iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,996 of 9,047
With the iPod classic it may be possible to use the headphone output of the iPod classic into the analog input of the iDSD micro. I have done this with a old Sony Walkman player and took the setup to the Denver RMAF and tried the Alpha Prime headphones and bought it at the spot. Even know that you are using the iPod classic DAC there is still can be a quality advantage using the analog input of the micro. I was surprised how well the Walkman/micro combination worked. It was good enough to showcase the Alpha Prime as an endgame headphone for me. The micro iDSD comes with a 3.5 analog cable, nothing extra to buy in my case.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,997 of 9,047
With the iPod classic it may be possible to use the headphone output of the iPod classic into the analog input of the iDSD micro. I have done this with a old Sony Walkman player and took the setup to the Denver RMAF and tried the Alpha Prime headphones and bought it at the spot. Even know that you are using the iPod classic DAC there is still can be a quality advantage using the analog input of the micro. I was surprised how well the Walkman/micro combination worked. It was good enough to showcase the Alpha Prime as an endgame headphone for me. The micro iDSD comes with a 3.5 analog cable, nothing extra to buy in my case.

Why not use Apple CCK? iPod classic not upgrade-able to iOS 7?

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,998 of 9,047

That is unless he's merely using the iDSD as a preamp in which he can use the 3.5mm input (though I wonder why he wouldn't be using the superb DAC).

> That will be a big waste for using iDAC micro as mere amp. While it has a decently good amp section, you can get a better pure portable amp for cheaper price.

The only way I think he can use the iDSD's DAC section with the iPod Classic is if he gets a true iDevice DAC like the CLAS -dB with coaxial out to use the coaxial input of the micro iDSD.

> Consider CLAS -dB is even more expensive than the iDSD micro and makes the whole package well over $1k, I don't think that's a particular smart choice.

See the first answer above.

The real value of iDSD micro is in its DAC. Of course the amp section isn't bad either, you are however not getting the best of the device. The amp section alone is on the leaner side of neutral - it compliments the slightly richer, warmer DAC perfectly, but it is not the best $500 you can spend on a pure amp. Unless there is a real need of the 4W power, you can get a $300 portable amp with compatible, or even better sounding amp.

Only newer iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone have iOS7.

No iPod Classic of any generation runs on iOS. They have an operating system, but it is not iOS.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,999 of 9,047
To add a few things thought. While the iClassic doesn't work with CCK at all, there are some DAC/amp that will allow you to bypass iClassic's DAC but they often cost a lot because of licensing from Apple [?] such as the Sony PHA-2 

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2,000 of 9,047
  If I understand you correctly. You can use your iPod digital out to the iDSD micro. Then use the line out of the iDSD to the SET amp. That way the iPod can be the source for either of the iDSD for headphone listening or to your SET amp for the speakers.

I should have clarified. John is correct. I would use the iDSD micro in direct mode by-passing the pre/amp section.

See the first answer above.

The real value of iDSD micro is in its DAC. Of course the amp section isn't bad either, you are however not getting the best of the device. The amp section alone is on the leaner side of neutral - it compliments the slightly richer, warmer DAC perfectly, but it is not the best $500 you can spend on a pure amp. Unless there is a real need of the 4W power, you can get a $300 portable amp with compatible, or even better sounding amp.

This was my thought.

Only newer iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone have iOS7.

No iPod Classic of any generation runs on iOS. They have an operating system, but it is not iOS.

So, ace the Classic 160g and go with one of the new platforms that run iOS7.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,001 of 9,047
"The real value of iDSD micro is in its DAC. Of course the amp section isn't bad either, you are however not getting the best of the device. The amp section alone is on the leaner side of neutral - it compliments the slightly richer, warmer DAC perfectly, but it is not the best $500 you can spend on a pure amp. Unless there is a real need of the 4W power, you can get a $300 portable amp with compatible, or even better sounding amp."
I have had my idsd micro now for about 6 weeks. I use it strictly as a dac in my home set up. Let me tell you straight, this little device rocks. Very impressive at its price point. I had the nano and this beats it by a mile. I am using an iusb power and gemini cable in line with it that I got for the nano. I don't like that I have to use that generic usb adapter supplied because the apple crowd won out in the design phase on the input connector (USB A MALE!!??) :frowning2:. I upgraded to this: http://www.lindy-usa.com/usb-30-adapter-71277.html It is a well built usb 3.0 a female to b female adapter. It gives a little improvement and is cheap. I have since ordered an audiophile grade usb adapter from Forza Audioworks. Matt will make it for me for $59. I'm expecting it to be good, there is a whole thread praising their work. I am also thinking of getting my T1s recabled there in the future.

Back to my use of the idsd as a dac. The iusb power makes it easy to just leave the idsd on all the time. The power management of the battery works very well. I have tried it both in direct and preamp mode. I have settled on preamp as I like the choice of using the Xbass and 3D settings, which are bypassed in direct mode. The 3D works well with some recordings. It is amazing when listening to orchestral music especially...huge soundstage. The bass effect is nice and not overdone. I usually leave the filter on minimum phase, seems to be the best overall.
The only negative on the SQ is that it is a little lean in the midrange. I've remedied this in my Woo WA2 Headphone/preamp. So its IDSD > Woo WA2 > Exposure 2010S2 Amp > Monitor Audio GX100 speakers in my main system. It's Beyer T1s when I do headphones from the Woo. Both sound amazing and i won't need to upgrade for awhile..................what's up with the idsd mini? no rush but I'm sure that will tempt me....damn :/

I'll post my impressions of the Forza Audioworks usb adapter when I get it in a couple weeks.

Happy Holidays everybody. Thanks for all the posts. They have been very helpful to me.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,003 of 9,047
Sorry if the question had been asked before, didn't manage to go through all 134 pages.

I currently have the ifi micro stack prior to the iDSD, so the iUSB power -> iDAC -> iTube -> iCan. How much more improvement would buying an iDSD Micro give me (mainly looking at SQ) other than compatibility for additional file formats. Thanks.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #2,004 of 9,047
I've heard the setup you are referring to with my LCD3f and personally for pcm listening I do not think it would be worth it to upgrade. On the other hand for DSD this bad boy holds its own against a lot higher prices products. Also this would be a lot more portable than your stack if you want to listen to music while you walk around the house. The IDSD has plenty of power to drive any cans but it's headphone amp isn't as controlled as I would like in the upper mid range. You really only notice this on certain songs with a strong treble and baseline. The song that comes to mine is "Midas Touch" by "Ellie Goulding" this song has a punchy bass which is complimented with her higher octave voice. When done right I absolutly love this song. I like her voice to sound smooth and full at high volumes with the bass just knocking you off your feet. Instead it is slightly pitchy and light. As mentioned earlier the amp section on this is not all that great. Powerful? Yes but not as controlled.

As far as DSD one of my favorite songs to listen to is called "Shake me now" by "Quilles and Cloud (5.6mhz version). This song through the IDSD is completely awe inspiring. This is a free track available through blue coast records which is well known for quality recordings. Shoot me a PM and I can send you the download link if you can't find it. This is an acoustic song with just a guitar and a beautiful voice. You can actually hear her voice echo off the walls in the room. At the beggening of the song there is a door that closes that caused me to turn and look just to realize there was only a wall next to me. Very well recorded track. For the price I have yet to find anything to touch it when it comes to DSD. I'm currently demoing a B.M.C pure dac which retailes for about $1,700 usd and the ifi is doing well with DSD. Pcm on the other hand is a different story lol.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #2,005 of 9,047
I completely agree 100%. When paired with a good tube amp this thing is amazing. Unison research will be coming out with a new product called the "SH" I was lucky enough to test out the product.. I paired it with the IDSD and I felt like I was being wrapped in a silk velvet sheet. They will be debuting this product at CES in January. It will be around $1700 I beleive.

"The real value of iDSD micro is in its DAC. Of course the amp section isn't bad either, you are however not getting the best of the device. The amp section alone is on the leaner side of neutral - it compliments the slightly richer, warmer DAC perfectly, but it is not the best $500 you can spend on a pure amp. Unless there is a real need of the 4W power, you can get a $300 portable amp with compatible, or even better sounding amp."
I have had my idsd micro now for about 6 weeks. I use it strictly as a dac in my home set up. Let me tell you straight, this little device rocks. Very impressive at its price point. I had the nano and this beats it by a mile. I am using an iusb power and gemini cable in line with it that I got for the nano. I don't like that I have to use that generic usb adapter supplied because the apple crowd won out in the design phase on the input connector (USB A MALE!!??) :frowning2:. I upgraded to this: http://www.lindy-usa.com/usb-30-adapter-71277.html It is a well built usb 3.0 a female to b female adapter. It gives a little improvement and is cheap. I have since ordered an audiophile grade usb adapter from Forza Audioworks. Matt will make it for me for $59. I'm expecting it to be good, there is a whole thread praising their work. I am also thinking of getting my T1s recabled there in the future.

Back to my use of the idsd as a dac. The iusb power makes it easy to just leave the idsd on all the time. The power management of the battery works very well. I have tried it both in direct and preamp mode. I have settled on preamp as I like the choice of using the Xbass and 3D settings, which are bypassed in direct mode. The 3D works well with some recordings. It is amazing when listening to orchestral music especially...huge soundstage. The bass effect is nice and not overdone. I usually leave the filter on minimum phase, seems to be the best overall.
The only negative on the SQ is that it is a little lean in the midrange. I've remedied this in my Woo WA2 Headphone/preamp. So its IDSD > Woo WA2 > Exposure 2010S2 Amp > Monitor Audio GX100 speakers in my main system. It's Beyer T1s when I do headphones from the Woo. Both sound amazing and i won't need to upgrade for awhile..................what's up with the idsd mini? no rush but I'm sure that will tempt me....damn :/

I'll post my impressions of the Forza Audioworks usb adapter when I get it in a couple weeks.

Happy Holidays everybody. Thanks for all the posts. They have been very helpful to me.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #2,006 of 9,047
Hi guys,

how is the micro idsd compare to schitt bifrost uber for example in dac ?

thanks.

P.s I'm thinking of linking up the micro idsd with valhalla 2. Not sure if that will be a good match.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,007 of 9,047

Do you have any amp recommendation for the micro idsd ?
I'm using K10, a quite sensitive iem 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #2,008 of 9,047
Hi guys, I purchased the iDSD micro recently and my current set up is as follows:

iPhone 5 (IOS 8) > CCK > iDSD > iCan > H/Ps

However, I've found that I'm still able to control the volume via the iPhone. Should this be the case? Does this mean that the volume control on the iPhone is via digital attenuation?

I'm also curious about this as feeding the iDSD/iCan from my macbook (via USB) yields a significantly different sound from my iPhone - however, if the same amp/dac is being used shouldn't there be no difference in sound between my iPhone and macbook?

Thanks for the help!

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,009 of 9,047
What app are you using to play music from your iphone? I have the iphone 6+ and I can't imagine it being different but when I plug in my IDSD via camera connection kit I lose the ability to control the volume from my iphone. That does seem a little odd. I prefer to use the onkyo audio app since it will allow you to play DSD and hi res flac files if you purchase the HD pack. And different sofware can have a different sound due to processing and default add ons (like eq, crossfeed, etc). Also what sofware are you using to play music on your macbook? Check on your macbook itunes prefences and make sure "sound enhancer" under the "playback" option is unchecked as this can change the sound dramatically.
Quote:
  Hi guys, I purchased the iDSD micro recently and my current set up is as follows:

iPhone 5 (IOS 8) > CCK > iDSD > iCan > H/Ps

However, I've found that I'm still able to control the volume via the iPhone. Should this be the case? Does this mean that the volume control on the iPhone is via digital attenuation?

I'm also curious about this as feeding the iDSD/iCan from my macbook (via USB) yields a significantly different sound from my iPhone - however, if the same amp/dac is being used shouldn't there be no difference in sound between my iPhone and macbook?

Thanks for the help!

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,010 of 9,047

On my iPhone, I use the Flacplayer app and Spotify - both of them allow for volume control on the iDevice. 

On my macbook, I usually use Audirvana+, but for the comparison I spoke of, I used the Spotify app. I don't believe I enabled any equalisation on Spotify. Edit: Sound enhancer is also off.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back