iFi audio's worst kept secret: the hip-dac!
May 16, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #301 of 797
Hello Folks.

Finally my Hip Dac reaches me after a month of waiting. Honestly, I am pretty blown away with it. Compact in size, powerful yet undistorted in sound and most of all it can unfold MQA files.

But there's some confusion which I hope any Hip Dac owners can assists.

Can Hip Dac decode MQA files from Tidal app itself?
- Currently am stacking the Hip Dac with my Sony NW-A105 Walkman and playback via Tidal app. AFAIK, in order to get magenta (MQA), I need to use UAPP to play these files. Playback from the app itself will only get you green. But in the process, I noticed there are some MQA tracks do show magenta in my Hip Dac while running from the Tidal app but most of the times it shows green for MQA files which I am clearly aware of it.

Is there something I have missed out or unaware that Hip Dac can decode MQA files in Tidal app itself, if not playback from UAPP? Or is there some missing steps I need to do to have MQA files playback and show as magenta?

As I am writing this, am listening to 'In The End' by Linkin Park (MQA version) via Tidal app and it is showing magenta. And it turn to green when playing 'Bags' by Clairo after the earlier song.

Any suggestions/clarification is much appreciated. Thank and stay safe always!

May 16, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #302 of 797
Hello Folks.

Finally my Hip Dac reaches me after a month of waiting. Honestly, I am pretty blown away with it. Compact in size, powerful yet undistorted in sound and most of all it can unfold MQA files.

But there's some confusion which I hope any Hip Dac owners can assists.

Can Hip Dac decode MQA files from Tidal app itself?
- Currently am stacking the Hip Dac with my Sony NW-A105 Walkman and playback via Tidal app. AFAIK, in order to get magenta (MQA), I need to use UAPP to play these files. Playback from the app itself will only get you green. But in the process, I noticed there are some MQA tracks do show magenta in my Hip Dac while running from the Tidal app but most of the times it shows green for MQA files which I am clearly aware of it.

Is there something I have missed out or unaware that Hip Dac can decode MQA files in Tidal app itself, if not playback from UAPP? Or is there some missing steps I need to do to have MQA files playback and show as magenta?

As I am writing this, am listening to 'In The End' by Linkin Park (MQA version) via Tidal app and it is showing magenta. And it turn to green when playing 'Bags' by Clairo after the earlier song.

Any suggestions/clarification is much appreciated. Thank and stay safe always!
Update from the above

Tried playback from Tidal app with my Samsung Tab A 2019 8" (both this and Sony runs on Android 9 OS) but nothing was magenta and only green. Even the song mentioned shown as magenta is green.

May 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #303 of 797
Update from the above

Tried playback from Tidal app with my Samsung Tab A 2019 8" (both this and Sony runs on Android 9 OS) but nothing was magenta and only green. Even the song mentioned shown as magenta is green.

My Samsung s9 doesn't work with MQA on the hip dac either. Which is a bummer. Works fine with my HP laptop after installing the wasapi driver I found on ifi web page.

May 16, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #304 of 797
My Samsung s9 doesn't work with MQA on the hip dac either. Which is a bummer. Works fine with my HP laptop after installing the wasapi driver I found on ifi web page.
Yeah. All Android devices, except Huawei, needs to run UAPP to enable bit perfect signals to Hip Dac.

Have run each MQA tracks on my Sony via Tidal app, and some its green and some is magenta. Am wondering what's the logic behind it.

Hope iFi Team can help to clarify this. But it still sound very good to me.:L3000:

May 16, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #305 of 797
Yeah. All Android devices, except Huawei, needs to run UAPP to enable bit perfect signals to Hip Dac.

Have run each MQA tracks on my Sony via Tidal app, and some its green and some is magenta. Am wondering what's the logic behind it.

Hope iFi Team can help to clarify this. But it still sound very good to me.:L3000:
I have the same issue with my LG v30 playing Tidal on external DACs that support MQA. Only UAPP gives me full MQA decode.

May 17, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #306 of 797
Hi guys. New to this hobby. I bought this to pair with my FiiO M6 and has been great with my Sony MDR-1AM2 in its balanced cable mode.

I've read people saying they use straps to hold together a smartphone and/or a DAP to a portable amp or DAC. My question is, are these specific strips that are used for audio products to keep them together but require a special material so they don't scratch the service of the equipment? Can someone recommend an eBay or Amazon link to a product I can buy to hold them together? Pardon any ignorance.

May 17, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #307 of 797
Hi guys. New to this hobby. I bought this to pair with my FiiO M6 and has been great with my Sony MDR-1AM2 in its balanced cable mode.

I've read people saying they use straps to hold together a smartphone and/or a DAP to a portable amp or DAC. My question is, are these specific strips that are used for audio products to keep them together but require a special material so they don't scratch the service of the equipment? Can someone recommend an eBay or Amazon link to a product I can buy to hold them together? Pardon any ignorance.
I like these
1014570329.jpg

May 17, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #308 of 797
Woh, I wrote strips when I meant straps. But if you mean use these double sided straps to glue them together from the back, that's not a bad idea, either.

May 18, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #309 of 797

Yes. MQA subjected to any data manipulation effectively stops being MQA. Green LEDs in our products show that what they're getting isn't MQA.

Only UAPP gives me full MQA decode.

Technically it allows you to send MQA outside without changing it :ksc75smile:

I like these
1014570329.jpg

I like these as well!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 18, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #310 of 797
Yes. MQA subjected to any data manipulation effectively stops being MQA. Green LEDs in our products show that what they're getting isn't MQA.
Thanks for the kind clarification. I have now switched to using my iPhone 5s bundled with the Hip Dac with CCK. Awesome SQ am getting from this little beast and am not worry of any confused MQA indicators. :beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

May 21, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #312 of 797
Hi everyone,

Following up here from the impressions thread; as it turns out that the manual sent with the Hip-Dac (link) and some reviewers have been wrong (still awaiting an answer from iFi's support) regarding the ability of the Hip-Dac to be powered by the computer by plugging it to the computer before turning it on, did anyone find a solution to have it not powered by its battery whilst listening to it?
I bought it to listen through the Hip-Dac mainly powered by my computer (as my listening sessions in the office / home office last longer than the c. 8h battery's life), but it turns out this doesn't work. Alternatively might have to send it back and get the Zen instead?

Thanks.

May 21, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #313 of 797
Hi everyone,

Following up here from the impressions thread; as it turns out that the manual sent with the Hip-Dac (link) and some reviewers have been wrong (still awaiting an answer from iFi's support) regarding the ability of the Hip-Dac to be powered by the computer by plugging it to the computer before turning it on, did anyone find a solution to have it not powered by its battery whilst listening to it?
I bought it to listen through the Hip-Dac mainly powered by my computer (as my listening sessions in the office / home office last longer than the c. 8h battery's life), but it turns out this doesn't work. Alternatively might have to send it back and get the Zen instead?

Thanks.
Look back a few pages. They have answered it repeatedly

May 21, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #315 of 797
Indeed, my bad. Apologies for the spam on this issue. Changing to the Zen then!
No spam. I'm aware of the limitations of the the Hip DAC, but it's perfect for my commute on the train. Enjoy the Zen, as I certainly love the Hip DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back