ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #256 of 2,267
Bryston is known for being bright and harsh. I really liked the IFI ICAN SE and it didn't sound like the above and I imagine this to be better. I am prone to believe you. 
i have both the bryston bha1 and the ifi ican pro. you are right about the bryston being slightly bright and harsh. the ican pro is the smoother, more detailed, luscious, and holographic sounding amp of the two. the ican pro is also clearly head and shoulders above the ican se.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #258 of 2,267
  I really ask myself what is wrong with this guy. How can someone be so massively wrong with
everything??? The ican pro is neither slow nor has a small soundstage without "air".
He should let his ears checked by a doctor.

Some really good amps passed my desktop and the ifi ican pro surpasses them all.
(I sold my Auralic Taurus MK II because the ifi was clearly the better amp.)
It has one of the widest and deepest soundstages i've ever heard and sounds chrisp,
fast and chrystal clear without any digital harshness...... just right !
If someone likes an artificial uber-bright sound signature with thin bass,
like this guy, the ifi may be wrong.

Thank you for sharing your diverging opinion because this translation of the Asian review made me doubt
whether I had made the right choice in purchasing the ifI iCAN Pro.
Now I feel reassured 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #259 of 2,267

Thank you for sharing your diverging opinion because this translation of the Asian review made me doubt
whether I had made the right choice in purchasing the ifI iCAN Pro.
Now I feel reassured 
happy_face1.gif

No mention of Asian brand names but some write their own reviews on Asian forums. This is why even I in hong kong go on western forums. Trust your own listening.

I always try to compare against other brands but don't mention them here the ones that don't do so well.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #260 of 2,267
I own a Yulong. Even the iCAN SE sounds better. More precise and airier with wider and deeper soundstage.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #263 of 2,267

Ha! No, the object is to keep your ears so clean all of the time that you get the was while it is still oil, before it hardens in your ear. Although, every once in awhile I do a more thorough cleaning to make sure nothing was missed.

I have a bit of tinnitus that is actually only cured by listening to my cans on the regular. It's not bad tinnitus, though. I only hear it when I pay close attention.

Too much standing in front of amps and playing in my younger days. Heh.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #265 of 2,267
Weird. Doesn't happen to me and my he-6. Sounds like it's defective or cant pull enough power from your mains. How stable is your house electricity?

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #267 of 2,267
Weird. Doesn't happen to me and my he-6. Sounds like it's defective or cant pull enough power from your mains. How stable is your house electricity?

House electricity is solid. This unit is from the UK and I'm using it in the US, so the one thing I had to do was change the 3 pin power cable to a 2 pin power cable. Maybe that's the issue, I'll try some different cables or use the 3 pin with a 2 pin wall outlet adapter?

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #268 of 2,267

So you guys at iFi are saying the amp doesn't shut off? Because when things get loud with my HE-6 headphones (which is admittedly hard to drive) my new iCan Pro amp absolutely shuts off, even after a few minutes of it being switched on. I assumed this was a safety feature, unless my amp is defective?

For the record, I haven't had this issue with the iCan Pro and my easier to drive headphones (LCD-2F, Denon 7k, etc).

You need to take into account that especially higher settings of X-Bass cause very high power levels, more so if combined with high 3D settings. 

Also, only one headphone should be connected at any time, with the exception of having two identical 6.3mm jack equipped headphones.

If the iCAN Pro is clipping continuously/frequently the protection circuitry will eventually kick-in, as clipping with music is asymmetric and leads to what is in effect DC offset in the Output. It is DC that kills headphones (or speakers) when clipping. So the iCAN Pro moves to protect the headphones (not itself).

As the clipping on the iCAN Pro is rather soft and recovery is instant clipping is not as audible as with some Solid-State headphone amplifiers and it is fairly easy to overdrive the Amplifier without noticing.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #269 of 2,267
Anyone have a chance to compare the Pro to the Jotunheim? Shore, the Pro have tube feature, XBass, and 3D, which are all cool features, but $ for $, how the Jot fare against the Pro?

Also, I think iFi will be at RMAF. Will there be an opportunity to compare the iCan SE to the iCan Pro? I hope so, as I've narrowed my next amp purchase down to the SE, the Pro, or the Jot (unless something cooler comes along :). A balance iCan SE would be awesome, by the way (nudge nudge)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back