iFi audio's SilentPower Collection: GND Defender, DC Blocker, Nova, and SupaNova!
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #182 of 192
I installed the GND after getting rare periodic hum in my setup. I have not experienced any hum after the install.
I did the same with my tube amp and it greatly reduced the background hum so a very good product.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #184 of 192
@stuck limo @TheAbyss2022 I would like to see measurements that the hum has decreased.
It's periodic HUUUMMMMM. I don't need to take measurements to show that the rare HUUUMMMMM flooding my headphones isn't there or was replaced by " " (silence).

This is that weird thing that the other site does that demands all reporting and listening be done in a laboratory, real world listening and conditions be damned.

If the loud and obnoxious HUUUMMMMM comes back I'll let you and everyone else know.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #185 of 192
A question regarding power setup.

Currently running my gear from the wall with rather cheap shielded copper cables (around 100 eu per cable) and decided to upgrade to match Envy with May.
The idea is to get 3 supanova cables and ifi powerstation, which will result roughly in a 1.5-1.7k purchase. Which is a lot. To those who are more versed in the ways of power lol - are there any better solutions?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #186 of 192
A question regarding power setup.

Currently running my gear from the wall with rather cheap shielded copper cables (around 100 eu per cable) and decided to upgrade to match Envy with May.
The idea is to get 3 supanova cables and ifi powerstation, which will result roughly in a 1.5-1.7k purchase. Which is a lot. To those who are more versed in the ways of power lol - are there any better solutions?
The puritan 156 power conditioner lists for 1.8k and can probably be had for 1.5-1.7 if one asks for a deal.
It's supposedly way better than the iFi solution, even with your current cables.

I say supposedly since I haven't tried either.

I got my PS Audio stellar p3 Power plant used for 1.8k and I assume It's also superior to the iFi solution, however you'd have to go used

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #187 of 192
The puritan 156 power conditioner lists for 1.8k and can probably be had for 1.5-1.7 if one asks for a deal.
It's supposedly way better than the iFi solution, even with your current cables.

I say supposedly since I haven't tried either.

I got my PS Audio stellar p3 Power plant used for 1.8k and I assume It's also superior to the iFi solution, however you'd have to go used
Niagara 1200 is another variant. I am just not sure if its worth the money, maybe should try the amazon stuff and return if there is zero difference, hm.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #188 of 192
Niagara 1200 is another variant. I am just not sure if its worth the money, maybe should try the amazon stuff and return if there is zero difference, hm.
From what I read the Puritan is way better than the lower Niagara stuff

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #189 of 192
Will check, thx! What change did you experience with your Envy back in the day?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #190 of 192
Will check, thx! What change did you experience with your Envy back in the day?
Way blacker background, seemingly better subbass extension, more clarity

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #191 of 192
I noticed the ifi DC blocker 4A continues 7A max does hamper the dynamics of my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos.

Bass doesn't reach as deep and drums don't pound as hard also I think it sound brighter and maybe more sibilant. I do think it can sound cleaner though and more articulate. But i prefer with out it.

It does lower the transformer hum/electrical noise from my Hypsos though.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #192 of 192
@Leto Dal i have both Niagara 1000 and ifi powerstation and to my ears ifi sounds a little cleaner, more detailed and brighter i thought it sounded more sibilant in the beginning but that might have disappeared with burn in time but not sure though. And i haven't compared them lately since i bought power station some year ago. Niagara 1000 i use for my TV and apple Tv4k. And ifi powerstation for Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and DMP-A6 streamer. I plan to switch up at some point so Niagara for audio duty and ifi for Tv duty.

I am happy with both and powerstation is very good at dynamics and bass punch imo maybe slightly better there then Niagara 1000 but as I said haven't compared for long time and new gear and tweaks has been introduced since then. My felling is ifi powerstation is great for the price.

Go with the puritan if you want the best of the best. It seem very popular here on head fi and many seem to own it. And it got great reputation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back