iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Mar 12, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #3,811 of 5,941
I have been waiting on your review on wiim.
I did receive it and putting it thru my paces! Lol

I have only had it for about a week or so and I’ma but limited at the moment and would like to be fair to the Wiim, also in contact with them regarding some updates that right now limit my ability to give it a fair shot!

Briefly I do like it and I can clearly see a use for it, but again I’ve always tried to be fair!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 12, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #3,812 of 5,941
I did receive it and putting it thru my paces! Lol

I have only had it for about a week or so and I’ma but limited at the moment and would like to be fair to the Wiim, also in contact with them regarding some updates that right now limit my ability to give it a fair shot!

Briefly I do like it and I can clearly see a use for it, but again I’ve always tried to be fair!

Cheers!!
I have linear power supply and wiim does improved just like stream. I asked them many things and Amazon Ultra HD is the next big update coming very soon. So far, their updates are on the right track being delivered on time.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #3,814 of 5,941
Thanks, something is going on with my unit that my Tidal does not see the streamer.
That happens to me every once in a while. When it does this I have power-cycled the Zen Stream and Tidal Connect works again.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,816 of 5,941
I would like to know when the roon ready completion will be available?
A schedule for this would be possible or will it not exist anymore? I'll wait a whole year in July :frowning2: Unfortunately I need the certification because I use roon essentials and only then have my desired use.
@ I follow this almost daily and you guys are a good community.
Greetings from the far north

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #3,818 of 5,941
Any update on Chromecast. I notice Chromecast has been removed from Ifi's webpage for the stream. Is all lost and I should give up expecting it to be added? It was the main reason I purchased. Should have waited longer.

We are still working on this, and finding alternative ways to support Qobuz directly in the meantime as well.

A schedule for this would be possible or will it not exist anymore? I'll wait a whole year in July :frowning2: Unfortunately I need the certification because I use roon essentials and only then have my desired use.

We understand this is a limitation for folks who can only use Roon Essentials! We hear you, and hope we can provide updates soon.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #3,819 of 5,941
Thanks Sebastien. Chromecast is not just about Qobuz....it is about Youtube Music and other streaming services. It is also about a feature promoted in Ifi's advertising and website that convinced consumers to buy the product. I hope Chromecast is still a priority and comes soon.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,820 of 5,941
Daran arbeiten wir noch und finden in der Zwischenzeit alternative Möglichkeiten, Qobuz direkt zu unterstützen.

Wir verstehen, dass dies eine Einschränkung für Leute ist, die nur Roon Essentials verwenden können! Wir hören Ihnen zu und hoffen, dass wir bald Updates bereitstellen können.
Noch einmal zur Roon-Ready-Zertifizierung, gibt es bitte einen verlässlichen Zeitplan?
dass man daran gearbeitet hat und Updates zur Verfügung stellen will, wurde beim Kauf versprochen und jetzt sind es 3/4 Jahre.

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,821 of 5,941
Ready to throw my unit in the trash, setting 3 does not work with tidal connect. I guess I can go back to setting one. But my god Too many quirks, very frustrating. I have updated software more times I can remember. Don’t get it.
Can anybody that uses setting 3 explain the process maybe I am doing something wrong. I use wired connection. What’s the order? Switching DAc to zen input, turning zen on and finally opening Tidal? Or is it Tidal first? Lol should not be this hard

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #3,822 of 5,941
Ready to throw my unit in the trash, setting 3 does not work with tidal connect. I guess I can go back to setting one. But my god Too many quirks, very frustrating. I have updated software more times I can remember. Don’t get it.
Can anybody that uses setting 3 explain the process maybe I am doing something wrong. I use wired connection. What’s the order? Switching DAc to zen input, turning zen on and finally opening Tidal? Or is it Tidal first? Lol should not be this hard
I think no patching would solved everyone’s issue till they move to volumio V3.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #3,823 of 5,941
Just read a review from someone on another forum with a very high end system comparing streamers at many different price points. He ended up keeping the Zen Stream. He almost returned it after using USB at first. He complained about lots of digital glare. He switched to COAX and said it sounded like a completely different streamer, much better to him.

Has anyone else done any detailed comparisons between the USB and COAX outputs? Of course the DAC and cables used will make a big difference as well, but I’d still like to hear some feedback from more users.

I have a Bifrost 2 and have only used the USB so far. I invested in a “nice” USB cable for the first time, and it sounds great to me. I’m wondering if it’s worth investing in a quality COAX cable as well to compare. For now, I’ll wait to hear from other owners.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #3,824 of 5,941
Me and two close HiFi friends got Zen Stream for our setups(very different). At the beginning the sound is bloated with bass and after 20-40 hours of playing it does get much better.
Our findings are that on USB the sound has somehow too much width and depth. We switched to COAX for a comparison. It was much more real sounding overall. Even with cheap coax cable or analog one. Voices are better too. Over all, COAX is nicer for us.

So if you have some spare analog or cheap COAX cable do test it right away!

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,825 of 5,941
I was wondering how you have your ELAC Discovery (roon essentials) hooked up via the Zen Stream? The only way that I've found the ifi Zen Stream on the ELAC Discovery (roon essentials) is through airplay which is only 16/44.1 lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back