iFi audio's SilentPower Collection: GND Defender, DC Blocker, Nova, and SupaNova!
May 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 190
I received the SupaNova cable today from Amazon. I've been experimenting with placement. It seems to be most effective with digital sources in my system. Right now I've got it powering my iDSD Pro via an iPower Elite. It's too early to make substantive observations, but the quieter/blacker background and cleaner transients were readily apparent as soon as I plugged it in.

I also ordered a SupaNova cable from Amazon and received it over the weekend. I freely admit how skeptical I am of active filtering versus the more traditional passive. It almost feels like a gimmick because the new iFi cables and PowerStation are so compact, lightweight, and sleek compared to the higher gauge audiophile cables with bulky connectors and passive conditioners with large, toroidal transformers shielded in a rack-mounted chassis footprint; however, after a couple days of listening, I concede that this cable (and PowerStation) is really impressive for its price-to-performance. I've tried a lot of power cables and power conditioning equipment, but for $350 this is an easy sell. At the very least, it will show you the gains to be had with a quieter background and the impact it has on your favorite music genres.

I wanted to see how well it worked independently of the PowerStation, so I plugged it into my Chord DAVE directly to the wall. The DAVE is probably the most sensitive audio device I've ever come across in response to power treatment. I listened for a couple days straight and then plugged in my other power cable using the same playlist. I agree, the SupaNova yields a quieter background and cleaner transients versus my current audiophile power cable. It wasn't difficult to appreciate what I was hearing after a couple of songs without much concentration. The low level detail in songs that I was missing before were now coming to the foreground such as audible whispers in the chorus (never even knew these were words) and instruments have greater, palpable separation. Some of the differences were more appreciable on specific songs in my playlist, but the SupaNova allowed me to reduce the volume while still retaining an incredible level of engagement. My ears will thank me later for that.

I then plugged the SupaNova into the PowerStation using the supplied stock cable. I can't say I heard much, if any, improvements over plugging the SupaNova directly into the wall. A couple reviews said upgrading the PowerStation stock cable is highly suggested, so I have another SupaNova cable from Amazon on order. I look forward to doing some listening tests with a SupaNova cable from the wall to the PowerStation and another SupaNova to the DAVE. I will listen to that setup for a couple of days and then plug the SupaNova to the DAVE directly into the wall again for comparison. I'm hoping it yields even greater silence.

TL;DR the SupaNova is an easy recommendation for anyone wanting to try an audiophile power cable that actually reduces mains noise.

May 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #48 of 190
Got my second SupaNova today in the mail. Hooked it up to my Pathos tube amp and immediately the dynamics flattened out and the sound became kind of dull, whether plugged into my PS Audio P5 Power Plant or plugged directly into the wall. Moved the cable to connect my PS Audio P5 power conditioner to the wall and it had the same effect on my connected equipment, squashing the dynamics in the sound. PS Audio warns in the Power Plant manual not to combine any other power conditioning accessories with theirs for fear of unpleasant results, and I've found that to be true of active power conditioning accessories.

Connected the SupaNova between my network switch and the wall and streamed some music via Ethernet to my DAC. Boom! Instant blacker background, snappier transients, and better dynamics. The first SupaNova that I have doing double duty for my DAC and music server (via a two-outlet Keces P8 linear power supply plugged into the wall) made a big improvement there as well. With those two cables inserted into my system, I can hear details in songs that I haven't heard before.

Final arrangement: Digital sources connected directly into the wall outlet via SupaNova, analog amp plugged into the P5 Power Plant with a traditional power cord.

In my system, it seems the SupaNova cables are best suited for digital sources.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #49 of 190
Got my second SupaNova today in the mail. Hooked it up to my Pathos tube amp and immediately the dynamics flattened out and the sound became kind of dull, whether plugged into my PS Audio P5 Power Plant or plugged directly into the wall. Moved the cable to connect my PS Audio P5 power conditioner to the wall and it had the same effect on my connected equipment, squashing the dynamics in the sound. PS Audio warns in the Power Plant manual not to combine any other power conditioning accessories with theirs for fear of unpleasant results, and I've found that to be true of active power conditioning accessories.

Connected the SupaNova between my network switch and the wall and streamed some music via Ethernet to my DAC. Boom! Instant blacker background, snappier transients, and better dynamics. The first SupaNova that I have doing double duty for my DAC and music server (via a two-outlet Keces P8 linear power supply plugged into the wall) made a big improvement there as well. With those two cables inserted into my system, I can hear details in songs that I haven't heard before.

Final arrangement: Digital sources connected directly into the wall outlet via SupaNova, analog amp plugged into the P5 Power Plant with a traditional power cord.

Thx for the hint about the effect it has in conjunction with PS Audio regenerators.
Since I use one of these I should probably skip the supanova

May 14, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #50 of 190

Is your amp affected if you have your network switch and DAC using the SupaNovas plugged into the Power Plant at the same time as it?

May 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #51 of 190
Is your amp affected if you have your network switch and DAC using the SupaNovas plugged into the Power Plant at the same time as it?

When I had the switch and DAC plugged via SupaNovas into the Power Plant, the overall sound was not as vibrant and vivid as plugging them directly into the wall. Did they affect the sound of the amp when they were plugged in? I'm not sure. The overall result was not something I liked. Power Plant + SupaNova = bad combination.

May 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #52 of 190
I just ordered a third SupaNova cable. I must be crazy, but they've made such a dramatic improvement, I'm just going to go with it. I do wish they came in different lengths!

May 14, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #53 of 190
I also ordered a SupaNova cable from Amazon and received it over the weekend. I freely admit how skeptical I am of active filtering versus the more traditional passive. It almost feels like a gimmick because the new iFi cables and PowerStation are so compact, lightweight, and sleek compared to the higher gauge audiophile cables with bulky connectors and passive conditioners with large, toroidal transformers shielded in a rack-mounted chassis footprint; however, after a couple days of listening, I concede that this cable (and PowerStation) is really impressive for its price-to-performance. I've tried a lot of power cables and power conditioning equipment, but for $350 this is an easy sell. At the very least, it will show you the gains to be had with a quieter background and the impact it has on your favorite music genres.

I wanted to see how well it worked independently of the PowerStation, so I plugged it into my Chord DAVE directly to the wall. The DAVE is probably the most sensitive audio device I've ever come across in response to power treatment. I listened for a couple days straight and then plugged in my other power cable using the same playlist. I agree, the SupaNova yields a quieter background and cleaner transients versus my current audiophile power cable. It wasn't difficult to appreciate what I was hearing after a couple of songs without much concentration. The low level detail in songs that I was missing before were now coming to the foreground such as audible whispers in the chorus (never even knew these were words) and instruments have greater, palpable separation. Some of the differences were more appreciable on specific songs in my playlist, but the SupaNova allowed me to reduce the volume while still retaining an incredible level of engagement. My ears will thank me later for that.

I then plugged the SupaNova into the PowerStation using the supplied stock cable. I can't say I heard much, if any, improvements over plugging the SupaNova directly into the wall. A couple reviews said upgrading the PowerStation stock cable is highly suggested, so I have another SupaNova cable from Amazon on order. I look forward to doing some listening tests with a SupaNova cable from the wall to the PowerStation and another SupaNova to the DAVE. I will listen to that setup for a couple of days and then plug the SupaNova to the DAVE directly into the wall again for comparison. I'm hoping it yields even greater silence.

TL;DR the SupaNova is an easy recommendation for anyone wanting to try an audiophile power cable that actually reduces mains noise.

Please let me know your findings once you get your second SupaNova cable and use it with your iFi PowerStation. I'm really curious.

May 14, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #55 of 190
I decided to use one SupaNova to connect a Pangea Audio power strip and two SupaNovas to connect my linear power supply (for my current DAC/music server) and network switch to that. They seem to have an additive effect, based on the two I'm currently using.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #56 of 190
Please let me know your findings once you get your second SupaNova cable and use it with your iFi PowerStation. I'm really curious.

I will get the second SupaNova cable early next week along with 3 iFi AC Purifiers. I’ve got lots of testing configurations lined up. I will post my results and combinations of my 2 SupaNovas, PowerStation, and 3 AC Purifiers here in the thread along with some regression testing with my current power cable.

May 18, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #57 of 190
I experimented again using the SupaNova cables with my PS Audio P5 Power Plant. My hope was that I could plug my analog and digital sources back into the P5 (with the SupaNova cables) and get the same results I get from plugging the amp into the P5 and the digital sources into a separate wall outlet. I now have three total SupaNova cables on hand.

First, I tried using a SupaNova cable to connect the P5 to the wall. I had two of my digital components (network switch, iDSD Pro DAC) plugged into a different wall outlet with two other SupaNova cables. I left my Euphony Summus music server unplugged. The Pathos amp was the only component plugged into the Power Plant, via a PS Audio AC-10 cable. With this setup, I streamed my NAS library through the iDSD (as streamer/DAC) to the Pathos, but a vaseline smear spread across the audio, a haziness to the sound that took me out of the music and brought me back to thinking about cable compatibility. I would guess that the passive filtering built into the P5 and the active filtering of the SupaNova cables did not mesh well together.

Second, I tried connecting the P5 to the wall with my usual passive cable, the PS Audio AC-12. Then I plugged my three digital components (iDSD Pro, network switch, Euphony Summus music server) into the Power Plant with three SupaNova cables. The Pathos stayed where it was, connected to the P5 by the AC-10 cable. I streamed music from the Summus to the iDSD (as DAC) to the Pathos. Now the sound became remarkably clear and all background noise was gone. The music sounded louder now at lower volumes, but the mid-bass and bass became larger than life. No matter how much bass a track had, it was emphasized by this cable combination. Peter Gabriel's music is not very bass-heavy, but the drums in the 2012 remaster of "Red Rain" were so beefed up by my setup that they overtook his relatively quiet voice in the mix. I like bass, don't get me wrong, but this was basshead-level bass in a song that really didn't need it.

Third, I tried dealing with the overly prominent bass by taking one SupaNova out of the mix. I connected the iDSD and Summus via Ghent Audio DC cables to my two-outlet P8 linear power supply and put a single SupaNova cable between the P8 and the Power Plant. When I streamed music from the Summus to the iDSD and Pathos in this combination, there was sibilance and emphasized treble in the music, added to the overpowering bass. Stevie Nicks' voice in the 2017 remaster of "Stand Back" seemed to emphasize all of the Sssssss and played up the thin reediness in her voice. Adding my P8 linear power supply to the mix created a sound like if I had asked for more of everything -- bass, mid-bass, treble -- and received too much of each individual part, without it adding up to an even whole. This deconstructive approach to the music gave me a headache after a short while.

As a result, I have given up trying to reintegrate my components with SupaNova cables into my P5 Power Plant. I'm now experimenting with an iFi Powerstation for the digital components in my audio setup.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #58 of 190
I will get the second SupaNova cable early next week along with 3 iFi AC Purifiers. I’ve got lots of testing configurations lined up. I will post my results and combinations of my 2 SupaNovas, PowerStation, and 3 AC Purifiers here in the thread along with some regression testing with my current power cable.

I experimented again using the SupaNova cables with my PS Audio P5 Power Plant. My hope was that I could plug my analog and digital sources back into the P5 (with the SupaNova cables) and get the same results I get from plugging the amp into the P5 and the digital sources into a separate wall outlet. I now have three total SupaNova cables on hand.

First, I tried using a SupaNova cable to connect the P5 to the wall. I had two of my digital components (network switch, iDSD Pro DAC) plugged into a different wall outlet with two other SupaNova cables. I left my Euphony Summus music server unplugged. The Pathos amp was the only component plugged into the Power Plant, via a PS Audio AC-10 cable. With this setup, I streamed my NAS library through the iDSD (as streamer/DAC) to the Pathos, but a vaseline smear spread across the audio, a haziness to the sound that took me out of the music and brought me back to thinking about cable compatibility. I would guess that the passive filtering built into the P5 and the active filtering of the SupaNova cables did not mesh well together.

Second, I tried connecting the P5 to the wall with my usual passive cable, the PS Audio AC-12. Then I plugged my three digital components (iDSD Pro, network switch, Euphony Summus music server) into the Power Plant with three SupaNova cables. The Pathos stayed where it was, connected to the P5 by the AC-10 cable. I streamed music from the Summus to the iDSD (as DAC) to the Pathos. Now the sound became remarkably clear and all background noise was gone. The music sounded louder now at lower volumes, but the mid-bass and bass became larger than life. No matter how much bass a track had, it was emphasized by this cable combination. Peter Gabriel's music is not very bass-heavy, but the drums in the 2012 remaster of "Red Rain" were so beefed up by my setup that they overtook his relatively quiet voice in the mix. I like bass, don't get me wrong, but this was basshead-level bass in a song that really didn't need it.

Third, I tried dealing with the overly prominent bass by taking one SupaNova out of the mix. I connected the iDSD and Summus via Ghent Audio DC cables to my two-outlet P8 linear power supply and put a single SupaNova cable between the P8 and the Power Plant. When I streamed music from the Summus to the iDSD and Pathos in this combination, there was sibilance and emphasized treble in the music, added to the overpowering bass. Stevie Nick's voice in the 2017 remaster of "Stand Back" seemed to emphasize all of the Sssssss and played up the thin reediness in her voice. Adding my P8 linear power supply to the mix created a sound like if I had asked for more of everything -- bass, mid-bass, treble -- and received too much of each individual part, without it adding up to an even whole. This deconstructive approach to the music gave me a headache after a short while.

As a result, I have given up trying to reintegrate my components with SupaNova cables into my P5 Power Plant. I'm now experimenting with an iFi Powerstation for the digital components in my audio setup.

Look forward to both of your continued feedback and impressions!

May 20, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #59 of 190
Hello,

I'm interested in the Supanova cable for its ANC 2 feature. I have a vintage amp that have its own non-removable power cable.
It would still benefit from ANC 2 if I insert the Supanova between the wall outlet and the amp's cable with the following adapter, right ?
(Wall outlet > Supanova cable > adapter > amp's power cable > amp)

Attachments

• 718MtoUuMWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    718MtoUuMWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #60 of 190
It would seem so, yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back