iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 29, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3,601 of 9,047
Licking the Lollipop

We have Android 5 (Lollipop) tested using the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet, the results are as follows:

1) Sony Walkman - there are no longer settings for external DACs, the DAC (tested using iDSD nano with latest beta code). All audio is up-sampled to quad speed (176.4/192kHz), so never Bit-Perfect. Android Volume control sets DAC Volume.

2) Spotify - plays audio also as Quad Speed upsampled (this may be Sony specific). Android Volume control sets DAC Volume.

3) USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP), took two restarts before it could grab the DAC, after that works normally, bitperfect the Android Volume control does not change levels.

So UAPP remains recommended for HD/HiRez and high quality playback. 

For other audio player apps etc. the Android volume control should be set to maximum to avoid "loosing bits". 

We hope you found this useful.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 29, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,602 of 9,047
No they are not. Your pc is set up incorrectly.

Did you change the iFi driver settings? Use 'Safe' for the USB Streaming Mode and at least 2048 for the ASIO Buffer Size.

There will also likely be buffer settings in your player software. You don't say what you are using. Increase the buffer size.

Yup.  Safe.  Using 4096 for the buffer.

What else is there to set up?

Windows Sound System using "2- iFi (by AMR) HD + USB Audio".

JRMC19 using "iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio [ASIO]", Device Settings: 500 ms buffering, DSD bitstream in DoP format, DSP Studio: "DSD in DoP format (requites DSD capable DAC)".

Bug Head Emperor using Infinity Blade SQ, ASIO-1 = iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio,
Option 1:
1. Correct clear sound [Memory optimize]
2. Memory envalid [add 7 sec before playing]
3. Set PCM792A mode [force LPF Free]
5. Auto phase adjust: OFF
6. z Tune [Memory optimize]
7. 1:4GB/2:4GB/3:4GB/4:4GB
8. Double-sided mounting memory
9. Shape clear sound [Sharp sound]
10. Rewrite wallpaper [More clear]

Option 2:
1. Normal only [Normal]

Sounds like a USB driver issue on PC.

Have you installed and are using the USB drivers from ifi? You need to. Leave on default settings. Also note on your PC, some USB ports will work better than others.

Yeah, I downloaded and installed the latest drivers.  Also checked to see if the firmware is the latest: 4.06.  I've tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  Maybe I should bypass the Schiit Wyrd.

Thx again.

-H

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,603 of 9,047
.. 3) USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP), took two restarts before it could grab the DAC, after that works normally, bitperfect the Android Volume control does not change levels.

I have the same problem with Onkyo HD player as well. I believe the key is to wipe / reset all the setting first, then they seems to work fine later.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,605 of 9,047
JRMC19 using "iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio [ASIO]", Device Settings: 500 ms buffering, DSD bitstream in DoP format, DSP Studio: "DSD in DoP format (requites DSD capable DAC)".

Try increasing that buffer to 5 seconds (i.e. 5000, not 500).

Does it crackle on all audio formats or only high-res?

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,606 of 9,047

Eco mode, can charge battery from normal USB port at a rate of maybe 100mA, so around 48 Hours needed of Charge & Play to bring a flat battery back. Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Normal mode, no charging current available, audio peaks may eat into the battery so it may eventually go flat. Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Turbo Mode, battery is always drawn on, it is depleted at a rate of around 350mA without signal, more with. So the battery will be depleted in around 12-15 Hours of playback or less if playing loud.  Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Recommended workaround, purchase a Hub which is BC1.2 Battery charging compatible, it will allow charging even in turbo mode.

Great post. Very informative. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #3,607 of 9,047

Why are you using the DOP option for DSD?
My (limited) understanding in this area is that direct DSD is, erm, more direct than DOP - and therefore is preferable if the DAC can support it, which the iDSD can.

I doubt if this has any bearing any issues you have, I'm just curious as to the pros and cons of using DOP. I thought its only purpose was to work with DACs that can't handle direct DSD.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #3,608 of 9,047
I have never dared press that button in HF Player (But I have never had the need to). Are user EQ presets wiped or retained in the process?

That, I don't know, as I never use its EQ before.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #3,610 of 9,047
Try increasing that buffer to 5 seconds (i.e. 5000, not 500).

Does it crackle on all audio formats or only high-res?

Thx but JRMC19 maxes out at 500ms. :frowning2:

I haven't tried all combinations but a majority of my files are CD ripped to ALAC via iTunes.  (I was playing with the Apple TV when I started so I never did FLAC).  I've downloaded some hi-res FLAC since as well as DSD (like samples from NativeDSD, Oppo, etc.).  Seems to all click and pop but inconsistently.

One week before the iDSD's arrival I had a cheap Simple Audio Listen speaker that has its own DAC via USB.  None of my music clicked or popped.  Neither does it when it connects via USB to the RSA Predator portable amp.

Why are you using the DOP option for DSD?
My (limited) understanding in this area is that direct DSD is, erm, more direct than DOP - and therefore is preferable if the DAC can support it, which the iDSD can.

I doubt if this has any bearing any issues you have, I'm just curious as to the pros and cons of using DOP. I thought its only purpose was to work with DACs that can't handle direct DSD.

I am really not sure why.  I'm not very experienced with computer audio other than listening.  The online doc from iFi states this configuration.

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18+19.pdf

"With the iDSD, one must ENABLE the “DSD over PCM” option with each audio playback software
program.

This ensures your computer audio program is configured to natively ENCODE DSD ready for the iDSD
to natively DECODE DSD.

Step 3: Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming
‐ Select DSD over PCM (DoP)
‐ Select DoP Format: DoP 1.0 (0xFA/0.05)

Exit. You are now ready to enjoy DSD without conversion to another format on your iDSD by iFi.

1.   Set DSD to 'Bitstreaming' > DoP (because under WASAPI ONLY DoP allows PCM)."

-H

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,611 of 9,047

Your problem can be easily solved by simply using an AV switch box between iDSD and your speaker. Make sure it is selected to a blank input before powering up the iDSD, then switch it back to iDSD after it is powered up. It will also work for you when you only need to listen to headphone-out. No more removing RCA cable.

After thinking about your suggestion, I ordered the Schiit SYS.  Their tech told me I can connect it in reverse so my line out can be toggled to the powered speakers or null.  And the volume pot will attenuate the signal to, hopefully, eliminate the popping!  Let's see if this theory works in practical application.

Thanks again for this tip!

-H

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,612 of 9,047

After thinking about your suggestion, I ordered the Schiit SYS.  Their tech told me I can connect it in reverse so my line out can be toggled to the powered speakers or null.  And the volume pot will attenuate the signal to, hopefully, eliminate the popping!  Let's see if this theory works in practical application.

Thanks again for this tip!

-H

I think you'll be happy .... that's exactly the set-up I have ... Micro iDSD (line out) to Schitt SYS to powered speakers (Emotive Air Motiv 5s). Cuz even Head-Fiers need a break from h/ps occasionally. The SYS works great as an on/off and volume control for the powered speakers. A brilliant and very reasonably priced solution from Schiit. 

May 3, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,613 of 9,047
FYI, recently reviewed ATH-R70x headphone. During the review I tried all gears I have, DACs and Amps, and guess what, ifi micro iDSD + iCAN sounds better than my other big gears to drive ATH-R70x. My other gears probably matching better with my other cans, but for ATH-R70x, so far ifi stack sounds best!!!

May 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,614 of 9,047
I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the micro iDSD, but Music Direct has been out of stock for coming on a month, and cannot provide any info on when they'll have it in stock. MD has been recommended to me in the vs. Hugo thread as a good seller.

Can anyone recommend another reliable US online seller? I'm having it shipped to a friend in California who will bring it to me in Taiwan, and it has to get to her by the first week of June. I really don't want to have to their entire list of US sellers to find one with stock, and then have to determine if they can ship it on time reliably. http://ifi-audio.com/sales/#usa

Have sent iFi customer service an email and am waiting to her back.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back