iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #781 of 9,047
Hi Heads,

I too have the crackle-pop issue with my iFi Micro iDSD.  It only happens when I switch from PCM playback to DSD or when switching DSD sample rates (DSD64->DSD128 for example).  This is playing music from my Mac using PureMusic, Audirvana+, and Jriver MC 19 configured for DoP DSD playback.  This noise can be rather loud if I have the volume turned up.  The first time I experienced it with the volume turned up I feared for the safety of my speakers!

I have reported this issue on the ifi-audio website.

Please let me know if anyone has found a workaround for this problem on a Mac as it is quite annoying.

Also, if enough of us file complaints to ifi-audio maybe they will take the problem seriously and implement a fix.

thanks!

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #782 of 9,047

Regarding the 2 supplied USB B plug cables asked about earlier in thread: iFi support indicates the black is USB 2.0, blue is usb 3.0, and they generally recommend the latter.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #784 of 9,047
  Hi Heads,

I too have the crackle-pop issue with my iFi Micro iDSD.  It only happens when I switch from PCM playback to DSD or when switching DSD sample rates (DSD64->DSD128 for example).  This is playing music from my Mac using PureMusic, Audirvana+, and Jriver MC 19 configured for DoP DSD playback.  This noise can be rather loud if I have the volume turned up.  The first time I experienced it with the volume turned up I feared for the safety of my speakers!

Please let me know if anyone has found a workaround for this problem on a Mac as it is quite annoying.

Also, if enough of us file complaints to ifi-audio maybe they will take the problem seriously and implement a fix.

thanks!

Careful what you wish for. The "fix" may entail a dimunition of SQ.

Me, I rather adhere to some Volume control discipline than be reduced to a "me too"  mediocre DSD SQ like the majority of DACs out there.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #786 of 9,047
  Hi Heads,

thanks!

It appears that the solution has already been found (ASIO on Mac), although the companies you mentioned are yet to update their software players. Decibel and HQPlayer already did so. 
popcorn.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #787 of 9,047
  Ah, but that's with ASIO (which iFi already supports, albeit right now only for Windows users). Again, it looks like all the roads lead to ASIO...

Nope, HQ Player for Mac now suuports DSD512 in ASIO. Its the iFI driver for Mac that does not allow it.
Miska made his own Dac with the Decibel driver that plays virtually any rate.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #789 of 9,047
  Again, you're talking about DSD512 ASIO support, which further supports my point. The problem here is that iFi doesn't have an ASIO driver for Mac yet.

Yes, I think we are in agreement, actually. I think they would have to completely rewite the current driver, or develop and alternative one just for Asio/Mac.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #790 of 9,047
Nope, HQ Player for Mac now suuports DSD512 in ASIO. Its the iFI driver for Mac that does not allow it.
Miska made his own Dac with the Decibel driver that plays virtually any rate.

dsd 512 in my opinion is just a (stupid) number, no human being will ever able to hear ( feel) it, dsd 128 is all we need, even less... i rest my case.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #792 of 9,047
dsd 512 in my opinion is just a (stupid) number, no human being will ever able to hear ( feel) it, dsd 128 is all we need, even less... i rest my case.

popcorn.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #793 of 9,047

It appears that the solution has already been found (ASIO on Mac), although the companies you mentioned are yet to update their software players. Decibel and HQPlayer already did so. 
popcorn.gif

So you're saying I can buy HQPlayer for Mac and the problem will go away?  Do I need to buy something else as well?  The HQPlayer purchase webpage talks about needing a Signalyst Network Audio Adapter for use on a Mac but does not link to one.  Do I also need to buy something like USB Audio ASIO driver for mac?

Sorry for all of thee basic questions, I'm a newb to computer audio and this is rather confusing.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #794 of 9,047
You can not use a USB3 with type B connector even with the adapters that comes with the micro. You need USB 3.0 Type A Male to Type A Female cable. Generally USB3 is designed for faster speeds and  higher current on the power lines than USB2 provided that it is used on a USB3 port. USB3 has 9 wires plus shield and USB2 has four wires.
You could use a USB2 cable with a type B connector with the adapters that is included with the micro. The other IFI iDSD the Nano can use USB3 or USB2 with the type B connector without using adapters.

So if I will plug in an usb OTG cable to android phone and then USB 3.0 A to USB B to Micro iDSD with the included adapter then it will not work?

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #795 of 9,047
Answer: Will not work since the cable will not even plug into the adapters. The adapters that came with my micro are USB2 type B.

A USB3 type B connector is different from a USB2 type B connector. USB3 type B connector is not backward compatibly to a USB2 type B port. You can put a USB2 type B conector into a USB3 type B port.   USB3 type A connector is backward compatibly to a USB2 type A. There is the pictures that shows the differences. 

This is a USB2 cable with a type B connector.

This is a USB3 cable with a type B connector

Noticed that the USB3 Type B connector is quite different and will not fit in a USB2 type B port. The cable included is a USB3  type A male to female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back