iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,161 of 9,047
Thanks for the reply. You know, I totally forgot to add that the Auditor does not have RCA ins, so I ran my Aune T1 to the amp with RCA to XLR cables. Do you think that could have anything to do with not getting enough juice to my cans? I really had to crank the Auditor up, and running RCA disabled the gain and volume controls on my Aune T1, so it just wasn't getting there.

Yes that would explain it BUT there is no harm in turning the gain control on the Auditor up high. That's what it's there for!

Are you saying you turned the Auditor all the way up and it still wasn't enough?

Using the iDSD in pre-amp mode and turning it all the way up should solve the problem.

Inserting the iTUBE in +6dB mode should also solve the problem.

The iCAN sounds very good but do bear in mind that these devices takes 200 hours to 'burn in' before they give their final sound and they do go through 'growing pains'.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,162 of 9,047
Yes that would explain it BUT there is no harm in turning the gain control on the Auditor up high. That's what it's there for!

Are you saying you turned the Auditor all the way up and it still wasn't enough?

Using the iDSD in pre-amp mode and turning it all the way up should solve the problem.

Inserting the iTUBE in +6dB mode should also solve the problem.

The iCAN sounds very good but do bear in mind that these devices takes 200 hours to 'burn in' before they give their final sound and they do go through 'growing pains'.

Yes, I would turn the Auditor all the way up, and sure, I could hear it, but it wouldn't DRIVE, ya know? I mean, I don't blow my eardrums out; still, it wasn't up to my comfortable listening range.

Strange that my DM+ running line level has tons of room to spare, yet the Pre Box at line level was crap, and then running my Aune from RCA to XLR was too low.

I'll check out how the iDSD from RCA to XLR works, as it might have just been the Aune. In theory they should both be fine considering the interconnect is just plain old analog, but, like I said the Aune might not be performing well in that regard.

Anyway, 200 hours...awesome!

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,166 of 9,047
hi guys quick question the spdif output can also be used as a input on the nano.

This is the micro thread. Try here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression/1080

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,167 of 9,047
Well, I got all of my micro gear in today. I have to say, the packaging sure is sexy.

So, I'll get home, let the batteries charge up and give it a quick whirl. Afterwards I'll let it burn in for 200 hours and then give it another go. :)

P.S. I find it interesting that if the iTube is supposed to last 100,000 hours, and if I listen to it for 1.5 hours a day, theoretically, it would take me 182 years to burn it out! I wonder if ifi will replace it for my great-great-great grandchildren.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,168 of 9,047
Well, I got all of my micro gear in today. I have to say, the packaging sure is sexy.

So, I'll get home, let the batteries charge up and give it a quick whirl. Afterwards I'll let it burn in for 200 hours and then give it another go.
smily_headphones1.gif

it was recommended by iFi for the initial charge:  let iFi iDSD micro charge the battery for a full 24 hours!
leave it plugged in for 24 hours, even though the LED light will go off before 24hours elapses.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #2,169 of 9,047
Took the jump and ordered in Amazon through Avatar Acoustics. Hope it turns out well. Keeping my fingers crossed on how it matches up with my Fidelio X2 and B&W P7 
happy_face1.gif

BTW, can you guys suggest me a not-so-pricey but decent headphone stand?

Thanks

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,170 of 9,047
  Does the iCan has a better amp than the micro's internal amp ? What's the different ? :)

I do not own an iCAN myself, though several comments throughout this thread and elsewhere have indicated that the iCAN amp does indeed sound better.  This makes sense as the iCAN utilizes a beautifully designed discrete class A topology, while the iDSD micro contains more conventional chip based circuitry.  I have read that the Xbass equalization curve is a little more pronounced in the iCAN as well.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,171 of 9,047

it was recommended by iFi for the initial charge:  let iFi iDSD micro charge the battery for a full 24 hours!
leave it plugged in for 24 hours, even though the LED light will go off before 24hours elapses.

Just so you know EVOLVIST, they also said it's not like it will harm it though if you listen to it before the 24 hours is up, it's just to ensure the best possible battery life long-term.
They even considered it a bit "OCD" from what I remember lol. But then again.. I'm OCD myself when buying any new product that's as nice as the iDSD  
biggrin.gif

Don't forget, you can use different chargers to improve the charging time.  I charged mine fully in roughly 15 hours the first time when using the iPad charger. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2,172 of 9,047

Hi,

There is the nano iDSD and the micro iDSD.

The micro iDSD and both the iPhone 6 Plus/Sony Z2 are a perfect match that suits both camps.

The tech that is the micro iDSD just cannot be made any smaller.

We are good but we're not alchemists!

I see.  So, basically, for the foreseeable future, the smallest amp you could make with similar (or higher) power output would be the already-existing micro iDSD, right? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,174 of 9,047
Hi,

Technically speaking:

1. CCK puts Phone into host mode = cannot charge.

2. To charge and play need to use iPhone's iDevice Accessory mode, limited to 48kHz/16Bit.

Separately, Android has in principle a Charge & Play mode called ACA dock, but it is not widely supported and we have not implemented this on iDSD micro at this time.

So charge and play on iOS is not possible.

Hope this clarifies.

Yes, I know. Just hoping it does in the future. I use my iPhone 6 for long periods in the car and I always find the battery low upon reaching my destination. Would save for an even improved micro iDSD instead of buy another player..:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,175 of 9,047
Bummer. I had to put in a ticket because both of my computers will not detect the iDSD micro. Just a flashing blue LED when off and a flashing green one when on. The USB software will not install because it says my device has to be plugged in...when it IS plugged in. I've read through about 200 pages here without finding an answer. 64-bit Windows 7. USB 2.0 and 3.0.

I'm at a loss. I guess I'll see what they say. I've never had a problem connecting anything to either machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back