ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Sep 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #271 of 2,267
This is a fantastic little amp. I didn't try the tubes, but it drove the Abyss with authority. It was a bit sterile I thought, but perhaps that would be changed if I had tried the tubes. If anyone is in the market for a cheaper powerful amp, this would get my recommendation. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #272 of 2,267
  This is a fantastic little amp. I didn't try the tubes, but it drove the Abyss with authority. It was a bit sterile I thought, but perhaps that would be changed if I had tried the tubes. If anyone is in the market for a cheaper powerful amp, this would get my recommendation. 

$2200 is cheap?

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #273 of 2,267
Sep 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #274 of 2,267
Sep 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #275 of 2,267
Wouldn't the Raggy be a closer comparison with the Pro? Admittedly there's still a price gap. But the two companies do have very different sonic signatures. Personal tastes will play a big part too.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #276 of 2,267

The used to be true, but now there is the Jotunheim, which must be causing the other HP amp manufacturers to scratch their heads

Well the Jotunheim only does what, 5watts max? Vs. the 14w max (I think) the iCan Pro does. I could be wrong and the Jotunheim has more power, but the 5 watt number rings a bell. They aren't really that comparable.

The Mjolnir 2 and the iFi iCan Pro are more comparable as both have tube vs full solid state options (via the LISST tube thingies.) I listened to the Mjolnir 2 and the iFi iCan Pro back to back, and the iFi wiped the floor with the Mjolnir 2. It wasn't even close, the iFi was SO much better. Granted I was listening to the Mjolnir 2 with the stock tubes, not LISST SS tubes, and was listening to the iFi in SS mode. The Mjolnir might be better with better tubes, or with the LISST I don't know. I haven't heard the Jotunheim yet, but compared to the Schiit amps I have heard, I would go with the iFi every time. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #277 of 2,267

The used to be true, but now there is the Jotunheim, which must be causing the other HP amp manufacturers to scratch their heads

Well the Jotunheim only does what, 5watts max? Vs. the 14w max (I think) the iCan Pro does. I could be wrong and the Jotunheim has more power, but the 5 watt number rings a bell. They aren't really that comparable.

The Mjolnir 2 and the iFi iCan Pro are more comparable as both have tube vs full solid state options (via the LISST tube thingies.) I listened to the Mjolnir 2 and the iFi iCan Pro back to back, and the iFi wiped the floor with the Mjolnir 2. It wasn't even close, the iFi was SO much better. Granted I was listening to the Mjolnir 2 with the stock tubes, not LISST SS tubes, and was listening to the iFi in SS mode. The Mjolnir might be better with better tubes, or with the LISST I don't know. I haven't heard the Jotunheim yet, but compared to the Schiit amps I have heard, I would go with the iFi every time. 

All good points. From what I've read, the general consensus is the Jodie is better then Mjolnir 2 SS. Hard to compare with good tubes. Of course the Pro will sound more tubey than the Jodie, that is expected. I'm just looking at SS vs SS.

As for 14W vs 5W, what cans really need even 5W? What cans need 14W, except maybe the HE6. In most cases 5W is way overkill, let alone 14. The Rag, I believe has more than 14W into 16 Ohm and cost $1700 and does speakers. The Pro cost $2200, doesn't do speakers, but does tubes. I would say the Pro is price competitively, but not cheap.

Maybe it will get some exposure at RMAF and start to get garner some interest. Maybe ifi will send out some review units to obvious folks. Maybe there will be something in the $800 range between the Pro and the SE - hopefully balanced. Under $500 is the new sweet spot for a balanced SS amp, and iFi should be able to compete there.

Sep 11, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #278 of 2,267
I don't know where you're getting $2,200 USD, because the iCAN Pro is $1695 USD. For what it does (a lot) in the hifi world, that's a bargain.

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #279 of 2,267
I don't know where you're getting $2,200 USD, because the iCAN Pro is $1695 USD. For what it does (a lot) in the hifi world, that's a bargain.

That is what I thought, but when I did some googling, I found it for $2200. Thanks for the correction.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #283 of 2,267
When comparing amplifiers continuous power should be taken into consideration which is 4800 miliwatts @16 ohms for iCAN Pro in this case. It isn't clear either if it is per channel or both channels driven.

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #284 of 2,267
I think its a bit unfair to compare a unit that just came out that you haven't heard to another unit that just came out that you also haven't heard, based solely on tech specs.

I have the ifi ican pro and its great. For the price you could have 2 mjolnirs or 1 ragnarok and that right there should tell you something.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #285 of 2,267
I think its a bit unfair to compare a unit that just came out that you haven't heard to another unit that just came out that you also haven't heard, based solely on tech specs.

I have the ifi ican pro and its great. For the price you could have 2 mjolnirs or 1 ragnarok and that right there should tell you something.

It tells me the rag is twice as expensive as the mjoinirs. Sorry, but what's your point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back