iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 16, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3,706 of 9,047
  This is my underestanding also ClieOS...  Maybe I am just lucky that my USB port is able to supply enough chrging curent to prevent the battery from dischrging completely throughout the day.  I do notice the next morning that it sometimes will still be in charge mode from the previous days listening session. 

But like I said, never had it shut off from a complete discharge before having finised using it all day.

May 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #3,707 of 9,047
No, what I have said applies when you turn the micro iDSD after connecting it to USB port (a.k.a. USB charging mode / USB power mode). If you turn the micro iDSD on before connection, it will run in battery mode and will not charge before the battery is fully depleted (*then it shuts itself down, recharge to a safe level before allowed to be turned back on). However with one exception:

Now what I haven't mentioned clearly in my previous comment is sleep mode - in USB power mode, micro iDSD will automatically go into sleep mode if there is no signal for 15 minutes (or in 3 minutes in battery mode), allowing it to lower its power consumption and therefore allows for battery recharging, but at a very slow pace. That is the reason why you didn't see battery runs flat all the time, as it goes into sleep mode and recharge itself, regardless what gain mode you are in, as long as you leave your iDSD alone for long enough time. But if you are using it all the time, then it will still drain the battery.

Thanks ClieOS. All along I thought the micro iDSD gets power directly from the USB port if plugged first before turning it on.

May 16, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #3,708 of 9,047
Manual says "USB Power" if you connect to computer first and then turn on the volume knob. "Battery Power" if you turn on volume knob first before connecting to computer. No?

May 16, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #3,709 of 9,047
  I'm currently using the iDSD with a Gustard H10 and it's working very well.

Noted, thanks for your feedback.

I run my iDSD micro into my SPL Auditor Headphone amp, which is a pro audio design for mastering.

In fact, I just recently was asked to bring my SPL Auditor out to a recording session, where we listened, first, to some mixes with HD800s just coming out of a Berringer mixing board. It sounded good! When we then hooked up the SPL Auditor out of the board, listening through the same cans, you could now here how narrow the stereo mix was, when they had spent a lot of time with stereo placement. We took it a step further and hooked up the iDSD micro to the whole rig, with the Auditor, and now you could hear every little digital glitch, or imperfect edit done in the digital domain. The tracks were really put under a microscope to where quite a few thing needed to be cleaned up, including regaining some dynamic range, which was lost only by mixing with through monitors.

In short, my home rig told the truth...and by referencing some choice tracks, they were able to get what they had wanted...and more!

Interesting, thanks for sharing. iFi iDSD micro has received many positive reviews. Their upcoming iDSD Pro is one that I am looking forward to as well. It can be used single-ended or balanced, something that I am looking for to use with Liquid Carbon. So exciting.

May 16, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #3,710 of 9,047
Manual says "USB Power" if you connect to computer first and then turn on the volume knob. "Battery Power" if you turn on volume knob first before connecting to computer. No?

It is, but we are not talking about whether it is USB power or battery mode, but how micro iDSD drain or charge its battery in both modes.

May 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,711 of 9,047
It is, but we are not talking about whether it is USB power or battery mode, but how micro iDSD drain or charge its battery in both modes.

If on USB Power mode, why would the micro iDSD drain its battery? It's not 100% getting power from USB?

May 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,712 of 9,047
If on USB Power mode, why would the micro iDSD drain its battery? It's not 100% getting power from USB?

Yes, not all USB port outputs enough current to both power and charge the micro iDSD at the same time. Therefore you will need a high power USB port to make sure there will always be enough. Otherwise just either turn it off or leave it to go to sleep mode for long enough time to make sure it will recharge itself back.

May 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #3,714 of 9,047
Let me see if I can correctly summarize, with questions:

Case 1:

-- Start with unit unplugged from USB and with volume turned off (unit turned off).

-- Plug into USB.

-- Turn on unit.

-- Unit will draw power from USB.

-- If using USB port with sufficient power, battery will charge.

-- If not using USB port with sufficient power, unit will operate but battery will not charge.

Case 2:

-- Start with unit unplugged from USB and turned off.

-- Turn on unit.

-- Now it is running from battery (assuming battery is charged, else it is a brick until it charges).

-- Plug into USB.

-- If using USB port with sufficient power, battery will charge. <<< IS THIS TRUE IN THIS CASE?

-- If not using USB port with sufficient power, unit will operated but battery will not charge. <<< IS THIS TRUE, OR MOOT, IN THIS CASE?

Case 3:

-- Start with unit unplugged from USB and turned off.

-- Plug into USB (and do not turn on).

-- Battery will charge. <<< IS THIS TRUE?

I have no use for the battery, and only want it to stay charged so the unit doesn't brick on me until recharged, which was how I started this entire thread (it bricked).

I think in order to do that, I just need to:

-- Make sure it's turned off when not plugged in.

-- Plug it into USB and then turn it on, which will make it run from USB and make it charge the battery.

Is that correct?

By the way, what does a white light mean? I've seen blue and green, but today it is white.

May 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3,715 of 9,047
Case 1  : global answer is YES
but:
-- Unit will draw power from USB.  --> yes but could also dig in the battery if needed (if NORMAL or TURBO mode is used, and also depending on the BC1.2 compatibility of the USB port)

Case 2:

-- If using USB port with sufficient power, battery will charge. <<< IS THIS TRUE IN THIS CASE?  
-- If not using USB port with sufficient power, unit will operated but battery will not charge. <<< IS THIS TRUE, OR MOOT, IN THIS CASE?

iFi Quote:
"In battery mode the iDSD micro will charge while in sleep mode if it is attached to a "strong" power source (PC), it will indicate this as well (LED goes blue). Otherwise during play no current is drawn from USB."

Case 3:  YUP :)

All the answers are here and there

You could also use it in battery mode, and let it plugged in for some time after each session (with all media players stopped or mapped to another DAC/soundcard... so that it can go in sleep mode and charge the battery)

White light means that there's no communication through USB/coax/optical (don't remember how it lits up when using analog in)

May 17, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3,716 of 9,047
If you don't want to worry about the battery, I recommend the iUSB power it pairs perfectly with the Micro I can attest to no issues what so ever.  I also have the mercury and gemini cables for the CPU to iUSB and Gemini to Micro.  I just added the HDPlex Fanless linear power supply for CPU and iUSB which adds another level of clarity.  I cannot believe how low the noise floor is on this combo.
beyersmile.png

May 17, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #3,717 of 9,047
I went for the UpTone Audio USB REGEN instead for the iUSB. I expect it to arrive in late June. Just an alternative to the ifi iUSB which takes it a bit further with the separation of audio and power with the Gemini cable.

I just tapatalked!

May 17, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,718 of 9,047
I went for the UpTone Audio USB REGEN instead for the iUSB. I expect it to arrive in late June. Just an alternative to the ifi iUSB which takes it a bit further with the separation of audio and power with the Gemini cable.

Packet noise theory behind this seems sound, they got me quite interested. (it's a different approach than the iUSB, as it regenerates the data flow)
I got to dig a bit more before ordering though...

May 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #3,719 of 9,047
Use the highest setting it gives the most details. Why cause we lose bits I digital volume controls. Now is it's a step resistor then it does not matter. As for in abc that's a shame mine does not do this. On any of digital products I use the highest settings for most full sound.
It's the same on my hdpr10 by hibino. Digital attenuation is a bad thing sometimes. Let's all try a end report back. But to make it fair it must tried a higher volume meaning loud enough to pickup the improvement. And no. I don't always listen this way. But I do to evail stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back