iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #2,341 of 9,047
Warmth of the amp section of the Micro iDSD...

If you are using a computer as a source for the Micro, and you are worried about the "lean" characteristics of the Micro's headphone amp section, it's worthwhile trying an equalization plugin with your playback software to tweak your tonal balance. You might get a sound that you like without having to resort to additional external amps. Worth a try if you can do a free trial of the software.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,342 of 9,047
The micro iDSD has a recessed USB A Male plug. This was chosen to match the Apple CCK/Lightning cable.

micro USB OTG to USB A Female cables are readily available.

Make sure the cable is 'OTG'. Regular types won't work.

Will this cable work?....
http://www.amazon.com/LIFETIME-WARRANTY-Electronics-Micro-Cable/dp/B005GGBYJ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1421466576&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+OTG+cable+with+a+USB+A+Female 

That's the one - assuming the Note 3 has a micro USB port.

Don't forget to switch the iDSD on before connecting it to the phone.

The phone will probably not power or charge the iDSD. You must charge the iDSD first.

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #2,343 of 9,047
Hello,

I'll receive the iDSD micro and the Ibasso DX50 soon and remember that I need a cable/adapter that is not included in the original packaging of both, but I can't remember what it was and I couldn't find a hint. I want to got the "digital way" that the iDSD is my DAC.
Maybe one of you can tell me what I need?

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #2,344 of 9,047
  my LCD2s like the turbo mode. To me I swear it sounds even more lively. Problem is the volume is too loud (below 8:30 o'clock I get channel imbalance)

Try IEM Match stettings and you have more room to play with the volume :wink:

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,345 of 9,047
my LCD2s like the turbo mode. To me I swear it sounds even more lively. Problem is the volume is too loud (below 8:30 o'clock I get channel imbalance)

It's the gain that makes the difference, not the amount of power. You set the volume low right? That means only small power were used, at high gain.

All amplifier sound differently on different gain setting. For example, my DX90, at low gain it doesn't sound as good as at high gain. I always set it at high gain now, better dynamic, better control, and sounds tighter and punchier.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #2,346 of 9,047
Hello,

I'll receive the iDSD micro and the Ibasso DX50 soon and remember that I need a cable/adapter that is not included in the original packaging of both, but I can't remember what it was and I couldn't find a hint. I want to got the "digital way" that the iDSD is my DAC.
Maybe one of you can tell me what I need?

3.5mm to RCA coaxial cable. The DX50 should come with one.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #2,348 of 9,047
Hm...after some research I thought I need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm from the Coax Digital Output (DX50) to the 3.5mm Input (DX50).

I'm sorry… but what? 3.5mm is the Coax Digital Output of the DX50 but the iDSD has RCA Coax Digital Input.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,349 of 9,047
Reading through the posts, I saw many good comments from various posters regarding the sound quality and sound stage of the micro iCan.  How does the nano iCan compare to the micro iCan?  The nano is the one that's actually portable, so we're interested in whether the sound quality and sound stage are the same or if they are quite different.  I tend to be more interested in the portable versions of the gear.
gs1000.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #2,350 of 9,047
  Reading through the posts, I saw many good comments from various posters regarding the sound quality and sound stage of the micro iCan.  How does the nano iCan compare to the micro iCan?  The nano is the one that's actually portable, so we're interested in whether the sound quality and sound stage are the same or if they are quite different.  I tend to be more interested in the portable versions of the gear.
gs1000.gif

From what I've read, the onboard amp of the iDSD is overall better than that of the nano iCan. I do wish to hear the Micro iCan but I, like you, want a fully portable setup or at least transportable.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,351 of 9,047
gs1000.gif

They are quite different, micro iCan is IMHO much better.

Warmth of the amp section of the Micro iDSD...

If you are using a computer as a source for the Micro, and you are worried about the "lean" characteristics of the Micro's headphone amp section, it's worthwhile trying an equalization plugin with your playback software to tweak your tonal balance. You might get a sound that you like without having to resort to additional external amps. Worth a try if you can do a free trial of the software.

Well not so easy, tonal density and warmth (even harmonic richness) are not adjustable by equalizer. EQ can help to improve to add some body to the mids and bass, but won't be able to achieve harmonic manipulation by tube stage to add 'real sense of warmth'.  Anyway, all EQ plugins don't sound the same either 
wink_face.gif

Now I'm listening to:

ifi micro iDSD as DAC, line out  >  ifi micro iTube set as buffer (0 dB)  >  Violectric HPA V200  >  Beyerdynamic T1

Honestly, I'm really impressed! 
L3000.gif

Lively, pretty good dynamic, silky smooth, right amount of warmness, good tonal density, good clarity, transparent, and spacious.  Really enjoyable sound signature! Fantastic setup! 
Well the dynamic, transient, and tightness still behind AT-HA5050H, but overall, the above setup sounds wonderful. Musical and really enjoyable!
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2,354 of 9,047
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions.  So, the basic order of great to not-so-great in terms of purely the sound quality & sound stage of the amp (not DAC) would be:
1. micro iCan
2. micro iDSD
3. nano iCan

Something like that?

IMHO, Yes.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #2,355 of 9,047

They are quite different, micro iCan is IMHO much better.

Well not so easy, tonal density and warmth (even harmonic richness) are not adjustable by equalizer. EQ can help to improve to add some body to the mids and bass, but won't be able to achieve harmonic manipulation by tube stage to add 'real sense of warmth'.  Anyway, all EQ plugins don't sound the same either 
wink_face.gif

Now I'm listening to:

ifi micro iDSD as DAC, line out  >  ifi micro iTube set as buffer (0 dB)  >  Violectric HPA V200  >  Beyerdynamic T1

Honestly, I'm really impressed! 
L3000.gif

Lively, pretty good dynamic, silky smooth, right amount of warmness, good tonal density, good clarity, transparent, and spacious.  Really enjoyable sound signature! Fantastic setup! 
Well the dynamic, transient, and tightness still behind AT-HA5050H, but overall, the above setup sounds wonderful. Musical and really enjoyable!
L3000.gif

Very nice! I have always been curious about how a Violectric amp would sound together with the iFi gear.

Regarding both of our comments about "tonal balance" and "tonal density", we are really speaking about sound quality, and this is a highly personal and individual concept without real exact science behind it. All we can really say is that there are many ways to get there from here. 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back