ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,126 of 2,267
One of these days I might just have to try the Hugo 2... but, for now I am having a blast with the PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC with the Pro iCan. It's the best I've ever had in a headphone system... with the Audeze LCD-3F. It takes about 300 or more hours to get the DirectStream broken in... but, when it comes around, it is awesome!

May 7, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #1,128 of 2,267
One of these days I might just have to try the Hugo 2... but, for now I am having a blast with the PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC with the Pro iCan. It's the best I've ever had in a headphone system... with the Audeze LCD-3F. It takes about 300 or more hours to get the DirectStream broken in... but, when it comes around, it is awesome!

Nice. I'm jealous. That DAC has killer reviews. A little pricey for me.

I was thinking about getting the RME ADI-2 DAC or maybe the iFi Audio Pro iDSD for the Pro iCan, as those two are more affordable. Would free up my h2 to be more mobile.

May 10, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,129 of 2,267
Hello,
I have also done tests, on a big amp, rather than on the ifi pro, you have the power reserve, more dynamics at the expense of transparency, micro information and some information disappear, there will be the amp + adapter + additional module cable, and after my tests I went back to the pro ifi ican, every solder, every additional cable of the electronic components of the information disappear,
after modifying an element of my system I redo a direct comparison, ie it is necessary to connect my LCD 4 audeze on my T + A dac8, all medium and high frequencies are beautiful and a great wealth of information micro detailed but the low frequencies are very limited, so obligation to have an amp but hey, maybe I'm wrong
Tony

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,130 of 2,267
I will consider swapping the tubes but likely only to notably warmer tubes. I'm curious if that will provide better contrast with the Pro iCan. Will need to do some research to see what might be suitable.

The amp is very nice looking in person. From the picture on iFi's website it doesn't look that attractive to me. The chassis looks much better in person.

I guess, based on your sale thread, you gave up on the iCan pretty quickly. :triportsad:

May 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,131 of 2,267
You got to put some real good music hours on the Pro iCan to get it to sound like it is capable of sounding. It will be hard to beat when it settles in. And, given that you can tweak that sound with its flexibility, it's the best bang for your bucks that can be had.

May 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,133 of 2,267
I guess, based on your sale thread, you gave up on the iCan pretty quickly. :triportsad:
That is correct! It's still a great amp that'll hopefully go to a good home sooner than later. After getting the RME ADI-2 DAC I found that I am happy enough with the all in one setup for solid state. And I hope to add in a tube amp later.

May 13, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,134 of 2,267
That is correct! It's still a great amp that'll hopefully go to a good home sooner than later. After getting the RME ADI-2 DAC I found that I am happy enough with the all in one setup for solid state. And I hope to add in a tube amp later.

Interesting! I was thinking of getting the rme adi-2 dac as the dac for the ifi audio pro ican, to drive the t1 headphones as those headphones seem to require a lot of power to sound good. Maybe once i get the tme adi-2 dac, i won’t need the ifi pro ican. I was originally thinking of getting the more expensive ifi pro idsd, but at $2400, it’s a tad pricey.

May 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,135 of 2,267
Interesting! I was thinking of getting the rme adi-2 dac as the dac for the ifi audio pro ican, to drive the t1 headphones as those headphones seem to require a lot of power to sound good. Maybe once i get the tme adi-2 dac, i won’t need the ifi pro ican. I was originally thinking of getting the more expensive ifi pro idsd, but at $2400, it’s a tad pricey.
Probably depends partly on the headphones and also on how discerning your hearing is. The Pro iCan is also much more powerful so I’m sure the advantages show on some headphones.

I find the differences between the Pro iCan and ADI-2 DAC minimal on the Auteur. The HD650 I didn’t bother comparing directly as I only use it on the rare occasion I feel like listening via headphones in bed. When Xbass and 3D are used then obviously there is some difference but then again the RME has EQ and crossfeed options that may provide a similar effect.

The Pro iDSD does look really nice. I was tempted as well, but I find that perhaps my ears aren’t discerning as others. I’m not majorly bothered by the change from Onyx to ADI-2 DAC. I think the Onyx might sound a little more natural but the differences are pretty minor to me.

Either way I do feel the Pro iCan is great amp. While some people note the poor value at $1800 I think given that you can get one lightly used for $1000-1100 it’s actually a pretty good value. Loaded with options and power. Versatile. Very compact and aesthetically pleasing. Dead silent.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,136 of 2,267
I have an adi-2 dac set up with my ican pro and it’s a great combination, but I dare say the ican is a bit of overkill if you only intend to use it with one pair of cans. Especially with all the options and features on the adi-2 you may be better off pairing it with the Beyerdynamic A20 for example and saving yourself hundreds of bucks.

May 13, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,137 of 2,267
I have an adi-2 dac set up with my ican pro and it’s a great combination, but I dare say the ican is a bit of overkill if you only intend to use it with one pair of cans. Especially with all the options and features on the adi-2 you may be better off pairing it with the Beyerdynamic A20 for example and saving yourself hundreds of bucks.

Excellent point.

I generally use the the iCan Pro with the HD800 (xlr 4-pin) and the T1 (6.3mm). The HD800 runs really with it. I also use it with my TR80/250 once in a while mostly to double check some instruments in some tracks. It's fun to use it with the kse1200 that I just received a few days ago too. I like the iFi iCan Pro. Not sure I'd be willing to give it up, though, maybe. All these headphones might be driven well by the ADI-2 alone, so who knows. The one I'm really curious about is the hd820 which I'm hoping to get in maybe two months or so. I'd have to get a custom cable for it since the Pro iCan and ADI-2 don't have 4.4mm jacks. Right now, I run the H2 as the dac for the iCan Pro, but really want to move the H2 into a mobile solution permanently, without having to plug and unplug connections every time I travel, so hoping to get something else to drive the iCan. Was initially thinking of the iFi Micro iDSD BL, but the feature flexibility of the RME ADI-2 DAC is pretty interesting. And, like I said earlier, the iFi Pro iDSD is more than double the price of the ADI-2, so not really wanting to go that route.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,139 of 2,267
I just discovered something that blows my mind! Ever since getting the Pro iCan... about 3 or 4 months ago, I have never tried driving my LCD-3F's on the highest gain setting... I have gone back and forth on the lowest and middle settings. This evening, for the first time, I flipped the switch up to the highest setting. And, man alive... my sound really came alive! It was no slouch on the lowest setting, where I played it most of the time... and occasionally I tried the middle gain setting. Just this evening, I decided why not try the highest setting... so I did. Now, I won't go back after hearing this highest gain setting. I hear great focus, great transparency, and even more black background. Have you tried it with your phones? And, especially anyone using the LCD-3F's, I would like to hear from you.

Just so you know, besides the good Pro iCan, I have my music program Amarra 4 Plus on my 2016 MacBook Pro. My music files are stored on an external solid state drive. I use a PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC. I'm really pleased with the sound from this system. Mighty fine!

May 17, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,140 of 2,267
I just discovered something that blows my mind! Ever since getting the Pro iCan... about 3 or 4 months ago, I have never tried driving my LCD-3F's on the highest gain setting... I have gone back and forth on the lowest and middle settings. This evening, for the first time, I flipped the switch up to the highest setting. And, man alive... my sound really came alive! It was no slouch on the lowest setting, where I played it most of the time... and occasionally I tried the middle gain setting. Just this evening, I decided why not try the highest setting... so I did. Now, I won't go back after hearing this highest gain setting. I hear great focus, great transparency, and even more black background. Have you tried it with your phones? And, especially anyone using the LCD-3F's, I would like to hear from you.

Just so you know, besides the good Pro iCan, I have my music program Amarra 4 Plus on my 2016 MacBook Pro. My music files are stored on an external solid state drive. I use a PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC. I'm really pleased with the sound from this system. Mighty fine!
I had similar experience with HEK V2, I used to leave ican pro in low gain thinking it has better SQ, but I had tried middle gain setting, and it sounds much better, so I am using middle gain setting all the time.
Now with your impression about high gain, I will definitely try it for both hek and lcd-3f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back