ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,381 of 2,267
Probably mentioned previously but... Do the balanced preamp outs auto mute when headphones are connected? If they don't, can they be muted?
Both answers are NO. According to the user manual,
The XLR and RCA outputs on the back over full preamplifier function, but are not switched of if headphones are connected. Nonetheless, the Pro iCAN should be used either as preamplifier or headphone amplifier, as generally a mixed use setup is not recommended.
UNQUOTE

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,382 of 2,267
dear ican Pro users or IFI staff,

i'm seeking a technical advice.
A) irregardless of the gain setting (0db,+9db or +18db) and volume level, would it be OK to use 4pin XLR connection and a single ended headphone connection (3.5mm or 6.35mm jack) simultaneously, listening to 2 headphone simultaneously? would iCan Pro get short circuit since it uses true balanced circuit and all the output sockets are fully operating at the same time! Ignoring the output power send to both headphones, my concern here is any chances of short circuit the iCan pro?

B) can i plug a headphone adapter (4pin XLR to 6.35mm TRS jack) into the 4pin XLR socket of iCan Pro without shorting the ICan pro?
[ iCan Pro ==> 4pin XLR adapter ==> 6.35mm TRS headphone cable ==> single ended headphone ]

would anyone enlighten me ? i'll appreciate everyone whom spend time & effort to advise me on above questions.

Thank you : - )
-philip

Jul 22, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,383 of 2,267
hello, please I would like to have some help on the tubes GE 5670W I changed 2 times the tubes by exactly the same references, and the amp is put in security light red, new tubes bought on ebay, when I I replaced the original tubes, the amp worked again without problem, did this happen to others, or am I the only one,
yesterday I ordered a pair of tube to my French importer who should have them from iFI pro, thank you for the advice,

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,384 of 2,267
would it be OK to use 4pin XLR connection and a single ended headphone connection (3.5mm or 6.35mm jack) simultaneously

Using the single-ended 6.35mm TRS x 2 jacks for unbalanced headphones, the Pro iCAN is able to drive two separate headphones simultaneously, no problem.

However, one person connecting their unbalanced headphones to, say, the 6.35mm jack at the same time as another listening to their balanced headphones via the 4-pin XLR will probably make for a lively debate. I can't imagine it providing the extremely capable Pro iCAN any issues in terms of delivering on what it promises. But bear in mind the person listening via the 4-pin XLR connection will likely think the volume is MUCH louder than the person listening via the 6.35mm jack. You might struggle to find a happy and sustainable compromise, which will defeat this amp's purpose.

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #1,385 of 2,267
Using the single-ended 6.35mm TRS x 2 jacks for unbalanced headphones, the Pro iCAN is able to drive two separate headphones simultaneously, no problem.

However, one person connecting their unbalanced headphones to, say, the 6.35mm jack at the same time as another listening to their balanced headphones via the 4-pin XLR will probably make for a lively debate. I can't imagine it providing the extremely capable Pro iCAN any issues in terms of delivering on what it promises. But bear in mind the person listening via the 4-pin XLR connection will likely think the volume is MUCH louder than the person listening via the 6.35mm jack. You might struggle to find a happy and sustainable compromise, which will defeat this amp's purpose.
hello,
Thank you Syd. appreciate your detail answer. you have great listening fun ahead! :)
regards,

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,387 of 2,267
I'm new to this thread but I've owned my pro ican since March. I'd like too know where the tube section stacks up against other tube amps. Also what tubes are good options over the stock ones? Using Verite in regular tube mode if that helps. I haven't used the tube section until today so I know the burn in period of possible 40hrs. Does switching out the tubes void warranty?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,388 of 2,267
img_0394.jpeg

Relaxing with Milo

Hey Guys,

Today we are talking about an absolute Swiss army knife of an amplifier, the iFi Audio Pro iCAN. Not only does this amp sound great, it can do pretty much….everything!

iFi Audio is a British company that was founded in 2012. It is a subsidiary of AMR Audio, which has a long history of making stereo equipment. iFi has always struck me as a company that focuses more on headphone and personal audio, but that does seem to be changing lately, and they are branching out into other areas (see the iFi “Aurora” all in one for an example of this.) Their products are innovative, and seem to prioritise functionality as well as sonic performance.

The “Pro” line up launched with Pro iCAN that we are talking about today, but has since seen the introduction of the iESL (for electrostatic headphones) and the Pro iDSD DAC (which I will be talking about in a new review in a few days, another great bit of gear.)

The Pro iCAN, which I will just refer to as the iCAN from here on out, is a small desktop sized amplifier. It features, not one, but two true tube modes, as well as a fully solid state mode. Talk about flexibility! You can switch between these modes on the fly with a flip of the switch, and it takes about 5 seconds for each mode to engage. The iCAN also features the best implementation I have heard of iFi’s “XBass” feature, as well as their take on crossfeed, the “3D” feature. I didn’t use the “3D” feature too often, but it does work well on some tracks, and the “XBass” feature is a tasteful boost at three different levels. I think it really depends on the headphones you are using when it comes to determining which of these levels and features you will want to use, and of course, your personal preference will play a role as well.

img_0465.jpeg

Almost every connection you can think of!
The iCAN is a bit of a mini powerhouse, it doesn’t take up much space, but it puts out 14,000mw at peak output levels, and with its 3 gain settings, can run everything from sensitive IEMs, to the Hifiman Susvara and HE6. Not many amps can boast such flexibility. Now, if you try to listen at enthusiastic levels, with both the “XBass” and “3D” features on with the Susvara or HE6, the amp will likely go into protection mode as it is starting to struggle, but apart from that it will have no troubles driving them.

I think the iCAN has a similar sound signature across its three output modes, SS, Tube, and Tube +. The two tube modes are noticeably different from the SS mode, but they seem to maintain a similar sound signature and are not warm and gooey as some people expect tubes to be. The two tube modes seem to round off the edges of notes and make things a bit easier to listen to, but it will really depend on your headphones and preferences as to which mode you will prefer. I ended up using Tube mode with my Abyss, but SS mode with the Susvara. With something like the Focal Utopia, I could see Tube mode being used, and with the ZMF Eikon, maybe SS mode. The flexibility the iCAN offers, again, is tremendous.

img_0466.jpeg

I would describe the Pro iCAN as a fairly neutral sounding amp, perhaps leaning to colder and clinical at times, but not in a bad way, its just not a warm, fuzzy, and thick sounding amp.

The iCANs technical performance was quite impressive, from dynamic swings to detail rendering. It perhaps doesn’t make the Susvara and hard to drive headphones slam as hard as a speaker amp, but it has no troubles powering them, and does more than an acceptable job at bringing out the positive qualities of said headphones.

I tried comparing the iCAN to my iDSD Black Label, which is also made by iFi. The Micro iDSD BL is a fantastic transportable all in one unit, I really love it. However, perhaps it is not fair to compare it to a standalone desktop amp, but as both units are made by iFi I gave it a shot. As an amp only, the Pro iCAN, apart from being what seemed like infinitely more powerful, was more detailed and neutral sounding. The Micro iDSD seemed to have a tiny bit bloom that the Pro iCAN did not, as well as less detail. I still hold the Micro iDSD BL in very high regard as a transportable all in one, but its amp section was indeed beaten quite handily by its big brother. No surprises there I suppose.

iFi Audio has come up true Swiss army knife of an amp with the Pro iCAN, and it really doesn’t do anything wrong! It can power sensitive IEMs without hiss, it can power most of the hardest to drive headphones on the market, it has bass enhancement and crossed implementations, and is both a SS *and* tube amp. I think it sounds fantastic, especially for the sale prices I have seen it available at on occasion (about $1299USD, and about $1000USD used.) I have even seen one unit sell for $850USD! At these prices, this amp is not only an excellent recommendation, but is a very solid value compared to some of the other options on the market.

e8cbvw6.jpg

With a tower of planar goodness!
The iFi Pro iCAN gets a very thorough recommendation from me, especially if you are looking for “one amp to rule them all.” I could see this amp being a reviewers dream come true, as it is so truly flexible. Great job and congratulations to the team at iFi for creating such a stand out product. I really enjoyed my time with the Pro iCAN, and to this day, consider purchasing one on occasion, even though I don’t truly need it!

Thanks for taking the time to read this review.

Sep 29, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #1,389 of 2,267
I'm enjoying this amp very much. I was planning to sell it to make room for the GS-X mini, but having the bass boost feature makes it difficult to even give that up.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,390 of 2,267
I purchased the Ifi Pro solely as a linestage in a high end system having used the iTube2 with a Western Electric 396A valve as a preamp and a 47 Labs 4707 input selector for more inputs plus an extra output.... This was so good I decided to get the Pro.... The Audiogon link below shows the context/associated equipment in which it is used and for my purposes it is a Swiss Army knife of a preamp.... For a dedicated vinyl head this kit is a godsend as vinyl recordings are so varied and the Pro can be adjust as required on the fly.... In terms of fidelity it is superb and if made by the likes of companies like Nagra it would imo be 2-3 times the price, so for me an absolute bargain especially if purchased used.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1112

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,392 of 2,267
I purchased the Ifi Pro solely as a linestage in a high end system having used the iTube2 with a Western Electric 396A valve as a preamp and a 47 Labs 4707 input selector for more inputs plus an extra output.... This was so good I decided to get the Pro....The Audiogon link below shows the context in which it is used and for my purposes it is a Swiss Army knife of a preamp.... For a dedicated vinyl person a godsend as recording are so varied and the Pro can be adjust as required on the fly.... In terms of fidelity it is superb and if made by the likes of companies like Nagra it would imo be 2-3 times the price so for me an absolute bargain especially if purchased used.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1112
I am not sure what you are referring to in that link. Can you please clarify for me? Thanks.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,394 of 2,267
Hi does the ifi pro pair well with the LCD 2 r2? I know this amp may be a bit of overkill for those phones, but eventually I will move up the LCD food chain. I also have cheaper amps now and I am not impressed. I am interested in the ifi pro, the GSX-mini and the Violectric V280 to possibly pair with my headphones. Any help here would be appreciated.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,395 of 2,267
Hi does the ifi pro pair well with the LCD 2 r2? I know this amp may be a bit of overkill for those phones, but eventually I will move up the LCD food chain. I also have cheaper amps now and I am not impressed. I am interested in the ifi pro, the GSX-mini and the Violectric V280 to possibly pair with my headphones. Any help here would be appreciated.
I had the ifi and v281 I have the mini and sonic performance was best out of the mini. It powers all my headphones with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back