iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #4,158 of 9,047
Might wanna be careful with the bottom Direct / Preamp switch. Think iFi instructs to turn the Micro off when changing that one.

They definitely suggest it when playing with the gain.

Do turn it right down (or off) when doing this. I've noticed that on some occasions if you're playing with the IEMatch or Power Mode switches and you don't get the switch to land perfectly on that setting, it will output at the max setting (Turbo/Off). So you have to be careful with this if you dont tuen it down as it seriously loud. Not to mention tou could accidentally push it too far. Best to turn it down or off and avoid it completely.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,159 of 9,047
So I just bought this 2 days ago and I still haven't been able to get this thing to work.
It doesn't get recognized in my MBPr mid-2012 (it doesn't even show up as an output option), the LED is white.

With my windows 7 pc I have no clue whatsoever. 
At first I tried to install the latest driver but the installer didn't detect the device.
I kept it plugged in and rebooted and then the installer worked, but after installation the device still wasn't detected.
So I rebooted again and finally the little ifi pop-up window detected the device and so did windows BUT:
- Winamp and VLC would crash when I tried to play something
- The windows "test sound" also gave an error while trying to play.

Since then I've reboot about 15 times.
I deinstalled the latest driver and installed the 2.20 without luck. I tried using USB3.0 ports at the back and front of the PC and USB2.0 ports at the back. 

The only think so far that has worked is the 3.5mm front jack.

Really, really disappointed with this thing. I'm probably returning it next week and never touching ifi again.

EDIT:

For anyone who cares. Right now I don't have any driver installed and I'm unable to install one because it says that the device is not plugged in. The device shows a green LED when plugged in to my computer.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #4,160 of 9,047
Sorry - but I'm going to be "captain obvious" in reply ^^^

Mine worked OOTB - after installing drivers

Further - spending about 5 minutes with Foobar's instructions has me up scaling to DSD quality with no issues (I used Schiit Audio's how-to)

Couldn't be simpler. @nopc0de - hopefully not PEBKAC related. If you want help, I'll be back home in another week if you want to try and solve via PM

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #4,161 of 9,047
  So I just bought this 2 days ago and I still haven't been able to get this thing to work.
It doesn't get recognized in my MBPr mid-2012 (it doesn't even show up as an output option), the LED is white.

With my windows 7 pc I have no clue whatsoever. 
At first I tried to install the latest driver but the installer didn't detect the device.
I kept it plugged in and rebooted and then the installer worked, but after installation the device still wasn't detected.
So I rebooted again and finally the little ifi pop-up window detected the device and so did windows BUT:
- Winamp and VLC would crash when I tried to play something
- The windows "test sound" also gave an error while trying to play.

Since then I've reboot about 15 times.
I deinstalled the latest driver and installed the 2.20 without luck. I tried using USB3.0 ports at the back and front of the PC and USB2.0 ports at the back. 

The only think so far that has worked is the 3.5mm front jack.

Really, really disappointed with this thing. I'm probably returning it next week and never touching ifi again.

EDIT:

For anyone who cares. Right now I don't have any driver installed and I'm unable to install one because it says that the device is not plugged in. The device shows a green LED when plugged in to my computer.

Not sure what your Micro is doing but I'd try these things on the PC (if you haven't done so already):

1. Disable ALL other audio devices on you PC (in BIOS and Windows) and restart.

2. Try a different usb cable and make sure its pushed all the way in on the Micro.

3. Don't connect the Micro until the driver install prompts you to (or after it again says not detected).

4. If the Micro driver installs successfully but the audio still skips (this happened to me), click the icon in the lower right corner to open the iFi settings and change the usb modes to Extra Safe and 8192 (max) samples.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #4,162 of 9,047

Not sure what your Micro is doing but I'd try these things on the PC (if you haven't done so already):

1. Disable ALL other audio devices on you PC (in BIOS and Windows) and restart.

2. Try a different usb cable and make sure its pushed all the way in on the Micro.

3. Don't connect the Micro until the driver install prompts you to (or after it again says not detected).

4. If the Micro driver installs successfully but the audio still skips (this happened to me), click the icon in the lower right corner to open the iFi settings and change the usb modes to Extra Safe and 8192 (max) samples.

Hope this helps.

I managed to get to step 4 but when the audio skipped I rebooted and now its remaining undetected again.

EDIT: Did the entire loop again (Deinstall, Reboot, Install, Reboot, Replug, Reboot, Change BIOS settings*, boot)

* XHCI Mode and XHCI Hand-off is now switched to off.
Should I disable my audio controller? But then I can't use my mic anymore...

And then again for a few seconds windows recognizes the device but when I play it doesn't work and when I went tot the ifi panel it disconnected.

Right now re-plugging the device does nothing. (It does draw power though)

I would consider upgrading my windows pc to windows 8 (or re-install windows7) if it the device worked on my macbook, but it doesn't work there either.

EDIT:
I removed all USB Devices following this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html
The difference is that I now get this at the end of driver installation: https://i.imgur.com/CpMA2sr.png 

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,163 of 9,047

Did you charge the iDSD for 24 hours first before switching it on?

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #4,165 of 9,047
Did you charge the iDSD for 24 hours first before switching it on?

Yes i did.
The battery is fine (i think) since it works with 3.5mm input while powered from battery.

Im currently reinstalling windows

A dodgy cable is definitely a possibility. A few of the blue cables have had a slightly loose fit.

Can you try a different USB cable using the supplied adaptor?

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,167 of 9,047

I managed to get to step 4 but when the audio skipped I rebooted and now its remaining undetected again.

EDIT: Did the entire loop again (Deinstall, Reboot, Install, Reboot, Replug, Reboot, Change BIOS settings*, boot)

* XHCI Mode and XHCI Hand-off is now switched to off.
Should I disable my audio controller? But then I can't use my mic anymore...

And then again for a few seconds windows recognizes the device but when I play it doesn't work and when I went tot the ifi panel it disconnected.

Right now re-plugging the device does nothing. (It does draw power though)

I would consider upgrading my windows pc to windows 8 (or re-install windows7) if it the device worked on my macbook, but it doesn't work there either.

EDIT:
I removed all USB Devices following this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html
The difference is that I now get this at the end of driver installation: https://i.imgur.com/CpMA2sr.png 

The XHCI settings didn't make a difference to my install. Mine wouldn't install at first because the Micro driver requires that Windows Security must be ON to complete installation!

If you try another usb cable (doesn't have to be 3.0) and both the PC and Mac still don't recognize the Micro it may have a defect (you'll need to open a ticket with iFi). I had to open a ticket because of the driver but my Micro is now my most reliable usb DAC (I've had worse issues with 2 others since).

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #4,168 of 9,047
Using a different cable with the supplied adapter makes it show up in osx but only delivers silence or crackling noise.

I installed windows8 and the device showed up once after driver install (no sound) tried to replug but now im back to getting nothing at all but a white LED

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,169 of 9,047
Has anyone else had this issue: the IEMatch switch is constantly moving from "Off" to "High Sensitivity" whenever I move the unit. The switch doesn't seem loose but it is fairly easy to move it without much effort. This obviously degrades the sound if you're listening to traditional, relatively inefficient headphones. Please let me know if you do. As a precaution, if you feel like your unit is sounding lifeless with your headphones, check that switch. Otherwise, the iFi Micro iDSD ROCKS!

J.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #4,170 of 9,047
Has anyone else had this issue: the IEMatch switch is constantly moving from "Off" to "High Sensitivity" whenever I move the unit. The switch doesn't seem loose but it is fairly easy to move it without much effort. This obviously degrades the sound if you're listening to traditional, relatively inefficient headphones. Please let me know if you do. As a precaution, if you feel like your unit is sounding lifeless with your headphones, check that switch. Otherwise, the iFi Micro iDSD ROCKS!

J.

Have you used the rubber feet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back