ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 11, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #1,366 of 2,267
hi, i just want to ask please when I use a headphone with a 4 pin balanced cable, is it advised that the source ( dac ) that is connected to ifi ican pro to be balanced as well, or using the source with rca instead will be the same

my question is if my source is connected to ifi ican pro via RCA is it better to use the single ended inputs on ifi ican pro than using the 4 pin balanced input
If your DAC is balanced it makes sense to use it's balanced outputs to connect to the iCan Pro, then use a balanced headphone cable w/XLR 4-pin to output from the iCan Pro. This will provide a true balanced signal path at each step. If your DAC is not balanced there may not be any true difference, but it's still useful to output 4-pin from iCan Pro to your HP to increase power output, other potential advantages.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,367 of 2,267
By the by anyone looking for an iFi Pro iCAN I a gonna be letting mine go. Ive gotten rather big into the electrostatics and my iCAN is being used as a bass booster for them right now which just doesnt seem fair to such an awesome. If you are interested feel free to PM me. Unit is only bout 6 months old and is already registered through iFi for the warranty.

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #1,368 of 2,267
Has anyone tried iCan Pro as a preamp in a speaker setup? Any impressions or comparison?

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,369 of 2,267
Has anyone tried iCan Pro as a preamp in a speaker setup? Any impressions or comparison?
I am using iCAN Pro for both headphone amp and preamp for speaker system. It enhances more dynamics, depth, wider soundstage than solo use of the premain amp. But my main objective to introduce iCAN Pro was tube sound. I wanted to listen tube feel for legendary recordings since my premain amp does not have tube. In addition, 3D switch in the iCAN Pro is also useful. Dedicate 3D circuit for preamp mode is equipped which is independent from its for headphone. See the ifi's website for detail. It is very convenient for me because I cannot set up my speakers ideally since they are installed in the living room.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,370 of 2,267
I am using iCAN Pro for both headphone amp and preamp for speaker system. It enhances more dynamics, depth, wider soundstage than solo use of the premain amp. But my main objective to introduce iCAN Pro was tube sound. I wanted to listen tube feel for legendary recordings since my premain amp does not have tube. In addition, 3D switch in the iCAN Pro is also useful. Dedicate 3D circuit for preamp mode is equipped which is independent from its for headphone. See the ifi's website for detail. It is very convenient for me because I cannot set up my speakers ideally since they are installed in the living room.

Thanks good to know. I wonder if you can hear some major differences when you use tube mode or SS mode.

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,372 of 2,267
Of course harmonics of the tube. It is relatively milder effect than headphone but still nice feeling to my ear. I am switching SS, tube and tube+ depending on the source or simply mood.

Thanks again. I guess my last question is about the comparison among some other good products, including Schiit Freya, PS audio BHK pre, Rogue audio RP-7, Benchmark, and so on. Since they are all differential balanced preamps, the topology might be a bit different. Have been searching for the comparison for a long time, very little review or impression mention this part. I guess most people just using iCan Pro as a headphone amp instead of a preamp.

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #1,373 of 2,267
Thanks again. I guess my last question is about the comparison among some other good products, including Schiit Freya, PS audio BHK pre, Rogue audio RP-7, Benchmark, and so on. Since they are all differential balanced preamps, the topology might be a bit different. Have been searching for the comparison for a long time, very little review or impression mention this part. I guess most people just using iCan Pro as a headphone amp instead of a preamp.
Sorry but I do not have experience to compare other amps you mentioned. I chose iCAN Pro straight forward because the onboard functions are suit for my purpose and I like ifi's sound in first place (I own ifi's DACs). For preamp mode, the sound signature varies depending on your set up so I recommend you to try it if you can.

This review focuses to the preamp mode (It is written by Japanese. Use google translate). I hope it helps you.
https://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201608/01/17561.html

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,374 of 2,267
ifi _dsf7856 ph3.png

I knew little of the potential benefits a pre-amp might offer in a fully integrated amp chain until I used my Pro iDSD/Pro iCAN rig (running Tidal FLAC/MQA or HQPlayer DSD) through my Denon 4520 home amp, connecting my MacBook Pro. In one word: astonishing. A system I have owned for a dozen years got a new lease on life. It did to my stereo what I had experienced through my headphones. In other words, it was completely transformational, bringing sound to life in a much more analogue way. Instruments become more present in your lounge room. The flute, for instance, in my DSD of Dire Straits -- Ride Across The River, seems to hypnotically fill the room. Should you dial up the XBASS your speakers will develop bass slam. The Pro iCAN is a capable pre-amp. And in a home stereo setup really does sound beautiful.

I took this pic to try convey the impact. It sounds as good as it looks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,375 of 2,267

I knew little of the potential benefits a pre-amp might offer in a fully integrated amp chain until I used my Pro iDSD/Pro iCAN rig (running Tidal FLAC/MQA or HQPlayer DSD) through my Denon 4520 home amp, connecting my MacBook Pro. In one word: astonishing. A system I have owned for a dozen years got a new lease on life. It did to my stereo what I had experienced through my headphones. In other words, it was completely transformational, bringing sound to life in a much more analogue way. Instruments become more present in your lounge room. The flute, for instance, in my DSD of Dire Straits -- Ride Across The River, seems to hypnotically fill the room. Should you dial up the XBASS your speakers will develop bass slam. The Pro iCAN is a capable pre-amp. And in a home stereo setup really does sound beautiful.

Nice. Great pic btw.

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,376 of 2,267

After reading your post, I gave it a try, using the Pro iCAN as a preamp. Never thought about doing that before.

I have my iMac going to the Gumby into the Pro iCAN into the Decware Mini Torii II. I set it on double tube mode but I don't think they are utilized when in Preamp mode. The sound coming out of the Decware seemed to lose the usual tuby sound that they normally let out. It was very clean but less tuby and analog to me. Maybe I need to give it a longer listen.

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,377 of 2,267
I set it on double tube mode but I don't think they are utilized when in Preamp mode.

That would really surprise me. I get distinctly different sounds depending on the mode, the XBASS, the 3D, etc back screw of the DAC. Is the back screw of the Pro iDSD (sorry I assume you have this) set to Hifi Fixed or? How do you connect DAC (Pro iDSD) to Pre-Amp (Pro iCAN) I use 3-pin XLR. How do you connect pre-amp to stereo amp (I just use unbalanced out to the amp's Ext. In)? What is your music source?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #1,379 of 2,267
That would really surprise me. I get distinctly different sounds depending on the mode, the XBASS, the 3D, etc back screw of the DAC. Is the back screw of the Pro iDSD (sorry I assume you have this) set to Hifi Fixed or? How do you connect DAC (Pro iDSD) to Pre-Amp (Pro iCAN) I use 3-pin XLR. How do you connect pre-amp to stereo amp (I just use unbalanced out to the amp's Ext. In)? What is your music source?
No, I don't have the Pro iDSD. Gumby is connected to the Pro iCAN with a pair of 3 pin xlr but then that is connected to the Decware tube amp with rca only since it is not a balanced amp but it is dual mono amps. I'll try it some more and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back