iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #7,936 of 9,047
Thanks. I was just wondering if people were using exotic USB cables with the converter that came with the iDSD.

Is there any reason iFi couldn't have used a standard USB connector? I know there is a converter included in the package, but I use my iDSD Black beside me on the couch, so don't really want a converter wobbling about.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #7,938 of 9,047
So far every android phone worked with the iDSD. Looks like Sony Xperia XZ premium is exception.

That is very weird, especially since it has Android and Android 7 on it...

Your cables are surely OTG?

Maybe installing something like another app will work. I remember that some apps don't work directly, but some can bypass that. I forgot the name of the app that works on almost any smartphone. I think that it was Neutron, but am not 100% sure.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #7,939 of 9,047
That is very weird, especially since it has Android and Android 7 on it...

Your cables are surely OTG?

Maybe installing something like another app will work. I remember that some apps don't work directly, but some can bypass that. I forgot the name of the app that works on almost any smartphone. I think that it was Neutron, but am not 100% sure.
Yes same cable worked with my s8. Strange. Very bad experience with Sony Xperia XZ Premium. Tried with all the apps. Also in settings -> device connections -> usb . There are no usb device option.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #7,940 of 9,047
Yes same cable worked with my s8. Strange. Very bad experience with Sony Xperia XZ Premium. Tried with all the apps. Also in settings -> device connections -> usb . There are no usb device option.

Woah, they might have changed the base Android configuration then. Although, it does make me wonder, why would they take away a feature if they're changing things. It would take them less effort to leave the feature there than re-write Google's Android to not work with an USB DAC.

Xiaomi Mi Max has Miui on it, which is far from vanilla Android, and it works absolutely flawless with iDSD BL. It works so good that anytime I'm using my smartphone for music and such, I connect iDSD BL for an ultimate experience. At least I know that Xiaomi phones should all work since they all use a fork of the same Miui base.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #7,941 of 9,047
Thanks. I was just wondering if people were using exotic USB cables with the converter that came with the iDSD.

Is there any reason iFi couldn't have used a standard USB connector? I know there is a converter included in the package, but I use my iDSD Black beside me on the couch, so don't really want a converter wobbling about.

Hi Darren, I am using a range of cables here on my two iDSDs and an iDAC2. What I have found is that if you are using an iPurifier2 and once it is warmed up, the cables make no difference. However without the iPurifier2, the Gemini cable definitely makes a nice difference, especially in the bass. Kimber USB also works nicely. I no longer use the blue cable because it won't fit the iPurifier2 but it's not a bad cable - better than cheap USB cables.

The reason for the USB Type A connection on the iDSD is so that it can be used with an OTG adaptor or Apple Camera Kit without any additional adaptors for a neat portable solution.

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #7,942 of 9,047
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't the iDSD have an iPurifier built in? I've seen almost identical blue USB cables on Amazon.co.uk for less that £5. Just a very slight difference in the shape of the female end.

A bit silly regarding the OTG thing. Why not let them use an adaptor and the majority of users using the iDSD on a PC or MAC can use whatever cable they want.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7,943 of 9,047
Hi

Can you list if you are using another USB cable and what it is, if you are not using the blue one that comes with the iDSD.

Regards

Darren

I am also looking for a replacement cable. I just want something shorter so I can have a smaller footprint on my desk.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7,944 of 9,047
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't the iDSD have an iPurifier built in? I've seen almost identical blue USB cables on Amazon.co.uk for less that £5. Just a very slight difference in the shape of the female end.

A bit silly regarding the OTG thing. Why not let them use an adaptor and the majority of users using the iDSD on a PC or MAC can use whatever cable they want.

Without having female on iDSD BL, it would be next to impossible to use it portably, that female USB really makes things nice for portable usage. I also found the blue USB cable that comes in the package to be very good, cannot complain about it in any way.

I am also looking for a replacement cable. I just want something shorter so I can have a smaller footprint on my desk.

Finding one that fits perfectly with iDSD might be the tricky part there, but I'm sure there are plenty if one looks hard enough.

What I generally do is I push cables beyond my desk, so any cabling I have goes out of laptop to the back of the desk, then it makes a comeback to the back of the devices, this way there are not too many cables on my desk.

I do appreciate the long cable though, it is a life saver, if, for example, you're using a smartphone charger to charge iDSD while not in usage. I do this a lot actually, since iDSD BL is stacked with FiiO X5ii, I charge each with my phone charger without breaking the stack.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,945 of 9,047
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #7,948 of 9,047
There's this hard adapter that comes highly recommended by a fellow forumer:

https://www.firefold.com/usb-3-0-type-a-male-to-usb-type-a-female-adapter

Might be what some of you are looking for.

Yup +1 for this. I tried some cheap ones from eBay and opened them up and wasn't too impressed with what I saw in terms of build quality.

I bought a couple of the Firefold ones and opened one and was very happy with what I saw, just in terms of build quality only.

And yep it fits inside the iDSD's recessed USB port.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #7,949 of 9,047
Is the DAC section on idsd BL and the original the same. I thought that I remembered the upgrades and changes were all to the action section but couldn't remember.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #7,950 of 9,047
Can any one confirm this will output pcm audio sound natively from my tv without compability issues using optical cable. Just have ordered one.

And my plan is to use it as a dac feeding my newly bought lake peopel rs 02 HPA and tv as my source. Listening with hd 650

Or will it sound best with hd 650 directly connected to the idsd bl? Makeing the rs 02 HPA less usefull.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back