iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,321 of 9,047
  >  When turned on while connected to a power source, it does never go in sleep mode:

Does it still maintain the battery to 80% charge in all 3 modes (eco, normal, turbo)?

- Yes, the 80% battery charge is applied whenever the unit is turned on while attached to a power source. It takes no account if music is playing of not.
The key change on 4.10 for power management is to disable the "sleep mode" and "sleep mode charging", as this has been causing issues with modern smartphones/tablets.

Thanks a lot for this clarification, maybe a clear answer to this one could help to even better understand the 4.10 power management:
when run on battery (turned on with no power source connected) and then connected to a power source, will it charge the battery continuously and (try to) maintain the 80% charge?

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #4,322 of 9,047

I updated to FW v4.10 and now it does what I want it to when connected to my Note 3 (4.4.2) and without using the OTG Lock app. When connected in battery mode, the micro does not go into sleep (LED always on) and does not go into charging mode. The FW update also fixed the problem I was having with garbled transmission after pausing the music for more than a few seconds. I can now pause seemingly indefinitely and resume playback without any issues. Thanks, iFi!

@gr8soundz I don't think you're going to be able to get the micro NOT to charge when connected to your phone and turned off, regardless of the FW. If the micro is off, it's going to charge if it senses USB current. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Glad to hear the new firmware worked for you.

You're correct about the charging when off. Unless the next firmware gives an option to turn it off, (according to iFi) the Micro will charge via ANY usb connection if it detects a constant 100mAh or higher.

So, leaving it on in battery mode seems best for now but I have no idea how long the battery will last like that.

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,323 of 9,047
Can I use this with a Sansa Clip mp3 player?

I attached the usb cable to the Sansa & the Micro iDSD & the Sanas won't play music. It just pauses all songs, like it is in charge mode.

Also will I need to download software to my PC to be able to use this?

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4,324 of 9,047
  Can I use this with a Sansa Clip mp3 player?

I attached the usb cable to the Sansa & the Micro iDSD & the Sanas won't play music. It just pauses all songs, like it is in charge mode.

Also will I need to download software to my PC to be able to use this?

Nothing you can do to Sansa Clip that will magically makes it has the USB DAC host ability.

iDSD's PC driver is available at iFi website.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #4,325 of 9,047

Nothing you can do to Sansa Clip that will magically makes it has the USB DAC host ability.

How about getting it to work with an android phone?
Will it work?

I plugged in the usb cable to my phone & then to the side of the iDSD.
Music did not play through the headphones & instead through the phone.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #4,326 of 9,047

Will it work?

The side port of the iDSD is for charging a phone and only works when the iDSD is off.

You need a phone that does USB OTG. Then you need an OTG cable which you plug into the back of the iDSD.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,327 of 9,047

Will it work?

The side port of the iDSD is for charging a phone and only works when the iDSD is off.

You need a phone that does USB OTG. Then you need an OTG cable which you plug into the back of the iDSD.

Really enjoyed @ClieOS's tasteful snark, and full appreciation for @technobear's patient and professional reply.

@Thenewguy007 you might want to take a look the micro iDSD manual, downloadable from here: http://ifi-audio.com/user-manual/
While iFi's documentation leaves a lot to be desired, the information you're looking for is here in this thread and/or in the Android phones and USB DACs thread, (assuming you have an Android phone; iOS devices are guaranteed to work AFAIK).

You may really be a "new guy", and therefore unaware of how finicky USB audio on Android phones can be. Since there's no standard for USB audio implementation on Android devices (one of the few advantages of the crApple ecosystem IMO), every manufacturer can decide if and how they want to support it. So to get an answer to your question, you need to specify which phone and which Android version you're running. The answer will vary:

1. "No", your phone doesn't have USB host capability
  2. "Yes, but only with certain apps (e.g. UAPP and Hiby)"
  3. "Yes, all audio from your phone will be directed to the DAC

The Android/DACs thread has amazingly useful information for Android phones, most of it posted by @DanBa. Every now and then he posts a summary of useful links. By searching within the thread for "list of standard USB DAC" and posts by user "DanBa", one can find them:
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?advanced=1&byuser=DanBa&containingthread%5B0%5D=595071&newer=1&output=posts&resultSortingPreference=recency&sdate=0&search=+list+of+standard+USB+DAC+&type=all

You can also search within that thread for info specific to your Android device. For example, when I wanted to know if my Note 3 is compatible with the micro iDSD, I searched in the Android/DACs thread for "note 3 micro idsd compatible" and found this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6405#post_11394072

To get the most out of your micro iDSD connected to your Android device, check out this post.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/1230#post_10977665

In summary, a little searching and homework on your part before throwing a question up will get you a lot closer to your goal. By showing that you've made an effort, others will be more willing to go the extra mile to help you out 
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #4,328 of 9,047

Will it work?

Full explanation has been provided above, so I am just going to add that - getting an Android smartphone with native USB DAC support will save you a lot of headache. For me, that means Xperia Z3+ (and Z2 before that). But I heard Moto and LG will work as well.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #4,329 of 9,047
can anyone explain to me why when you use a ZX2 to imicro via nwh10 cable vs fiio LOD 5 ZX2 to the imicro the output is way louded with the otg vs 3.5mm input? I'm using LCD3F.  with the LOD5 i use turbo plus iem high with the nwh10 cable I use turbo plus iem ultra. Honestly, using nwh10 with iem match ultra on turbo mode I cant get past 10 oclock with the LCD3F.  I am just confused bc both ways I am using the imicro amp but the cables let me use the different dac's.  

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #4,330 of 9,047
can anyone explain to me why when you use a ZX2 to imicro via nwh10 cable vs fiio LOD 5 ZX2 to the imicro the output is way louded with the otg vs 3.5mm input? I'm using LCD3F.  with the LOD5 i use turbo plus iem high with the nwh10 cable I use turbo plus iem ultra. Honestly, using nwh10 with iem match ultra on turbo mode I cant get past 10 oclock with the LCD3F.  I am just confused bc both ways I am using the imicro amp but the cables let me use the different dac's.  

If you need to turn on IEMatch then you shouldn't be using Turbo mode.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #4,331 of 9,047

If you need to turn on IEMatch then you shouldn't be using Turbo mode.

Aside from the Turbo mode issue, you're comparing apples vs. oranges. OTG input is to the micro's DAC and then its amp. The 3.5mm input is Line In and bypassing the micro's DAC. I'm not familiar with your sources, but IMO, there's no way to guarantee that you'll get the same line level to the micro's amp section from these 2 types of inputs. So it's not surprising that one is louder than the other. I would guess that your FiiO LOD output is at a much lower level than the output of the micro's own DAC to its amp section.

LCD-3s are not un-sensitive phones if you understand what I mean. With my ZMF Blackwoods (same T50RP drivers as the Alpha Primes), I usually run Normal/High-Sensitivity or Eco/Off, and get to between 12-2 o'clock. No way you need Turbo (unless you prefer the sound that way).

LCD-3

Alpha Prime
Manufacturer:AudezeMrSpeakers
Impedance:110 Ω50 Ω
Efficiency:102.0 dB SPL/mW90.0 dB SPL/mW

http://www.audiobot9000.com/compare/headphones/lcd-3,alpha-prime

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #4,332 of 9,047
Guys i just got my HD 650s 2 days back & I am really impressed. This is my first over ear headphones coming from IEMs klipsh S4, IE 8 & IE 80s & shure s215.

My current set up is Samsung Note 4 USB digital input to IFI IDSD micro with source files ranging from DSD 5.6mhz files to 320 kbps mp3s heaphones HD 650s.

Currently, this setup sounds amazing to me. If somebody else has tried this setup (HD 650s with IFI IDSD micro) & other setups as well, would be really interested to know your comments

Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4,333 of 9,047
  Guys i just got my HD 650s 2 days back & I am really impressed. This is my first over ear headphones coming from IEMs klipsh S4, IE 8 & IE 80s & shure s215.

My current set up is Samsung Note 4 USB digital input to IFI IDSD micro with source files ranging from DSD 5.6mhz files to 320 kbps mp3s heaphones HD 650s.

Currently, this setup sounds amazing to me. If somebody else has tried this setup (HD 650s with IFI IDSD micro) & other setups as well, would be really interested to know your comments

Thanks

Yep, I have this setup as well. And it really sounds amazing. Very, very close to the best combo I have heard so far which is: Bottlehead Crack with Speedball & HD650. But by all means: the iDSD micro pairs extremely well with the HD650 it's very enjoyable and I think I this would be a setup you can be happy with for many years to come.

Cheers,
K

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #4,334 of 9,047
I finally have the time to try this out on my desktop & I downloaded all the drivers & latest firmware.
There is a loud static noise I hear when ever I turn the volume up, even when there is no sound. With music playing, I can still hear the noise in the background.

I'm using a USB extender to connect to my PC from the back of the iDSD.

I'm also using RCA cables at the back with a RCA to 3.5mm converter jack to plug into my PC audio jack.

Is this the fault of the USB cables, RCA cables, 3.5mm converter? My PC?
I don't have an alternatives to use to see if they are at fault.

EDIT:
I took off the USB extender that was plugged int to the back of the iDSD & it got rid of the background noise, BUT without it, the music plays at a tiny level,  even with everything set at max.

Is there a cable you guys can recommend that doesn't involve any extra noise?

Like I have no optical cable for the iDSD, if I bought one, how would I connect it to my PC?

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,335 of 9,047
I'm also using RCA cables at the back with a RCA to 3.5mm converter jack to plug into my PC audio jack.

Say what???

The RCAs on the back of the iDSD are outputs. Why would you connect those to your PC?

I took off the USB extender that was plugged in to the back of the iDSD & it got rid of the background noise, BUT without it, the music plays at a tiny level, even with everything set at max.

Is there a cable you guys can recommend that doesn't involve any extra noise?

You can use USB up to 5 metres but only if you buy a good USB cable. I've had good results with a 5m Kimber USB.

The quiet sound is heard from where? From headphones? Turn off IEMatch.

Like I have no optical cable for the iDSD, if I bought one, how would I connect it to my PC?

There's no reason to use optical if you don't have to. Your PC would need to feature an optical output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back