ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #241 of 2,267

1 the remote does not really allow to adjust the volume. I followed the advice above in this thread and opened a support ticket on their site, hoping they will ship me a replacement.
Hopefully this issue is or will be fixed with the newer shipments

I received the replacement remote which ifI nicely shipped to me (I did not have to send back the first one).
It exactly looks the same, but the buttons work perfectly (the volume goes on changing as you keep pressing a button).

Thank you for your professional service, ifI !

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #242 of 2,267
Also, where is iFi based and where are they made?

They are located in the United Kingdom.
I thought that their products are manufactured in the UK as well, but I am not sure about this.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #243 of 2,267

I thought that their products are manufactured in the UK as well, but I am not sure about this.

Looks like China actually. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #244 of 2,267

Looks like China actually. 

You are right,
I checked a few packages which I preserved (in case I need the warranty)
and they all say: "assembled in China".

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #245 of 2,267
Found a pretty detailed mini review here

"iFi Pro iCan Balanced Headphone Amplifier Mini Review

IMG_2543_N_156542_1.JPG

You can view our range of Headphone Amplifers here
You can view the Pro iCan Headphone Amplifier Here

We've recently received one of iFi's brand new Pro iCan Headphone Amplifiers / Pre-Amp's so thought we'd run it through it's paces to see how it sounds and works. Feel free to pop by our Wellington Store if you would like to have a listen.

The iCan is marketed as a reference level product, so it has been reviewed as such. We compared it using our most resolving headphones and sources, and compared directly against the widely lauded Moon 430HA fully balanced headphone amplifier.

Basic Info / Features:

The Pro is apparently an all analogue, fully balanced design, with several different modes of operation. It features a pure class A (Or as iFi terms "tube-state") section, a relatively serious tube section based around the famous GE 5670 tubes, as well as a more "luxurious" tube+ mode. According to iFi this Tube+ mode has a lower loop gain, which minimises negative feedback, creating an even more "tube-like" sound.

One particularly nice feature of the Pro iCan is that you can switch between these modes from the front panel, while the unit is operating. Meaning if you change songs, you can also change the amplifier mode to the amplifier mode which sounds best for the particular piece of music.

The Pro iCan also has huge variety of different front panel connection options, including four pin balanced, 3 pin balanced, two 6.3mm Outputs and two 3.5mm outputs, as well as a 3.5mm connection capable of powering a 4 pin TRRS balanced 3.5mm cable if necessary. Basically, this means whatever headphone connection you can dream up, the iCan will power it.

The iCan also features selectable xBass (A form of bass boost circuit) and what iFi terms 3D Holographic, which is a circuit designed to replicate the imaging found in stereo speakers, in headphones. A little more on these adjustments in the sound section of the review.

As many readers know, it's easy and cheap to whack on some balanced inputs and outputs onto a device, but a whole other kettle of fish to implement a fully balanced internal design. With demanding headphone listening in particular, the balanced operation can actually significantly improve the measured sound quality of headphones.

From Tyll Hertson (Inner Fidelity.com):
"Basically you are driving both sides of the coil in each earpiece. This means that the load looks half the impedance to a single sided drive scheme. Since both signals are driving you effectively double the slew rate (which is the transient speed of the drive signal). But maybe most importantly, you get rid of the common connection in the ground the two drivers share. The impedance between the common connection on the ground side of each driver to the actual ground of the power supply allows a common signal to develop on the ground side of each drive effectively providing crosstalk between left and right channels."

Many of these features also apply to the pre-amp section as well. Including the fully balanced design and volume control, as well as separate xBass and 3D Holographic circuits for the pre-amp outputs. It also has a basic remote control.

Build Quality Impressions

The Pro iCan seems overall to be built to a very high standard. The volume control and front panel connections all seem solid and sturdy. The aluminium casing is slightly lightweight but is quite a nice finish with interestingly shaped cut-outs. The input selection and other switches and dials all seem sturdy to touch.

IMG_2549_N_156598_1.JPG

I found this video showing a full tear-down of the headphone amplifier, which appears to show iFi have really gone all out with the design and construction of this unit.

The iCan is supplied with a separate switch mode power supply. Usually this isn't the best sign as they are typically of average quality, however iFi are well known for producing much higher quality switch mode power supplies than their competitors. It's not too large so doesn't get in the way of other wall warts. 

The base of the unit is an interesting nylon design, presumably to help the amp grip to a surface. However, due to the relatively compact size of the unit it seems to move around a fair amount when attaching balanced connections. You will typically need to hold the amp with one hand while connecting or disconnecting anything.

P10039_156664_1.jpg

The Pro iCan's extremely impressive internal construction.

In use, the iCan seems to get quite hot. A fully class A headphone amplifier will typically do this, it's probably not something to seriously worry about, but generally speaking it will be worth keeping an eye on. I wouldn't leave your headphones (or anything else) on top of the unit.

Sound:

Starting with the Solid State Mode, the first headphones we tried were Sennheiser HD800's. Immediately, a very large, wide sound-stage is evident, with instruments placed quite accurately. Bottom end control was excellent although there wasn't quite the impact and slam achieved with Moon's 430HAD. Mid-range and vocals seemed quite present, and spooky accurate. This amp is quite capable of spine-shivering moments.

My only gripe with this combination was that the top end seemed a little grating. It seemed very clean and extended, but just a little too much emphasis. Sometimes cymbals felt like they completely cut through the rest of a recording. It's worth noting that when listening to the same tracks in the standard tube mode, this emphasis seemed to disappear completely, leaving a very smooth response (to my ears)

The tube+ mode to my ears, is a little heavy handed. However, I can see how it would be fun with certain bright recordings or aggressive sounding headphones, such as the Grado RS-2. 

IMG_2546_N_156590_1.JPG

This image shows some of the front panel controls of the iCan Pro. The amplifier class selector is below the Xbass selector

Changing now to Oppo PM1's, we used both the stock OCC cable and Wireworld's custom eclipse balanced cable. In the solid state mode, with the balanced cable is basically some of the best sound I have heard from these headphones. Some of my personal downsides with the PM1's are basically their lack of very extended bottom end and an overly smooth top end. The power, control and finesse through the frequency range really show off these headphones.

Experimenting with the selectable bass boost, I found the 10Hz setting actually quite pleasant and subtle with these headphones on a variety of recordings. Both the 20Hz and 40Hz settings were far too heavy handed for my preference. With some particularly meager headphones, or for bass lovers, this might still be useful I suppose.

Experimenting further with the 3D holographic setting, I found it to be surprisingly subtle and effective. Normally, I am militantly against cross-feed circuits, which typically muddy the low end and confuse top end detail. This is the first I have found that is genuinely effective at creating a slightly more focused image, without taking away other aspects of a recording. I highly recommend you try this feature as with many recordings it will make them seem a lot more natural. My preferred setting with both the HD800's and PM1's was the 30 Degree setting.

Conclusion

This is certainly a reference class headphone amplifier. No headphone or recording is perfect, so a tool that can make imperfect headphones and recordings sound bearable, while still showing off the best parts of top end headphones.

A good quality source and balanced cables for any headphones that are capable, are highly recommended to get the most out of this unit. Set up correctly, this headphone amplifier is capable of taking already great headphones to dizzying heights."

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #247 of 2,267
Here are impressions vs the @CayinIHA-6 except this one is in favor of the Cayin
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/133700-ifi-ican-pro/&prev=search

"My little you know, so here will be more closely. For me, ican Pro yes game very vividly, saturated sound, at the expense of detail and resolution. For this is an awful lot of bass, it does not matter whether a transistor or lamp, which is very slow. Its signature sound is something similar to Bakoona HPA21 and tube mode even more saturated with the diameter of the detail and resolution much greater than ICAN, except that HPA21 is faster and a little harder bases. 

Cayin iHa6 plays an equal, it is faster and has better detail and resolution. It is not so that I CAYIN the eighth wonder of the world, because the sound of his I do not like is zabardzo for smooth, without the clutch, and when listening to classical or anisonów to me the most in the przeskadza, for example. Listening to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony under the baton of Carlos Klebiera I felt like I was listening to a mantra or some other relaxing music instead Symphony, the more even Beethoven's Fifth. IHA6 is much better for me, amplifier and cheaper, the price of ICAN Pro you can buy eg. The whole set CAYIN or attaining much better adhesion amplifiers with dac'ami. Wróciiwszy yet ICAN is on the "Caravan" with the definitive Whisplash played correctly it lacked the speed of "attack" and dynamics, as if the song was released in slow motion. Lyn Stanley album "Lost in Romance" was also badly cast, because yes nasyciło preach Lyn, but he was ejected on the front, just caught up with bass instruments. Chris from us, even though he likes bass sound, but it has to be for him a well-controlled bass said about iFi that is mud. 

iFi will be good for someone who likes the sound of a large amount of bass that will slow and the diameter is saturated. He should check carefully with a very bright and fast headphones and dac'ami. 

Headphones used to be 2-LCD and LCD-3, both of the transducers 2016 or descend a little lower, they have less conquered the upper bass and a little more up front. A dac'ki is 2qute and iDAC6."

Further on vs a yulong model

"
 plugged in the end HE1000 - listening only using the XLR inputs in wzmakach (especially to point out, because Yulong is not balanced), and I have to say that the Yulong outclasses ICAN Pro.
What are the differences?
Yulong on PLUS:
- Better controls bass
- More air (!)
- Better holography (!)
- Better mountain
- The message is more coherent
- Diameter is better served than Cayin iHa6
- Lock headphone sockets

Yulong on MINUS:
- Worse housing design
- Potentiometer cries out for better

ICAN Pro:
on the PLUS:
- Definitely execution
- Strong diameter
- Good (only) playing the transistor

minus:
- Too sugary sound
- Too rounded bass
- Too exposed a wealth diameter
- no air
- Poor stereophony
- Only bad holography
- Wherein the high band (?!)

I think I know why this P.Ryka wzmak liked so - likes Audioquest Nighthawk, which I, in turn, do not like.

Much rather Bryston BHA-1 from the IFI 
sad.png
"

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #248 of 2,267
  Here are impressions vs the @CayinIHA-6 except this one is in favor of the Cayin
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/133700-ifi-ican-pro/&prev=search

Thank you very much for posting these translations of reviews, grizzlybeast.
These are so far the most interesting I read,
because these are the first I read which make comparisons with competing products.

I did not understand which Yulong product the reviewer meant, did you?

The comparison with the Cayin is worrisome.
Especially if I gather also the comparisons made across J. Grandberg's reviews of amps at innerfidelity,
this would give the following ranking :
("<" meaning "lesser SQ"  and ">" meaning "higher SQ")
ifI iCAN Pro < Cayin IHA-6 =< Auralic Taurus mkII << Vioelectric V281.
The review of the V281 is very positive, (V281 >>  SPL Phonitor 2. etc.: V281 >> Meridian Prime; V281 >> Luxman P-700u...).
Then maybe I should have bought the V281 which seems to be a winner instead of the iCan Pro?
It is a pity for me that innerfidelity's amp section does not get many updates, because their site looks the most authoritative of all to me.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #249 of 2,267
Yulong a8

Also from what I gather the V281 is not great at resolution and micro dynamics. The V281 has varying views

For me my debate is between the v281, master 9, Ragnarok and this.

However the Rag and M9 are winning right now based on research.

I had the Cayin iHa6 for review and thoughy it was excellent
It just missed out a bit on layering and spaciousness as only performing decently. My Trafomatic had deeper soundstage, better layering, less grain, stronger bass, stronger dynamics, slower speed, equal clarity, less bright but slower decay in the bass. Overall my TH2 was better especially for higher impedance hps where the iha6 was not even a close match.

I simply want a solid state Totl amp now but want a wide soundstage with uber clarity, solid bass and microdetail and microdynamics. I want the HE-9 but its 400 ovet my budget

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #250 of 2,267
I like the slightly dark sound signature of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Does this have a sound signature like that or is it brighter?

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #251 of 2,267
Yulong a8

Also from what I gather the V281 is not great at resolution and micro dynamics. The V281 has varying views

For me my debate is between the v281, master 9, Ragnarok and this.

However the Rag and M9 are winning right now based on research.

I had the Cayin iHa6 for review and thoughy it was excellent
It just missed out a bit on layering and spaciousness as only performing decently. My Trafomatic had deeper soundstage, better layering, less grain, stronger bass, stronger dynamics, slower speed, equal clarity, less bright but slower decay in the bass. Overall my TH2 was better especially for higher impedance hps where the iha6 was not even a close match.

I simply want a solid state Totl amp now but want a wide soundstage with uber clarity, solid bass and microdetail and microdynamics. I want the HE-9 but its 400 ovet my budget

Sounds like you would LOVE the SPL Auditor of you don't want the iCAN Pro. I'm sure it would pair beautifully with your Pavane. Wide, detailed, as pure as virgin snow. The original is still the best, and can be had for a song on the used market. It's Pro Audio stuff, used in mastering houses around the world...yet, it's far from etchy or clinical.

I like the iCAN Pro. I really do. It's no joke, but in the end I just decided that I have no real place for tubes. *shrug*

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #252 of 2,267
Just wanted to drop a quick note as I just received my ican pro yesterday. Still listening to it and getting used to the settings, but I'm happy thus far. Only downside is I wish the volume control did not control the preout's volumes, so now I have to find another way to hook all this up to my dac and preamp.

If anyone has any questions, please ask. Equipment listed below - will plan on posting more info later

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #253 of 2,267
Here are impressions vs the @Cayin
IHA-6 except this one is in favor of the Cayin

[COLOR=282828]"My little you know, so here will be more closely.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]For me, ican Pro yes game very vividly, saturated sound, at the expense of detail and resolution.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]For this is an awful lot of bass, it does not matter whether a transistor or lamp, which is very slow.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Its signature sound is something similar to Bakoona HPA21 and tube mode even more saturated with the diameter of the detail and resolution much greater than ICAN, except that HPA21 is faster and a little harder bases.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Cayin iHa6 plays an equal, it is faster and has better detail and resolution.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]It is not so that I CAYIN the eighth wonder of the world, because the sound of his I do not like is zabardzo for smooth, without the clutch, and when listening to classical or anisonów to me the most in the przeskadza, for example. Listening to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony under the baton of Carlos Klebiera I felt like I was listening to a mantra or some other relaxing music instead Symphony, the more even Beethoven's Fifth.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]IHA6 is much better for me, amplifier and cheaper, the price of ICAN Pro you can buy eg. The whole set CAYIN or attaining much better adhesion amplifiers with dac'ami.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Wróciiwszy yet ICAN is on the "Caravan" with the definitive Whisplash played correctly it lacked the speed of "attack" and dynamics, as if the song was released in slow motion.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Lyn Stanley album "Lost in Romance" was also badly cast, because yes nasyciło preach Lyn, but he was ejected on the front, just caught up with bass instruments.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Chris from us, even though he likes bass sound, but it has to be for him a well-controlled bass said about iFi that is mud.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]iFi will be good for someone who likes the sound of a large amount of bass that will slow and the diameter is saturated. [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]He should check carefully with a very bright and fast headphones and dac'ami. [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]
[/COLOR][COLOR=282828]Headphones used to be 2-LCD and LCD-3, both of the transducers 2016 or descend a little lower, they have less conquered the upper bass and a little more up front.[/COLOR][COLOR=282828] [/COLOR][COLOR=282828]A dac'ki is 2qute and iDAC6."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]Further on vs a yulong model[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828] plugged in the end HE1000 - listening only using the XLR inputs in wzmakach (especially to point out, because Yulong is not balanced), and I have to say that the Yulong outclasses ICAN Pro.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]What are the differences?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]Yulong on PLUS:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Better controls bass[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- More air (!)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Better holography (!)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Better mountain[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- The message is more coherent[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Diameter is better served than Cayin iHa6[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Lock headphone sockets[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]Yulong on MINUS:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Worse housing design[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Potentiometer cries out for better[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]ICAN Pro:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]on the PLUS:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Definitely execution[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Strong diameter[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Good (only) playing the transistor[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]minus:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Too sugary sound[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Too rounded bass[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Too exposed a wealth diameter[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- no air[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Poor stereophony[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Only bad holography[/COLOR]
[COLOR=282828]- Wherein the high band (?!)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]I think I know why this P.Ryka wzmak liked so - likes Audioquest Nighthawk, which I, in turn, do not like.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=282828]Much rather Bryston BHA-1 from the IFI 
sad.png

"
[/COLOR]

I really ask myself what is wrong with this guy. How can someone be so massively wrong with
everything??? The ican pro is neither slow nor has a small soundstage without "air".
He should let his ears checked by a doctor.

Some really good amps passed my desktop and the ifi ican pro surpasses them all.
(I sold my Auralic Taurus MK II because the ifi was clearly the better amp.)
It has one of the widest and deepest soundstages i've ever heard and sounds chrisp,
fast and chrystal clear without any digital harshness...... just right !
If someone likes an artificial uber-bright sound signature with thin bass,
like this guy, the ifi may be wrong.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #254 of 2,267
I really ask myself what is wrong with this guy. How can someone be so massively wrong with
everything??? The ican pro is neither slow nor has a small soundstage without "air".

Some really good amps passed my desktop and the ifi ican pro surpasses them all.
It has one of the widest and deepest soundstages i've ever heard and sounds chrisp,

Bryston is known for being bright and harsh. I really liked the IFI ICAN SE and it didn't sound like the above and I imagine this to be better. I am prone to believe you. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #255 of 2,267

Before any listening session, one part of my ritual is to make sure that my ears are clean (no Q-tips). I cannot stress this enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back