the artificial one added to the signal, that would have decreased, not increased, the tolerance to distortion.
Unless of course, you are saying that those were somehow magic speakers, which were able to somehow remove distortion from the signal.
If yes, I think I am going to ask Axiom a sample, because we are onto something
biggrin.gif

Or the driver resonance masked the distortion that listeners were supposed to be hearing and assessing...

If Axion didn't confirm this was the case, how believable is the study? Are the conclusions then useful, especially to other setups? What does it say about their level of technical proficiency that they didn't address this?

How then can we relate this to the original comments iFi made regarding distortion??? As I proposed earlier, a nice little study, but incomplete.

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #4,703 of 9,047
Which firmware has the best SQ ?
Did someone compare the different firmwareversions?

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #4,704 of 9,047
Which firmware has the best SQ ?
Did someone compare the different firmwareversions?

Absolutely no change for me.

Cheers,
K

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,707 of 9,047

The Bassheads have landed
biggrin.gif

Hide your women and children and smallish prone to distortion drivers
wink.gif

LMAO!  In your opinion, as a bass-lover, how good is the bass-boost on the iDSD?

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4,709 of 9,047

The Bassheads have landed
biggrin.gif

Hide your women and children and smallish prone to distortion drivers
wink.gif

WOOOOOO!!!  We invading and taking over

@goodyfresh The bass boost on the idsd is real subtle.  The bass boost on the ican is much better but it also has one more setting than the idsd.  But you know how we do it with eq 
biggrin.gif

WOOOOO!!!! Bassheads unite!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back