ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 22, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,156 of 2,267
Don't worry about what gain setting and what volume setting to use... just try all and make your own determination about what sounds better... it's a personal thing with your system components and your ears. Just like which interconnect sounds better... or, which tubes sound better. If you don't try, you will never know what's better. But, when you do try, listen to the music with your ears, not what someone says it ought to be. Enjoy! :o2smile:

May 22, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,157 of 2,267
The amp is pure analogue, but the volume is one of the most critical component for the sound, and less than 5% is “bit perfect” in the mid-fi range, because the high end volume ciructs is often to costly for a integrated amp in the mid range price point.

A volume knob is only true efficent at serten levels where it can pass through the best SNR and on a Pro Ican the most efficent setting is a 12 O’clock.

If i remember correctly; for every 3 db the volume nobe restains the signal , you miss out 1 bit in resolution, that is an average estimation / conversation, to understand what loss you will have.

Ok, so it is "equivalent to 1 bit resolution" and not physically losing bits of data. However, if listening at 80 db or so of volume, that also is only equivalent to 13-14 bits regardless of what your source bit resolution is. But I can understand where iFi recommends best amp performance with respect to SNR and THD at certain volume. Every amp has a sweet spot.

May 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,158 of 2,267
Yes every non Linear “bit-perfect” volume circuit got its peak where it got as little restriction, often between 12-03 o’clock, if its not a pure linear bit perfect volume.
Often this can be ashived in digital domain before the D/A conversation in a DAC like PS Audio Direct Stream , Chord DAVE , Hugo etc, but you can find it more or less in Ultra high end integrated / pre amps with only analog circuit solutions also, like this Balabo Amp vol:
A53C6DC4-E6FB-4EC9-A4C1-2FB8D361020C.jpeg

Many DAC’s got very poor digital volume circuits, so check what type of volume circuit your DAC have before deciding which volume should be the master.

If the DAC as often is not a pure bit perfect vol. circuit, then set it on max output, and lower the gain if possible on the dac and the amp so you travel near the 10-12 volume range when listening on normal levels.

Here you can learn a bit more about in in simple terms:

You can heare pretty easy that the volume is very unbalanced on the Pro Ican from 0 -9.00 o’clock where you get more signal in the left channel vs the right for example.

So fix the volume on 12 o’clock and then adjust the level on the source dac if it is bit perfect, for minimum loss. That is the best guideline.

Here is a easy explination on how a potentiometer / vol pot works in simple terms:

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,159 of 2,267
Just because it's come up here and mine only has about a month and a half or 2 months left in its warranty, does anyone else have a slightly static-y volume pot? I notice a bit of crackling on mine when I turn it, although it's silent otherwise. And it's somewhat inconsistent, seems to perhaps vary with the temperature and signal, just a bit. It's gotten a bit better over time, but it's still a bit of an annoyance. Additionally, I notice that when the amp is on, almost an exact reproduction of any vibration at all that travels through the nob goes right through to the left channel of whatever headphones are plugged in. I can even just lightly rub my finger on it and hear it, like a stethoscope. But only when on. Also, the volume knob has enough play in it, which I just realized as I was typing this, that I can move it up and down about 2-3 mm. The source knob has no play at all, or almost none.

I love mine otherwise, but I do wonder if I have a volume knob that's bad, or perhaps just not mounted correctly. It does seem rather sensitive to distortion as well, I can send it into protection mode pretty easily with certain sounds, not sure if the feedback circuitry that measures this might be impacted by a volume knob. Not really a problem, as it doesn't prevent me from listening to anything, but interesting to think about. Using a tone generator is the easiest way to produce this.

@iFi audio , would love to have your input.

May 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,160 of 2,267
For the volume of DAC and Amp staff, it is quite opposite to what I heard and use to be.
Most of the recommendation is to max out the DAC and player (software, such as foobar2000)
and adjust amp only.
According to @Beolab, it would be some work to find the best combination in the gear chain?
So, to begin from here, say to fix the iCan Pro to 12 o'clock, then back to DAC then player
for a proper listening volume?

May 22, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,161 of 2,267
For the volume of DAC and Amp staff, it is quite opposite to what I heard and use to be.
Most of the recommendation is to max out the DAC and player (software, such as foobar2000)
and adjust amp only.
According to @Beolab, it would be some work to find the best combination in the gear chain?
So, to begin from here, say to fix the iCan Pro to 12 o'clock, then back to DAC then player
for a proper listening volume?

If the DAC as often is not a pure Linear bit perfect vol. circuit, then set it to max output, and lower the gain if possible on the dac and the amp, so you travel near the 10-12 volume range on the Amp when listening on normal listening levels for minimal resistance and loss = Max SQ

So check your source component if it got a variable volume output that is Linear or not.

First choice:
Use the dac ( source component ) as master volume if its linear ,

Second best choice:
If the source is not pure linear bit perfect, then set it to the max output, and set the Gain on the amp to the lowest setting, and try to come as close as possible to 10-12 o’clock on the vol on the Pro Ican at normal listening levels.

May 22, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,163 of 2,267
hello, subject very interesting volume setting on the ifi pro ican, it is true that the volume potiometer is a resistance above all,
if I reduce the potentiometer of my dac, to increase that of the ifi pro is that I will not lose information in relation to my dac,
I have an audeze LCD4, I made several tests by putting me on the position 0 db ifi pro ican, potentiometer of the ifi pro at 12 o'clock, and my dac T + A dac8 at 80% of volume, the feeling of the music is different, less stréssante, more analog, but the detriment of the holding in the grave, on the classic it is not a problem, it is true that on several elements to find the good settings this is not obvious ,
Ouvrir dans Google Traduction

Commentaires
Google Traduction
https://translate.google.fr/?hl=fr
Ce service gratuit de Google traduit instantanément des mots, des expressions et des pages Web du français vers plus de 100 autres langues.

Reverso | Traduction gratuite, Dictionnaire, Grammaire
www.reverso.net/text_translation.aspx?lang=FR
Reverso.net : service de traduction gratuite en Anglais, Allemand, Espagnol, Italien, Russe, Hebreu, Portugais, Chinois, Japonais, Français.

Reverso Context | Traduction en contexte anglais vers français
context.reverso.net/traduction/anglais-francais/
Obtenez la traduction en anglais-français de millions de mots et d'expressions en contexte avec des exemples authentiques, grâce à notre moteur de recherche ...

traduction - Traduction anglaise – Linguee
https://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/traduction.html
De très nombreux exemples de phrases traduites contenant "traduction" – Dictionnaire anglais-français et moteur de recherche de traductions anglaises.

Traduction - Le Conjugueur
https://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/traduction
Page de traduction gratuite. Traducteur langue français, anglais, espagnol, allemand, italien, portugais...

Google Traduction - Google Translate
https://translate.google.com/m/translate?hl=co
Le service gratuit de Google traduit instantanément des mots, des phrases et des pages Web de l'anglais vers plus de 100 autres langues.

en - traduction - Dictionnaire Français-Anglais WordReference.com
www.wordreference.com/fren/en
en - traduction français-anglais. Forums pour discuter de en, voir ses formes composées, des exemples et poser vos questions. Gratuit.

Traduction de texte | PONS
https://fr.pons.com/traduction-texte
Traduisez en un clin d'oeil des éléments de phrases ou des phrases entières. Les traductions de texte sont gratuites sur PONS.eu! Traduisez des textes à partir ...

Traducteur anglais Traduire anglais Traduction anglais - Anglais facile
https://www.anglaisfacile.com/traducteur-anglais.php
Traducteur d'anglais, Traduire l'anglais, Dictionnaires Traduction d'anglais.

Traduction en ligne LEXILOGOS >> français anglais allemand ...
https://www.lexilogos.com/traduction_multilingue.htm
traducteur en ligne de texte, forum d'aide à la traduction dans toutes les langues : français, anglais, allemand, espagnol, italien, néerlandais, portugais, grec, ...

Recherches associées à traduction
traduction anglais

traduction francais anglais

google traduction 2017

traduction arabe français

traduction espagnol français

traduction allemand français

gogle traduction

tamoul traduction

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Suivant

May 23, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,164 of 2,267
Tried to play volume knob between my DACs and amp (iCan Pro).
The +9db option on iCan Pro has better punch on lower end, +18db
seems over top and gets worse (than +9db) IMO.
Setting iCan Pro at 12 o'clock gets better dynamic than at 9 o'clock
in my brief playing.
This is interesting to play the combo to experience the difference it
can make.

May 27, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,165 of 2,267
Louder volumes almost always sound more dynamic -- it's not a factor of the amp, as gain settings do not affect the sound quality. It's simply a factor of being louder and how it affects your brain. It's worth reading up on HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function).

May 31, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,167 of 2,267
Had a question about the ifi pro, if I use the unbalanced inputs would it convert the signal to balanced output to use the full power of the amp? Or does it only work as SE in and SE out?
You can use the balanced outputs with SE inputs, works great. You can do 3 unbalanced RCA and 1 XLR, and they all go to the various headphone outs.
I have 3 DACs hooked to mine, don't know why, but I do, lol.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #1,168 of 2,267
Over the last 48 hours my iCan pro has developed a repetitive clicking / hum noise audible in solid state mode only, disappears completely with switch to tube modes. I just opened a ticket with iFi, but was wondering if anyone else has had this occur and what the issue / solutions were?

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #1,169 of 2,267
You can use the balanced outputs with SE inputs, works great. You can do 3 unbalanced RCA and 1 XLR, and they all go to the various headphone outs.
I have 3 DACs hooked to mine, don't know why, but I do, lol.

I see, thanks.
Reason I'm asking is I have a V280 I wanted to compare to the ifi pro. The V280 phase converts the SE input to the balanced out to take full advantage of the entire circuitry and power of the amp.

I wanted to be sure the ifi does the same? Since the balanced lines in the ifi are completely separate and I don't see any mention of phase conversion I figured it's just using half the circuitry if using unbalanced inputs.

For reference I'm going to be using a Chord qutest so I have to use unbalanced inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back