ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Apr 26, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,111 of 2,267
Hi guys

Has anyone experience with Adi2 pro REM?
My friend wants to buy it ,i thinking I can pro has advantage in SQ for HD800S but when his searching and asking some people ,They told him Adi2 pro better in SQ :)

Please guide me thanks
Regards Mori

I own both the iCan Pro and the RME ADI-2 Pro. However, I do not own the HD800S.

The ADI-2 Pro is drier than the iCan, but also more technically proficient with a little more detail. It also has many different features to adjust the sound.
The iCan has a more well-rounded and fleshed-out sound than the ADI-2 Pro, especially in tube hybrid mode.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,112 of 2,267
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,113 of 2,267
Does anyone out there own both the iCan Pro and the Mjolnir 2. With both being balanced... and both using 2 tubes... and both capable of solid state only... it would be good to compare them with the same DAC. Of course, cables also matter, but I would like to know how they compare. Several years ago I had the first Mjo for awhile, but too long even to venture a credible guess. And, I'm sure those Schiit boys have upped their game with the Mjo 2.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #1,115 of 2,267
Hi guys

Has anyone experience with Adi2 pro REM?
My friend wants to buy it ,i thinking I can pro has advantage in SQ for HD800S but when his searching and asking some people ,They told him Adi2 pro better in SQ :)

Please guide me thanks
Regards Mori

Oh wow, I just read some reviews on the REM Adi2 Pro. Cool features. Not as much power as the iCan Pro, but more equalizer controls, which is kind of nifty. I find that software equalizer in Swinsian really reduces audio quality through the hw dac, so I like the idea of doing equalizer after digital data gets to the H2, either at the DAC stage or the AMP stage. It's very cool that the REM Adi2 Pro has it. 2W out of unbalanced is about the same as H2, so far far below iCan Pro's 14W output. Also, similarly to the H2, there's no balanced xlr output. Still very cool.

Also, REM Adi2 Pro is DAC & AMP. iCan Pro is AMP only, so maybe in a way, more cost effective.

I have been thinking of getting a Schiit Loki, and putting it between the H2 and iCan Pro to get some equalizer adjustment after the DAC but before the AMP, but, I'm not sure. It's not expensive at $149.

If your friend doesn't need a DAC, and doesn't need balanced, that is also an option:

DAC -> Loki -> iCan Pro. The iCan Pro and Loki costs less than the Adi2 Pro.

Just a random thought.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,116 of 2,267
What DAC do you use with this combo?
I'm currently using the Hugo 2. Before I got the Hugo 2 I was using the Mojo with great results as well.

May 3, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #1,117 of 2,267
how many db does bass boost add at the different settings, i read the manual but there is no mention bout how many db

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,118 of 2,267
Just purchased one of these yesterday. Should have it within a week, I assume.

I plan on reading through this thread and maybe I’ll find my answer there, but I’m wondering what the recommended tubes are for this amp if I bother tube rolling. Impressions on said tubes compared to stock are also appreciated. Thanks!

how many db does bass boost add at the different settings, i read the manual but there is no mention bout how many db

I believe iFi’s website says 12dB.

May 3, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,119 of 2,267
Just purchased one of these yesterday. Should have it within a week, I assume.

I plan on reading through this thread and maybe I’ll find my answer there, but I’m wondering what the recommended tubes are for this amp if I bother tube rolling. Impressions on said tubes compared to stock are also appreciated. Thanks!

I believe iFi’s website says 12dB.

Check out dcguy73 ‘s recent posts. He’s done some tube rolling with at least 2 alternatives.

May 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,120 of 2,267
Check out dcguy73 ‘s recent posts. He’s done some tube rolling with at least 2 alternatives.
thanks. I did read through those on the way to work, but the Bendix are a lot more than I’m looking to put into tubes currently. I think I'll more than likely stick with the stock tube which appears to have a very long lifespan and be well liked. Might purchase 1 backup pair to have on hand just in case!

I'm really looking forward to this amp. I expect the solid state mode will be pretty similar to my IHA-6, but I didn't buy the Pro iCan to use in full solid state mode. Definitely planning on making use of the tube modes and trying out the other features as well. I feel the IHA-6 is a very nice amp but just slightly bright for my tastes. Hopefully the Pro iCan can tip things just a tad in the other direction. That's my goal. Not looking for a major change but a change that will give me the synergy I've been looking for to complete my chain.

May 5, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,121 of 2,267
Got my Pro iCan in today. So far impressions are positive. I need to spend more time with the amp before writing anything more detailed. It seems to be just a little warmer than the IHA-6. Exactly what I wanted.

The Xbass sounds good at off and 10hz. 20hz gets to be a bit much and 40hz is just a great way to make most anything sound awful.

The 3D feature is neat. I prefer it off for the most part. It's not bad at all at 30/+ but the two higher settings add a lot of brightness that I am not looking for.

I've been trying to compare solid state vs tube vs tube+ for a while. The differences are minimal to my ears. The Xbass and 3D settings make a much more noticeable impact than the solid state vs hybrid modes. If anything I would say the tube modes make things sound very very slightly more rich, but it borders on placebo. It is barely there.

The Pro iCan seems to be dead silent with my Auteur. I can hear the noise floor of the IHA-6 on both low and high gain, but on all 3 gain settings on the Pro iCan it is very quiet.

May 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,122 of 2,267
You will totally enjoy the Pro iCan... congratulations on making the plunge. And, you are right, after much playing with the different settings, you will probably settle in on maybe one click up on each. I have found that to be what sounds good to my ears. When you have listened for quite awhile, you might want to upgrade the tubes. I did... and I really enjoy what the new tubes bring to the Pro iCan... but, here again it want be earth shattering... it will be a subtle upgrade to its abilities. Enjoy!

May 6, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #1,123 of 2,267
You will totally enjoy the Pro iCan... congratulations on making the plunge. And, you are right, after much playing with the different settings, you will probably settle in on maybe one click up on each. I have found that to be what sounds good to my ears. When you have listened for quite awhile, you might want to upgrade the tubes. I did... and I really enjoy what the new tubes bring to the Pro iCan... but, here again it want be earth shattering... it will be a subtle upgrade to its abilities. Enjoy!
I will consider swapping the tubes but likely only to notably warmer tubes. I'm curious if that will provide better contrast with the Pro iCan. Will need to do some research to see what might be suitable.

The amp is very nice looking in person. From the picture on iFi's website it doesn't look that attractive to me. The chassis looks much better in person.

May 6, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,124 of 2,267
I will consider swapping the tubes but likely only to notably warmer tubes. I'm curious if that will provide better contrast with the Pro iCan. Will need to do some research to see what might be suitable.

The amp is very nice looking in person. From the picture on iFi's website it doesn't look that attractive to me. The chassis looks much better in person.

Anyone have experience with this and the Chord qutest yet?

May 6, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,125 of 2,267
Anyone have experience with this and the Chord qutest yet?
I feed my Pro iCan with the Hugo 2 and I love the pairing. Should be similar sounding to the Qutest and it should work very well with the Pro iCan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back