iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,086 of 9,047

Well, I was primarily thinking you might not have given the Violectric V200 (or the rest of your gear) a fair chance to really show what it can do. What you hear would be limited to the worst part of the chain, and that'd almost certainly be MP3s if that's what you were using for tunes while doing your critical evaluations and bang-for-the-buck considerations.

For me the Violectric V200 was too warm sounding with the HD650,

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,088 of 9,047
What's the best app for iPhone to output DSD to the iFi DSD Micro? Is it Onkyo's HD player?

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,089 of 9,047
What's the best app for iPhone to output DSD to the iFi DSD Micro? Is it Onkyo's HD player?

indeed that's what I use with iPhone/iPad.
settings: DoP.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,090 of 9,047
Question from a newbie : can I use headphones in direct or preamp mode ? Won't in direct mode you won't being able to control volume using the knob on the idsd?
Will 3d and bass be able to be used in direct mode?

I'm a little confused .

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,091 of 9,047
Question from a newbie : can I use headphones in direct or preamp mode ? Won't in direct mode you won't being able to control volume using the knob on the idsd?
Will 3d and bass be able to be used in direct mode?

I'm a little confused .

Direct and Preamp only affect the RCA outs on the back. The headphone out on the front functions as is either way. 3D and XBass can be used always with the headphone out.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #2,092 of 9,047
Direct and Preamp only affect the RCA outs on the back. The headphone out on the front functions as is either way. 3D and XBass can be used always with the headphone out.

Right, so you're saying that if you're using the preamp out, you can still engage the 3D and X-Bass circuits and send that signal to a power amp, yes? That would make sense.

Also, does anyone know if the RCA cables that come with it are EMI/RFI shielded?

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,094 of 9,047
  I only listened to this dac/amp for 10 minutes. Good God!!!! This is what 500 bucks !!?????

I have listened to alot of dacs and this is the best budget audiophile deal Ive ever heard .

I completely agree Jimmy.  IMO for the money, nothing touches the iDSD micro in both sound quality and versatility/portability. The competition is fierce in this quickly evolving market though, and I expect to see a lot of worthy contenders in the near future.

I also hope that DSD becomes as popular a high resolution format as PCM, as to my ears it sounds superior.
popcorn.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,096 of 9,047
I completely agree Jimmy.  IMO for the money, nothing touches the iDSD micro in both sound quality and versatility/portability. The competition is fierce in this quickly evolving market though, and I expect to see a lot of worthy contenders in the near future.

I also hope that DSD becomes as popular a high resolution format as PCM, as to my ears it sounds superior. :popcorn:

+1 on both points.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #2,097 of 9,047
Got mine yesterday. Sounds Bloody Brilliant!

Last Friday I ordered the iDSD micro, the iCAN micro, the iUSB Power and the iTube, so I haven't gotten them yet. I like to read these great reviews, though!

I sort of have the feeling I'll be sending the iCAN back, because the preamp on the iDSD, in theory, should be able to feed my SPL Auditor as a headphone amp, in which case I'll send the iCAN back, for the Gemini and Mercury cables. But you never know: I might find that the iCAN works best, although it has a very steep hill to climb to battle the Auditor.

In fact, I also have the hyrbrid SS/Tube Pro-Ject Pre Box RS Digital coming, so it'll be a shootout between that, the ifi products and my current gear (all the while mixing the three setups).

I really can't wait...but something tells me the ifi gear might win out (minus the iCAN). But hey, I have 30 days tryout on the Pro-Ject gear and 60 days on the ifi gear, so it should be a lot of fun. :)

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,098 of 9,047
Where did you order iCAN and iTube with a 60 day return policy?

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,100 of 9,047
Right, so you're saying that if you're using the preamp out, you can still engage the 3D and X-Bass circuits and send that signal to a power amp, yes? That would make sense.

Also, does anyone know if the RCA cables that come with it are EMI/RFI shielded?

Right.  Direct mode is the only one that does not allow you to use the 3D and X-Bass functions (hence direct pass-through of the signal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back