iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 28, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,511 of 5,936
I don't think that's right. In Roon I can stream to both USB and coax simultaneously and then play on either inputs on my DAC. No way for me to check as I don't have two DACs though but going back and forth USB/coax on my unit plays just fine and different songs, too.
I don't know about Roon but for regular use you must choose the desired output.
Unless they have changed something with a newer firmware update because it's been a long since I have returned the loaned unit.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #3,513 of 5,936
Well, I'm taking a gamble on a "nice" USB cable to go between my Zen Stream and Bifrost 2. I got a good deal on an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver 0.7m USB cable, so we'll see if I notice a difference between it and my generic 2m cable.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,514 of 5,936
I did a back to back test between ZS and Apple TV 3rd gen this evening.

Apple Music > iPhone 12 mini > Airplay 1 > ZS > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2

Versus

Apple Music > iPad mini 5 > Airplay 1 > Apple TV 3rd gen > Toslink optical > RME ADI-DAC 2

Approach was to play the same lossless (16/44.1) track on each device and keep switching the RME between inputs every 10 seconds, with volumes matched as well as possible. Listened to a selection of folky songs with lots of acoustics.

The upshot was ….. hardly any difference to my ears. The Apple TV route was slightly (very slightly) more shrill with mid-highs, where as the ZS route was slightly more smooth / rounded. I can imagine AppleTV being tiring to listen to after a while whereas ZS more relaxing.

The results might be affected by the RME DAC that masks shortcomings in the source, so I next hope to repeat with a different DAC.

Of course, AppleTV and Airplay 1 is limited to 16/48, so ZS comes into its own at higher bit/SR resolutions.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #3,515 of 5,936
Wow, I learnt something new.
I did a back to back test between ZS and Apple TV 3rd gen this evening.

Apple Music > iPhone 12 mini > Airplay 1 > ZS > USB > RME ADI-DAC 2

Versus

Apple Music > iPad mini 5 > Airplay 1 > Apple TV 3rd gen > Toslink optical > RME ADI-DAC 2

Approach was to play the same lossless (16/44.1) track on each device and keep switching the RME between inputs every 10 seconds, with volumes matched as well as possible. Listened to a selection of folky songs with lots of acoustics.

The upshot was ….. hardly any difference to my ears. The Apple TV route was slightly (very slightly) more shrill with mid-highs, where as the ZS route was slightly more smooth / rounded. I can imagine AppleTV being tiring to listen to after a while whereas ZS more relaxing.

The results might be affected by the RME DAC that masks shortcomings in the source, so I next hope to repeat with a different DAC.

Of course, AppleTV and Airplay 1 is limited to 16/48, so ZS comes into its own at higher bit/SR resolutions.
to just complete your comparison with the bit perfect reference without involving lossy Airplay: how did you like Apple Music lossless out of your IPAD hooked to your DAC?

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3,516 of 5,936
Wow, I learnt something new.

to just complete your comparison with the bit perfect reference without involving lossy Airplay: how did you like Apple Music lossless out of your IPAD hooked to your DAC?
I’ve not tried that yet. I need to get a camera adapter.

Airplay 1 from IOS is lossless by the way, but limited to 16/44.1

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #3,517 of 5,936
I’ve not tried that yet. I need to get a camera adapter.

Airplay 1 is lossless by the way, but limited to 16/44.1
And also TVOS is limited as you know.
So you won't be able to play e.g 24/96 or 24/192 from there which is working on both IPad and IPhone.
So if your DAC is reachable from your listening position an OTG adapter is definitely a must-buy for you.
I am hooking up my DAC directly via USB to my IPad though owning Zen Stream just for the sake of Apple Music as it's not available in Roon

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,518 of 5,936
And also TVOS is limited as you know.
So you won't be able to play e.g 24/96 or 24/192 from there which is working on both IPad and IPhone.
So if your DAC is reachable from your listening position an OTG adapter is definitely a must-buy for you.
I am hooking up my DAC though owning Zen Stream just for the sake of Apple Music as it's not available in Roon
I agree. For me it is a trade between being wired from my listening position, versus wireless. Wireless is so much more comfortable, and unless there is a marked improvement when wired, then I’d stick with Airplay and 16/44.1. I’d then hope that Apple will get round to updating the protocol in the future, which I think they will else why have hiRes audio on their streaming service that their hardware can’t easily make use of.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,519 of 5,936
I agree. For me it is a trade between being wired from my listening position, versus wireless. Wireless is so much more comfortable, and unless there is a marked improvement when wired, then I’d stick with Airplay and 16/44.1. I’d then hope that Apple will get round to updating the protocol in the future, which I think they will else why have hiRes audio on their streaming service that their hardware can’t easily make use of.
Don't want to stress that topic too much but imho Airplay etc is fine when lowering expectations and run with the likes of Airpod Max etc which I like alot too but not for the serious listening.
When listening to your RME you re anyway wired and therefore I don't really see the reason of needing a wireless connection.
Such a lightning dongle is really affordable and will definitely raise your listening experience by 2 levels without needing any additional Streamer.
I'd even go as far and say that an IPad with Bitperfect playback into a DAC is competing with dedicated streamers which are more expensive than Zen Stream

Streamers are then fine for your local library and playing Roon, HQPlayer etc and even there an IOS device can work as an endpoint with up to 768khz bitrate into a connected DAC.
That has made me questioning even the need of a Streamer.
But the Streamer still has technical advantages over the IPad with Ethernet playback vs WiFi and power purifying and a purist software design.
So I assume it will best the iPad in a measured test setup.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #3,520 of 5,936
Don't want to stress that topic too much but imho Airplay etc is fine when lowering expectations and run with the likes of Airpod Max etc which I like alot too but not for the serious listening.
When listening to your RME you re anyway wired and therefore I don't really see the reason of needing a wireless connection.
Such a lightning dongle is really affordable and will definitely raise your listening experience by 2 levels without needing any additional Streamer.
I'd even go as far and say that an IPad with Bitperfect playback into a DAC is competing with dedicated streamers which are more expensive than Zen Stream

Streamers are then fine for your local library and playing Roon, HQPlayer etc and even there an IOS device can work as an endpoint with up to 768khz bitrate...
Very well said!

That's the way I run my bedroom system sometimes, iPad or Android tablet direct to the Dac.

I recently just moved my 2nd ZS there so I use that more now!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #3,521 of 5,936
Very well said!

That's the way I run my bedroom system sometimes, iPad or Android tablet direct to the Dac.

I recently just moved my 2nd ZS there so I use that more now!

Cheers!!
Also wanted to thank you guys for the hint of assigning both SPDIF and USB in Roon.
I have both ports connected to my DAC and can seemlessly switch between HQPlayer DSD256 on USB to PCM on SPDIF using the same Streamer.
That's awesome.
Am currently questioning the need of my dedicated NAA and might stick with only Zen Stream at the end...

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #3,522 of 5,936
@Sebastien Chiu I’m looking at some linear power supplies to use with the Zen Stream. I need some clarification on the size the dc input connector on the ZS. The most common options out there seem to be 5.5 x 2.5mm or 5.5 x 2.1mm. I just wanted to make sure whatever I buy has the correct dc connector to work with the ZS. Thanks for the info!

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,523 of 5,936
@Sebastien Chiu I’m looking at some linear power supplies to use with the Zen Stream. I need some clarification on the size the dc input connector on the ZS. The most common options out there seem to be 5.5 x 2.5mm or 5.5 x 2.1mm. I just wanted to make sure whatever I buy has the correct dc connector to work with the ZS. Thanks for the info!
Just get an IFI and you won't risk anything.
Ifi iPowerX is affordable and better than stock and fits without adapters.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #3,524 of 5,936
Just get an IFI and you won't risk anything.
Ifi iPowerX is affordable and better than stock and fits without adapters.
I’m considering the iPower X, but I’ve read conflicting impressions on whether or not this will be an audible upgrade. I’m also looking at the iFi Elite, but it cost almost as much as the Zen Stream!

From what I’ve read, everyone that has used a quality LPS has heard noticeable improvements. That being said, I am enjoying the ZS with the stock generic wall wart, so I may not even upgrade power supplies any time soon.

It would be good to know the dimensions of the dc connector that will fit the ZS for future reference though. I’m sure the info will be relevant to others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back