ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Apr 6, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,081 of 2,267
The Pro iCAN is definitely a great amp, that sounds larger than its diminutive size might suggest. I ended up sticking with my Master 9 at the end of the day as I felt it drove the Susvara with a bit more authority, but I do miss what I felt were better technicalities from the Pro iCAN.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,082 of 2,267
[QUOTE = "ufospls2, post: 14156066, membre: 413115"] Le Pro iCAN est définitivement un ampli génial, qui sonne plus grand que sa petite taille ne le laisse supposer. Je me suis retrouvé avec mon Master 9 à la fin de la journée car je sentais que ça conduisait le Susvara avec un peu plus d'autorité, mais je ne vois pas ce que je pensais être de meilleures techniques du Pro iCAN. [/ QUOTE]

The Pro iCAN is definitely a great amp, that sounds larger than its diminutive size might suggest. I ended up sticking with my Master 9 at the end of the day as I felt it drove the Susvara with a bit more authority, but I do miss what I felt were better technicalities from the Pro iCAN.
hello, is it possible to tell us a little more and the Susvara, and please the Susvara has been compared to which helmet, thank you,

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,083 of 2,267
Duplicate post

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,084 of 2,267
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,085 of 2,267
8B7AC691-604B-4141-8111-5E83D3759A3D.jpeg
[QUOTE = "ufospls2, post: 14156066, membre: 413115"] Le Pro iCAN est définitivement un ampli génial, qui sonne plus grand que sa petite taille ne le laisse supposer. Je me suis retrouvé avec mon Master 9 à la fin de la journée car je sentais que ça conduisait le Susvara avec un peu plus d'autorité, mais je ne vois pas ce que je pensais être de meilleures techniques du Pro iCAN. [/ QUOTE]

hello, is it possible to tell us a little more and the Susvara, and please the Susvara has been compared to which helmet, thank you,

Perhaps one like this?:

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,086 of 2,267

I've posted quite a bit about my experiences with the Susvara in the Susvara thread, which dcguy73 has linked to. They are a wonderful headphone. I hope that helps :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,087 of 2,267
Okay, it's that time again -- time for tube rolling in the iCan Pro! This time I upgraded to Bendix Red Duet tubes (pricey pricey) and WOW! Another huge leap forward in sound, even measuring from the audio upgrade my first tube rolling session (the GE 2C51 tubes) provided. The Bendix tubes are a bit larger than the 2C51 (no adapters needed still) and run warmer. Very detailed from top to bottom with excellent (and controlled) bass (hard to believe you can get that with a tube). More changes to come as they break in, I'm sure. Pics below.

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic4.jpg

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,089 of 2,267
Okay, it's that time again -- time for tube rolling in the iCan Pro! This time I upgraded to Bendix Red Duet tubes (pricey pricey) and WOW! Another huge leap forward in sound, even measuring from the audio upgrade my first tube rolling session (the GE 2C51 tubes) provided. The Bendix tubes are a bit larger than the 2C51 (no adapters needed still) and run warmer. Very detailed from top to bottom with excellent (and controlled) bass (hard to believe you can get that with a tube). More changes to come as they break in, I'm sure. Pics below.

Hey dcguy...
Great job! Can you tell us how much "pricey pricey" is? And... where did you get the Red Duets?
Another question...
Since you have had the circuit board in hand, how hard would it be to detach the tube board and mount it facing upward with the tubes sticking out the top? Do you think it's possible?
Thanks for sharing...

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,090 of 2,267
Hey dcguy...
Great job! Can you tell us how much "pricey pricey" is? And... where did you get the Red Duets?
Another question...
Since you have had the circuit board in hand, how hard would it be to detach the tube board and mount it facing upward with the tubes sticking out the top? Do you think it's possible?
Thanks for sharing...

I found them for 250.00 each online

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,091 of 2,267

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,093 of 2,267
Je suis totalement d'accord que les tubes sont à l'extérieur, les tubes horizontalement et le dégagement de température des tubes, j'ai un doute sur la durée de vie des composants, notamment sur les changements de référence des tubes, .....

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,094 of 2,267
Hey dcguy...
Another question...
Thanks for sharing...

Possible, but not advisable because one would need to:
  • Modify the solid aluminum case because stock is not tall enough to support tubes in an upright position. Even stock tubes. If you are thinking, just go sans case, that will be difficult too because the case is one solid piece extruded frame and not a clamshell where one could just unscrew the top. You would need to add something to the bottom of the PCB to keep the pins from shorting and additional braces to the front and rear ports since the case is the primary stabilizing structure keeping the sockets from ripping out as you insert/remove cables.
  • Hand wire jumpers from the tube socket board to the amp motherboard. This is the easiest part but your choice of wire and wire jacket are critical as the wire will get extremely hot and likely melt most plastic jackets thereby creating a real fire hazard.
  • Add stabilizing legs under the tube socket board so the socket pins don't touch any electronics underneath. Most likely attached to motherboard with strong glue so that the tube socket board doesn't rip out when swapping tubes. Irreversible mod.
  • And the obvious - immediate loss of warranty. In fact I'm not sure if iFi won't void warranty if we swap tubes.
I thought about this too, but the above realization killed that idea pretty quickly LOL.

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,095 of 2,267
Hey dcguy...
Another question...
Thanks for sharing...

Possible, but not advisable because one would need to:
  • Modify the solid aluminum case because stock is not tall enough to support tubes in an upright position. Even stock tubes. If you are thinking, just go sans case, that will be difficult too because the case is one solid piece extruded frame and not a clamshell where one could just unscrew the top. You would need to add something to the bottom of the PCB to keep the pins from shorting and additional braces to the front and rear ports since the case is the primary stabilizing structure keeping the sockets from ripping out as you insert/remove cables.
  • Hand wire jumpers from the tube socket board to the amp motherboard. This is the easiest part but your choice of wire and wire jacket are critical as the wire will get extremely hot and likely melt most plastic jackets thereby creating a real fire hazard.
  • Add stabilizing legs under the tube socket board so the socket pins don't touch any electronics underneath. Most likely attached to motherboard with strong glue so that the tube socket board doesn't rip out when swapping tubes. Irreversible mod.
  • And the obvious - immediate loss of warranty. In fact I'm not sure if iFi won't void warranty if we swap tubes.
I thought about this too, but the above realization killed that idea pretty quickly LOL.

Thanks, @bflat! That's a great explanation of why it's probably not doable to mount the tubes vertically.

BTW, the Red Duet tubes were $300 for a (slightly used) pair from Tim @ Kitsune Hifi. There were actually a few for sale on this forum recently, but I had already purchased my set from Tim when the sale popped up on the forum. I'm not sure you could convince Tim to part with his remaining Red Duets (they're NOS and unopened)...but he does have (whisper whisper) some other tube upgrades that he's willing to part with. Ask him!

You know, I feel bad that some iCan Pros end up on the sale block on Head-Fi, sometimes because people don't appreciate them enough. Like many others, I lust after more expensive "premium" amps that people rave about, but I've come to respect this amp as a pretty good product for the money. It is very versatile and has a lot of potential (just like any other amp with tubes) to sound better and/or different if you are willing to get your hands dirty and experiment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back