iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4,636 of 9,047
  Issue solved: the usb power cable (white) doesn't work for some reason: the lights up iusb power led, but not enough juice i guess? I tried 120v wart and works good

You misunderstand what that white cable (USB-A to barrel) is for. It is for using iUSB to power up Logitech's Squeezebox, not for using your PC's USB port to power up the iUSB. Also, the whole point of iUSB is so that you can use the included ULN adapter (or iPower if you have the latest version) for its cleaner power. Plus, white cable only taps into USB 5V supply while ULN / iPower is 9V, hence why you can't power up the iUSB properly.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4,639 of 9,047
  Unfortunately I have these settings already. Any other thoughts?

Lot of questions come to mind but may be easier to help if we can get some more info about specific setup:

Does it happen the same in every game and in all music softwares?

Have you tried it on another computer and usb cable (if possible)?

If your on Windows make sure to disable all windows sound enhancements?

Does the same problem happen in music software if you choose ASIO, DS (Direct Sound), or WASAPI output?

Is the iDSD fully charged and/or is the red gain button set to turbo mode (should be set to normal)?

If you have an optical cable can you use the optical adapter packaged with the iDSD to hook it up to something that way and see if the same thing happens as usb (also make sure you don't have all inputs hooked up at the same time)?

Are you turning the iDSD on first before connecting the usb cable or is the cable first then power on?

Does it work ok if you use it as an amp from the front 3.5mm input?

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #4,640 of 9,047

Lot of questions come to mind but may be easier to help if we can get some more info about specific setup:

1)Does it happen the same in every game and in all music softwares?

2)Have you tried it on another computer and usb cable (if possible)?

3)If your on Windows make sure to disable all windows sound enhancements?

4)Does the same problem happen in music software if you choose ASIO, DS (Direct Sound), or WASAPI output?

5)Is the iDSD fully charged and/or is the red gain button set to turbo mode (should be set to normal)?

6)If you have an optical cable can you use the optical adapter packaged with the iDSD to hook it up to something that way and see if the same thing happens as usb (also make sure you don't have all inputs hooked up at the same time)?

7)Are you turning the iDSD on first before connecting the usb cable or is the cable first then power on?

8)Does it work ok if you use it as an amp from the front 3.5mm input?

Fist of all thanks for the response.

1) Yes it happens in every game but randomly. Sound stops in the game and I have to exit and re open it. It also happens while streaming from tidal(web plugin). Sound stops , track pauses and I have to reload the page and then its ok. It also happens in foobar. 
2) I tried the included USB type A female to type B female adapter with a cable of my own . Same thing.
3) Sound enhancements are disabled.
4) I am using foobar with asio . Sometimes sound stops and it pauses. Then when I hit play it throws a playback error . I then hit play again and the track starts from the beginning.
5) The iDSD seems fully charged as it rarely leaves the desktop. Power mode is set to eco. 
6) I have used it though optical cable with my tv and through the 3.5mm input with my ipod. Never had problems that way. Only one input at a time.
7) The usb cable is always connected to my pc and the idsd. After I switch on my pc and fully boot to windows then I switch on the idsd.  

I am running windows 8.1 at the moment. Ifi driver 2.20 and firmware version 4.06.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #4,641 of 9,047
  Fist of all thanks for the response.

1) Yes it happens in every game but randomly. Sound stops in the game and I have to exit and re open it. It also happens while streaming from tidal(web plugin). Sound stops , track pauses and I have to reload the page and then its ok. It also happens in foobar. 
2) I tried the included USB type A female to type B female adapter with a cable of my own . Same thing.
3) Sound enhancements are disabled.
4) I am using foobar with asio . Sometimes sound stops and it pauses. Then when I hit play it throws a playback error . I then hit play again and the track starts from the beginning.
5) The iDSD seems fully charged as it rarely leaves the desktop. Power mode is set to eco. 
6) I have used it though optical cable with my tv and through the 3.5mm input with my ipod. Never had problems that way. Only one input at a time.
7) The usb cable is always connected to my pc and the idsd. After I switch on my pc and fully boot to windows then I switch on the idsd.  

I am running windows 8.1 at the moment. Ifi driver 2.20 and firmware version 4.06.

Seems you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already but, if you feel your iDSD is defective, you will need to confirm that the same thing happens (at least in Foobar with the same settings) when using the latest usb driver and firmware (ver 2.23 and firmware 5.0).

If you're unable to install the latest driver and firmware then you'll definitely need to use another computer. If you can duplicate the issues there, then (imo) I'd recommend sending it back for replacement or warranty fix (whichever applies).

Other then that, kinda hard to fully fault iFi at this point when you're running both older drivers AND older firmware.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4,642 of 9,047

If you're unable to install the latest driver and firmware then you'll definitely need to use another computer. If you can duplicate the issues there, then (imo) I'd recommend sending it back for replacement or warranty fix (whichever applies).

2nd that. It will be a very clear indicator on whether the problem is on your PC or micro iDSD.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #4,643 of 9,047

2nd that. It will be a very clear indicator on whether the problem is on your PC or micro iDSD.

My money is still on the cable and specifically on the plug/socket contacts at the iDSD end.

The symptoms described are exactly what I experienced and it was always caused by movement of the cable.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4,644 of 9,047

Seems you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already but, if you feel your iDSD is defective, you will need to confirm that the same thing happens (at least in Foobar with the same settings) when using the latest usb driver and firmware (ver 2.23 and firmware 5.0).

Other then that, kinda hard to fully fault iFi at this point when you're running both older drivers AND older firmware.

Actually I was already running driver 2.23 and went back to 2.20 just in case it was a driver issue. Didnt help . Also I had already done a firmware update from  the previous one to the 4.06. Didnt help either so I stopped there.

Anyway I will install the latest firmware , buy a new cable , reinstall foobar and try to find an another computer to test with. (though that may be difficult) 

Any other suggestions about more things I could do would be very helpful.

Thanks for the responses guys

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,645 of 9,047
Guys you will not believe what I just noticed!!
When I switch off my bathroom light it's when the stops happen! I loaded a game. When I go and switch off my bathroom light I see the micro's light change from green to white and back to green and sound stops! Same happens with tidal and foobar. Just like  I have described it in the previous posts.

I tried other lights in the house but its the bathroom light that makes it happen.
What the heck?? Bad electric circuit or something?
Now I have to figure out if it happens only with the switch off of the light and not generally in random times.

Edit: The change of the micro's light from green to white and back to green doesn't happen always. Now that I keep testing it it remains green but the sound still stops

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,646 of 9,047
  Guys you will not believe what I just noticed!!
When I switch off my bathroom light it's when the stops happen! I loaded a game. When I go and switch off my bathroom light I see the micro's light change from green to white and back to green and sound stops! Same happens with tidal and foobar. Just like  I have described it in the previous posts.

I tried other lights in the house but its the bathroom light that makes it happen.
What the heck?? Bad electric circuit or something?
Now I have to figure out if it happens only with the switch off of the light and not generally in random times.

Edit: The change of the micro's light from green to white and back to green doesn't happen always. Now that I keep testing it it remains green but the sound still stops

That should be a pretty obvious power spike caused by the light, can't imagine it can be good for your PC or any sensitive electronic in the house either. I'll suggest you get the light fix or replaced. Aging fluorescent light can have obvious hum, especially if the ballasts is about to fail. If if it is just a simple incandescent light bulb (which means it is more likely a problem of low power supply rather than power spike caused by fluorescent light's circuitry), you might want to consider getting either an universal power supply (UPS) or automatic voltage regulator (AVR) for your PC.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #4,647 of 9,047
i am just wondering which filter with pcm gives the warmest sound, well i like the sound as warm as i can get

by all means i like the ifi, and if they release a 2nd version with a much better bass boost i am all in, as their bass boost is barely even noticeable

many of us on this site like bass so we are audiophile bassheads and the audeze to shine needs a good bass booster for basshead like me, and yes a basshead can still like an audeze can,

if you are an audiophile who does not like basshead level bass please do not criticize the ones who do like alot of bass

now back to the filter question why is it there so much confusion about which filter with pcm gives tahe warmest setting????

well and to others who told me to try it myself, well dont you think i tried hundreds of times, but to me honestly i do not hear any difference whatsoever, so i am asking just to get the theory of things

I with you all the way.  now that i'm going into the audiophile realm, I still yearn for that bass.  I came from jvc sz2000 and th600.  If, the lcd-2 had just a tad more bass, it would be the perfect set for me.

well thats what lead me to this thread. I wanted a powerful amp with a bass boost.  

So how is the lcd-2 matched up with the micro?  I'm using a lyr2 with my lcd's, and to me the perfect listening volume is between 11 and 2 o'clock, depending on how loud the recording was recorded at.  At that level i feel it has the best dynamics, synergy, and loudness.  I know you guys say it gets loud with the micro,  but does it have the fullness to the sound (mainly bass, whats affected most when under powered)  when a set of cans is amped properly?

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,648 of 9,047
I have purchased the micro for a month now and I have been really happy with its performance that is getting better every day with every listening! I am in the market to puchase an amplifier to add to the situation and I am considering the i can wich is class a amp and I believe it will be a good match with the micro. I am also thinking about a nice tube amp in the price range of i can wich is about 350 euros. I could use an insight...would I hear a great difference between the class A amp of the ican and a tube amp at this price range? Do you have any suggestions? 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back