iFi Hip-DAC Impressions Thread
May 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #106 of 768
Hi, thanks for your answer!
Well from what I read on the manual part 4. (https://media.ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/hip-dac_manual_Ver1.1.pdf) is that you should be able to power it from USB, no?

This reviewer also posts about it (https://www.techhive.com/article/3534718/ifi-hip-dac-review.html) "In addition to the battery, the hip-dac can be powered directly from the USB port on a computer. [...] To use USB power, connect the hip-dac to the source first, then turn on its power; to use battery power, turn it on before connecting it to the source device."

And to be fair this was one of my main reasons of purchase lol, being able to use it on my desk powered by the computer, or on the go for my phone.
let me try but if I remember I wrote to Ifi and they replied that is not possible to do it like that. I will test now to see.

May 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #107 of 768
let me try but if I remember I wrote to Ifi and they replied that is not possible to do it like that. I will test now to see.

I wrote to them as well, we'll see their answer! But if it's written in the manual it should somehow work...
Thanks for testing it!

May 20, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #108 of 768
I wrote to them as well, we'll see their answer! But if it's written in the manual it should somehow work...
Thanks for testing it!
Wait that's funny, when you look at the manual URL I shared in my previous comment, it was version 1.1. of the manual.
I just went on their website and they give the manual 1.3. there (https://media.ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/hip-dac-User-Manual_Ver1.3.pdf)
"Tip: hip-dac will continue to use battery power even if the USB cable is connected afterwards"

May 20, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #109 of 768
Yeah, the hip-dac always works off the battery. The manual that comes in the box is completely wrong.

May 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #110 of 768
May 21, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #112 of 768
The question I have here is will it charge fast enough in Balanced Mode to be used on a desk? This was a problem I have with the BTR5 where it did not charge fast enough for my use.
That probably depends on what headphones you are going to connect to it. But in any case, iFi does not encourage charging the hip-dac while it is in use.

May 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #113 of 768
So the ifi Hip DAC serves my purpose perfectly for a DAC or head amp on the go. What would be the best ifi amp where I can use the headphone as a 4.4mm while charging the battery? Would the Zen be same? My source is my Windows PC

May 25, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #114 of 768
Got the iFi Hip DAC. Connected to my windows PC.
On PC Tidal playing MQA tracks, iFi indicator light is green, rather than magenta.
I did install the PC MQA driver (from the iFi site).
With my android phone's Tidal via UAPP (same track) it shows magenta color (the sound is much better)

Please advice
Thanks

May 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #115 of 768
By the way, does the Hip DAC sound close to Zen DAC, bearing in mind that they might share one DNA? Any owners of both? Interested in 4.4 mm output only.
I know how Zen DAC sounds.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #116 of 768
Hi, thanks for your answer!
Well from what I read on the manual part 4. (https://media.ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/hip-dac_manual_Ver1.1.pdf) is that you should be able to power it from USB, no?

This reviewer also posts about it (https://www.techhive.com/article/3534718/ifi-hip-dac-review.html) "In addition to the battery, the hip-dac can be powered directly from the USB port on a computer. [...] To use USB power, connect the hip-dac to the source first, then turn on its power; to use battery power, turn it on before connecting it to the source device."

And to be fair this was one of my main reasons of purchase lol, being able to use it on my desk powered by the computer, or on the go for my phone.
The user manual only states that it will go on using battery power even if you connect the usb cable after turning it on. So I assume it still works the same way the nano idsd does, that is, if you turn it on after plugging to usb, it will run on usb power, not the battery.

May 25, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #118 of 768
Can anyone recommend a DAC like the hip that has a battery AND can be used while charging that has a 4.4mm connection? I own the Hip and love it for on the go listening. But would like a home DAP to also use around the house or PC

May 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #119 of 768
By the way, does the Hip DAC sound close to Zen DAC, bearing in mind that they might share one DNA? Any owners of both? Interested in 4.4 mm output only.
I know how Zen DAC sounds.
I can answer myself now - yes, sounds close to Zen Dac.

And yes, hissing is the main problem here. My IEM were dead silent with xDSD and micro idsd bl (IEMatch off). I heard some hissing on the xCAN (2.5 mm output). I tried 4.4 mm output only.

DSC_0105_1.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #120 of 768
And yes, hissing is the main problem here. My IEM were dead silent with xDSD and micro idsd bl (IEMatch off). I heard some hissing on the xCAN (2.5 mm output). I tried 4.4 mm output only.

From ifi-audio.com:
"For those ‘hissy’ IEMs, use the 3.5mm S-Balanced. Enjoy all the benefits of balanced from your single-ended connection."
You should also turn off power match.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back