iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #8,281 of 9,047
I am wondering if something like an idefender3.0 or isilencer3.0 would help here? maybe its my lg type c usb has dirty signal output ???

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #8,282 of 9,047
Well on that I'm not going to be able to help any further as I almost never use otg from my phone (s7 active) to the black label. When I have though it worked great no pops.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #8,283 of 9,047
Check your phone's settings, perhaps it has something to do with the fancy DAC/amp the LG phones have. If you disable the 'dual DAC' (or whatever it's actually called), perhaps it'll resolve the device specific issue.

I connect my idsd via otg cable to my Nexus 5 and have zero issues beyond the cheap cable sometimes wiggling loose and dropping audio.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #8,284 of 9,047
I can confirm that on my pc I hear no pops or cracks randomly, its from my phone the lg v30 has something with that usb c thing. gota dig deep into this. and the quad dac is off when u dont plug anything into the jack.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #8,285 of 9,047
Has anyone tried both the Sony PHA-3 and IFI Micro with iPod classic? I know that you can only use Micro with iPod classic through the line out connection but I'm still interested to hear how it compares in SQ to PHA-3 with the balanced mode. I know the Micro is better than the PHA-3 pretty much in every category but I would be mostly using it with my cd-player and iPod Classic and only occasionally as a desktop amp (only when I'm travelling etc.) I already own a PHA-3 and was wondering if getting the Micro would make any sense for my use (I mainly listen to music with Hifiman HE-560).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #8,286 of 9,047
Has anyone tried both the Sony PHA-3 and IFI Micro with iPod classic? I know that you can only use Micro with iPod classic through the line out connection but I'm still interested to hear how it compares in SQ to PHA-3 with the balanced mode. I know the Micro is better than the PHA-3 pretty much in every category but I would be mostly using it with my cd-player and iPod Classic and only occasionally as a desktop amp (only when I'm travelling etc.) I already own a PHA-3 and was wondering if getting the Micro would make any sense for my use (I mainly listen to music with Hifiman HE-560).
I have both and I can tell you the Ifi Micro doesn't have the smoothness of the PHA-3. Yes the Ifi Micro can do more while costing a lot less but there something special about the PHA-3. As a headphone DAC/AMP the PHA-3 kick the Ifi to the curve, because the PHA-3 I mostly use the Ifi Micro in my 2 channel system as a DAC.

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #8,287 of 9,047
I have both and I can tell you the Ifi Micro doesn't have the smoothness of the PHA-3. Yes the Ifi Micro can do more while costing a lot less but there something special about the PHA-3. As a headphone DAC/AMP the PHA-3 kick the Ifi to the curve, because the PHA-3 I mostly use the Ifi Micro in my 2 channel system as a DAC.

Thanks for your answer! Could someone tell me have they got a decend sound from a portable cd-player with the Micro through the 3,5 mm line-out connection? PHA-3 single-ended with Hifiman HE-560 is almost useless for that purpose even with both the volumes from the amp and the cd-player turned as loud as possible. I still like PHA-3 with iPod Classic while using a balanced mode though.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #8,288 of 9,047
I've had a little issue with my iDSD Micro BL. I left the device turned on mistakenly for some few days up till the battery fully drained off. I was hard put to reawaken it. When I turned the iDSD on, plugged into my PC, the light would start flickering, alternating green and red light. Then when I tried to play music back with the iDSD on USB mode on the PC, the playback would stop and the light turn off after a few minutes; the system would not recognize the IDSD as if it would have been unplugged. It seems the iDSD can't work when the battery is drained off even on USB mode, which is strange. Now I having it getting a full recharge. Any comments?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #8,289 of 9,047
I've had a little issue with my iDSD Micro BL. I left the device turned on mistakenly for some few days up till the battery fully drained off. I was hard put to reawaken it. When I turned the iDSD on, plugged into my PC, the light would start flickering, alternating green and red light. Then when I tried to play music back with the iDSD on USB mode on the PC, the playback would stop and the light turn off after a few minutes; the system would not recognize the IDSD as if it would have been unplugged. It seems the iDSD can't work when the battery is drained off even on USB mode, which is strange. Now I having it getting a full recharge. Any comments?
I have had the same issue actually.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #8,290 of 9,047
Odd issues. My bl is on its way back to me since the person I sold it to said it wouldn't work on usb. I'll test it when I get back, but believe him. Wondering what could have happened, since it still charges, but 2 pcs would not recognize it. I had used it shortly before selling it no issue. I'm not trying to send it into ifi since they'll be a charge considering I'm the 2nd owner. If the usb doesn't work, it's not a big deal for me since all my music is on my fiio x3i anyways, and I can use it as a transport like I've done all along. BUT, would like to ensure it's fully functional should I decide to sell it again, which at this point I dont.. any ideas how the usb dac portion would fail out of nowhere, but, electronics are electronics and fail sometimes. Just thinking ahead to see if anyone has had this issue prior with usb, I believe he stated it will say "usb malfunctioning" when plugged into 2 different pcs. I think I had it on the most current firmware but unsure. Should have it back in a few days, delayed because of weather for now. Honestly kind of glad to get it back, I missed it.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #8,291 of 9,047
I surprised no one has responded. Try plugging into your PC "before" turn the iDSD on to operate as bus power mode.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #8,292 of 9,047
Probably a good idea to give it some charge first before trying to play anything. There are some variables at play that might affect whether or not you'll be able to play anything at lower battery levels. For example, using eco power mode will leave you with additional power from the USB connection to charge the iDSD. However, if you're using Normal/Turbo, you'll drain the battery even if plugged in via USB.

Have you had any luck getting to work again in the last few days?

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #8,293 of 9,047
I surprised no one has responded. Try plugging into your PC "before" turn the iDSD on to operate as bus power mode.

So I did. I tried to play back in both modes with the same result. I knew I had to do that because I read the iFi cardboard manual from the box.

Probably a good idea to give it some charge first before trying to play anything. There are some variables at play that might affect whether or not you'll be able to play anything at lower battery levels. For example, using eco power mode will leave you with additional power from the USB connection to charge the iDSD. However, if you're using Normal/Turbo, you'll drain the battery even if plugged in via USB.

Have you had any luck getting to work again in the last few days?

I fully charged the iDSD before first use but I had only used it as an amp with a dap. When I was going to play music back with the iDSD connected to my PC I realised that the battery was drained off because I forgot to turn it off after the last listening and given that I was eager to try the iDSD dac, I supposed the device would work with the computer-supplied power.
I agree what you say. I was using it in Turbo. I've had no time to test it since the iDSD charging takes so long and personal issues have kept me away from my PC. When the charging finishes I'll try it and tell you.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #8,294 of 9,047
I agree what you say. I was using it in Turbo. I've had no time to test it since the iDSD charging takes so long and personal issues have kept me away from my PC. When the charging finishes I'll try it and tell you.
In that case, I think you'll be fine! I leave my BL on all day at work in Eco mode and then use it on the commute home and casually on the weekend. I've never had to dedicate any time to charging it since I got it a few months back. Given you're using Turbo mode, it makes sense that without some charge reserve it wouldn't be able to operate as Turbo will draw more than it receives from USB power.

On another note, unless you're driving a HE6 -- or the like -- I can't imagine what would need Turbo. I found that I barely needed Normal mode to drive my HE560's and have almost no volume control if I use Normal with my Aeons (though they do sound fuller in normal). No idea what you're gear is of course, but man... I struggle to think of when I would ever use Turbo.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #8,295 of 9,047
In that case, I think you'll be fine! I leave my BL on all day at work in Eco mode and then use it on the commute home and casually on the weekend. I've never had to dedicate any time to charging it since I got it a few months back. Given you're using Turbo mode, it makes sense that without some charge reserve it wouldn't be able to operate as Turbo will draw more than it receives from USB power.

On another note, unless you're driving a HE6 -- or the like -- I can't imagine what would need Turbo. I found that I barely needed Normal mode to drive my HE560's and have almost no volume control if I use Normal with my Aeons (though they do sound fuller in normal). No idea what you're gear is of course, but man... I struggle to think of when I would ever use Turbo.
Turbo is great if you want to push bass so low it's not even audible. When I listen to No Love by Death Grips on Normal I can hear very noticeable distortion in the bass. On Turbo my entire skull is shaking (and distortion is gone)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back