iFi audio's worst kept secret: the hip-dac!
May 10, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #661 of 794
Great support in my opinion.

Thanks mate!

Found the battery life of my Hip-Dac has really dipped over the past week. Seems to be around 1hr 30min use now. I've reached out to IFi support and waiting to hear back.

I'm curious though, has anybody got experience of IFi support? Am I likely to have a struggle on my hands to get the battery replaced?

I should say, my Hip-Dac is just over 3 months old, so really surprised the battery is giving out already. Not running anything crazy either, just Audio Technica msr7b.

So sorry to hear this. We should be able to replace that battery for you no problem!

May 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #662 of 794
Thanks mate!

So sorry to hear this. We should be able to replace that battery for you no problem!
Cool, good to hear thanks.

Gonna sit tonight and time how long it takes to drain in one sitting. My morning listening is usually interrupted by the kids!

In the meantime I've raised a ticket with IFi support and await their response. Hoping for a good outcome as I've been pleased with the Hip-Dac up until now.

Edit:- got a little under 3hrs tonight. Though that was immediately after taking the DAC off charge. It had previously been sat overnight. So it would appear that the battery is not holding as much charge as expected and/or discharging quicker than expected when not in use. IFi have also responded to my ticket and requested proof of purchase, so good quick response so far!

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #666 of 794
Edit: finally found the box for my old unit and have my answer (I think). The new unit is V1.2, old one V1.0.

Thanks very much iFi, my replacement Hip-Dac arrived yesterday. Very happy with service I've received so far!

I've used it today, and it's prompted a couple of questions to throw out there:-

1) Volume difference. This new DAC is noticeably louder at a given volume. For example, with my Fiio FH5 plugged in I could previously have the volume somewhere around 11 o'clock with Powermatch turned on.
The new one will absolutely blow my head off if I do that. Volume is roughly equivalent at the same position with Powermatch off.
Anybody with 2 Hip-Dacs notice a volume disparity between them or have I uncovered a previously unknown fault with the older unit? Just to be clear, Powermatch works on both units and makes a clear difference, and I never felt the old unit lacked anything in this regard (though I had no frame of reference).

2) sound feels more 'impactful' with the replacement (though I wonder if this more a product of the above observation)

3) the LED that shows signal type, bit rate etc. The colours are different. The old one was a darkish purple for MQA, the new one is a Pink/Magenta colour (as per manual). Yellow is also far better defined, the old one it was almost greeny/yellow. Again, anybody with 2 units found a similar difference?

Battery life certainly seems better, got just under 6hrs off the first use.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #667 of 794
Edit: finally found the box for my old unit and have my answer (I think). The new unit is V1.2, old one V1.0.

Thanks very much iFi, my replacement Hip-Dac arrived yesterday. Very happy with service I've received so far!

I've used it today, and it's prompted a couple of questions to throw out there:-

1) Volume difference. This new DAC is noticeably louder at a given volume. For example, with my Fiio FH5 plugged in I could previously have the volume somewhere around 11 o'clock with Powermatch turned on.
The new one will absolutely blow my head off if I do that. Volume is roughly equivalent at the same position with Powermatch off.
Anybody with 2 Hip-Dacs notice a volume disparity between them or have I uncovered a previously unknown fault with the older unit? Just to be clear, Powermatch works on both units and makes a clear difference, and I never felt the old unit lacked anything in this regard (though I had no frame of reference).

2) sound feels more 'impactful' with the replacement (though I wonder if this more a product of the above observation)

3) the LED that shows signal type, bit rate etc. The colours are different. The old one was a darkish purple for MQA, the new one is a Pink/Magenta colour (as per manual). Yellow is also far better defined, the old one it was almost greeny/yellow. Again, anybody with 2 units found a similar difference?

Battery life certainly seems better, got just under 6hrs off the first use.

Thanks so much for your feedback We appreciate the love and I'm glad you're enjoying a ton out of your new hip-dac!

I'll check in with the team in regards to your questions.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #668 of 794
Hi there.
I recently acquired an ifi hip dac, I’m using it with Tidal and couldn’t be more happy. Now with the release of Apple Music Losless I would want to know how the DAC would work with this new service. It’s now fully compatible and capable of exploit this service?
Thanks. Regards

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #669 of 794
Hi there.
I recently acquired an ifi hip dac, I’m using it with Tidal and couldn’t be more happy. Now with the release of Apple Music Losless I would want to know how the DAC would work with this new service. It’s now fully compatible and capable of exploit this service?
Thanks. Regards

You will have no trouble using apple music to its full ability!

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #671 of 794
Thanks so much for your feedback We appreciate the love and I'm glad you're enjoying a ton out of your new hip-dac!

I'll check in with the team in regards to your questions.

Hi, I am about to order a Hip Dac from your Swiss distributor, slightly concerned I'm going to get the older revision of the unit...can I assume there are good reasons to try and get a v1.2 vs an older model?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #672 of 794
Which firmware is best for Apple Lossless? Obviously MQA support isn’t needed so that isn’t a requirement.

All firmware work with Apple Lossless, you don't need a specific firwmare for it.

Hi, I am about to order a Hip Dac from your Swiss distributor, slightly concerned I'm going to get the older revision of the unit...can I assume there are good reasons to try and get a v1.2 vs an older model?

You're all good! There's no reasons to be concerned and you can update the firmware to match the current versions.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #673 of 794
All firmware work with Apple Lossless, you don't need a specific firwmare for it.

You're all good! There's no reasons to be concerned and you can update the firmware to match the current versions.

Good on the firmware, just curious as to the hardware revisions up to 1.2, someone mentioned they had a battery issue with the first revision and some LED colour differences...

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #674 of 794
Good on the firmware, just curious as to the hardware revisions up to 1.2, someone mentioned they had a battery issue with the first revision and some LED colour differences...

I just checked with our team and we aren't aware of any hardware revisions/1.2 units of the hip-dac.

Can you double-check with your distributor on what they meant?

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #675 of 794
I just checked with our team and we aren't aware of any hardware revisions/1.2 units of the hip-dac.

Can you double-check with your distributor on what they meant?

See above, post 674...talking about revisions, not originating from me or distributor! The poster indicated significant differences between his original and replacement, hence my question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back